UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Favorite study bible?

1/5/12 10:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Eggmachine
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can anyone recommend a good study bible? I'm looking to add another and was hoping you guys had some suggestions. Thanks
1/6/12 9:28 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I collect them...and this is why

I CAN'T FIND THE PERFECT ONE!!!

Quest niv study bible

Apologetics study bible

Life application study bible

Esv study bible.

HCSB study bible

Greek/Hebrew study bible

Pick any of the above...I have those and more Phone Post
1/7/12 2:13 PM
Eggmachine
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been interested in the apologetics study bible for a while. I've also heard great things about the esv all across the board. Do you have the zondervan study bible? I have heard it has the most notes.
1/7/12 8:00 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drop me a line at wakingfireministries@gmail.com and the esv is yours as a "love gift" (haha tbn) free of charge...just an address to mail it to Phone Post
1/7/12 8:01 PM
DyingBreed

Don't have the zondervan, and the apologetics is a beautiful and great bible Phone Post
1/8/12 1:22 PM
Eggmachine

What's the minimum donation for the "love gift?". Haha, I sent you an email.
1/8/12 2:45 PM
DyingBreed

Haha, no donation required, just gimme a couple weeks to send it cuz I'm on dayshift for another week and the P.O is closed when I get off work. When I go back on seconds I will send it before work one day. Trust me, it's worth the wait, I just never have time to read it and it's just collecting dust on my bookshelf. I like to give away stuff from time to time and this is one of those times Phone Post
2/18/12 9:44 AM
BJJWRESTLER
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a Dickson(or Dixson) Study Bible,it is an older study Bible,it's loaded with info.
2/18/12 9:52 AM
BJJWRESTLER
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depending on you're leaning Theology wise,I come from a Charismatic background,and I have the following-1.Dakes Study Bible-Talk about having a ton of info is an understatement
2.Mark T Barclay Study Bible-The Church I belong to is under Dr Barclay,Love his teaching and this Bible.
3.Rhema Study Bible-Kenneth Hagin's Study Bible,Good lessons in the front of the Bible,and this is the nicest Bible I have,Beautiful,thick Leather and the pages are thick and put together very sturdy.
4.Kenneth Copeland Study Bible-My favorite study Bible,I find myself going back to it frequently. Front has a lot of Teaching/Lessons,Subjects prayer,Holy Spirit,Covenant,etc.
5.Jerry Savelle Study Bible-Another favorite,it is an parallel Bible(Amplified/King James),use it a bunch
2/20/12 12:03 AM
DyingBreed

How u get Copeland and Barclays bible? Guessing it's on their website?

Say what u want about KC, but every time I've watched him I haven't seen anything wrong with what he preaches. He believes in salvation through Jesus only, and holiness...everything else has been on par as well. Don't know why all the assumed hate toward these guys.

Guess the ones who fell kinda make people assume the worse about all of them. Preachers are human too Phone Post
2/21/12 2:48 AM
BJJWRESTLER

DyingBreed, I love Brother Copeland! Yes,you can order from the KCM website,and Brother Barclays website also.
I am in Jerry Savelle's Bible College,if you don't know him,he came up under Kenneth.
2/21/12 3:37 AM
DyingBreed

Yeah, I know him...I just downloaded a sermon from him on iTunes.

Is the college cool? Jesse Duplantis ever come around? Phone Post
2/23/12 12:43 AM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eggmachine - Can anyone recommend a good study bible? I'm looking to add another and was hoping you guys had some suggestions. Thanks
I like the ESV Study Bible. HCSB Study Bible, Zondervan KJV Study Bible, and The New Geneva Study bible interest me as well. Phone Post
2/23/12 6:00 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use the Reformation Study Bible.

It's fun!
2/23/12 9:19 PM
Ridgeback
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you choose a study Bible you are simply choosing an extra-biblical authority to be your teacher.  And of course this authority will color your understanding and interpretation of scripture, just like translators who translate words to better fit their theologies influence people to see the world through their particular lenses do.  
2/24/12 4:29 AM
DyingBreed

What if the study bible states merely fact? Like the archaeological study bible ridge

Study bibles with themes may do that, but most scripture, like the words of Jesus are pretty straight forward and even the life application study bible just gives you hints on how to apply the principles daily Phone Post
2/24/12 4:30 AM
DyingBreed

Barbito,

What are some of the stuff you like about the reformation one? Care to list them? I considered this one a few weeks ago Phone Post
2/24/12 12:22 PM
Ridgeback
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed -  What if the study bible states merely fact? Like the archaeological study bible ridge

Study bibles with themes may do that, but most scripture, like the words of Jesus are pretty straight forward and even the life application study bible just gives you hints on how to apply the principles daily Phone Post

You are assuming that language is neutral but I don't believe that.  The very nature of translating implies an imposition of biases and cultural differences.  

Not sure what you mean by "merely fact" since most things related to history and archeology aren't "merely fact" but rather interpretation of evidence.  But if you mean something like the likeness of Salome on a coin then sure that can be a mere fact.  I wasn't implying that the maps were misleading people.

My point is there is no such thing as a tradition neutral reading of scripture.  You bring your biases with you.  If your first teachers present a Rapture then you will believe the Rapture is taught in scriptures (as countless Americans came to believe after the publication of the Scofield reference Bible).  To read any study Bible is to declare the people who put it together your interpreters and authorities.  If that is the case, then you might want to check into their lives.  After all, you are letting your salvation hinge on their veracity.
2/24/12 2:14 PM
DyingBreed

I get what you're saying now. But one can weigh what is read as well and see if they agree. Although I'm sure quite a few don't and just take it as its read. For example, some study bibles teach that the gifts of the spirit are no longer needed, some don't.

And rapture...I've been taught it my whole life, and just recently in the last 5 years have started seeing the other side.

I like the quest study bible. It kind of steers away from telling you opinion and answers questions you stumble upon as you are reading like "why did he say THAT?" in reference to the culture at that time. Or what "casting lots" entailed.

I like a more literal translation like the NASB, but I'm sure it's not a "perfect" translation either Phone Post
2/24/12 3:58 PM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ridgeback -  When you choose a study Bible you are simply choosing an extra-biblical authority to be your teacher.  And of course this authority will color your understanding and interpretation of scripture, just like translators who translate words to better fit their theologies influence people to see the world through their particular lenses do.  
Good Point. Phone Post
2/24/12 8:03 PM
Ridgeback

DyingBreed -  I get what you're saying now. But one can weigh what is read as well and see if they agree. Although I'm sure quite a few don't and just take it as its read. For example, some study bibles teach that the gifts of the spirit are no longer needed, some don't.

And rapture...I've been taught it my whole life, and just recently in the last 5 years have started seeing the other side.

I like the quest study bible. It kind of steers away from telling you opinion and answers questions you stumble upon as you are reading like "why did he say THAT?" in reference to the culture at that time. Or what "casting lots" entailed.

I like a more literal translation like the NASB, but I'm sure it's not a "perfect" translation either Phone Post

I certainly don't have a problem with study Bibles.  I think they can be incredibly helpful.  My only point is that people should use them consciously, being aware of who the people are that are doing the notes and where they are coming from.  

And I was taught the Rapture most of my life as well.  I had to get outside of that tradition to measure it against what other Christians had believed in other times and places.  Now I see it as a fairly novel and local concept that the vast majority of Christians in other times and places had no belief in apart from the much more common belief in the Second Coming as the end of history.  
2/24/12 8:51 PM
Ali
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/24/12 8:52 PM
Ridgeback - 
I certainly don't have a problem with study Bibles.  I think they can be incredibly helpful.  ...

Ridge has made the point that different translations vary in important ways due to prior theological commitments, as well.
I think different translations of the bible can also be incredibly helpful.
2/26/12 10:22 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed -  Barbito,

What are some of the stuff you like about the reformation one? Care to list them? I considered this one a few weeks ago Phone Post

#1. It doesn't "interpret scripture for me". Scripture is always "self interpreting".

#2. I like that it gives insight to the date and audience of each book. I like that it gives references to the original text.

Example - Acts 16:16 talks about a demon possesed girl who could tell the future.

The original text doesn't say that. It says "a girl with the spirit of a python". The Greek audience at that time would have understood about the oracle at Delphi who was guarded by a giant python and that the python gave the power to see into the future.

The moderen text says the "same thing" but it just cuts to the heart of the matter about her being possed and being able to see the future. 

#3. I have studied church history for over ten years and this study bible is spot on with it's commentary.
2/26/12 9:20 PM
DyingBreed

That settles it...looks like I'll be buying the reformation one too haha

Thanks for responding Phone Post
2/26/12 11:14 PM
Demitrius Barbito

"""After all, you are letting your salvation hinge on their veracity."""

Salvation doesn't hinge on HOW you read scripture. If you have been "moved to read scripture by the power of the Holy Spirit" you are saved.

The bible says the word of God is foolishness to those who are perishing. So if you are drawn to the word of God by the power of the Spirit you're good.

Going through different translations and looking into different study bibles and being in Christian community and confessing our sins to one another and bearing one anothers burdens are the means God has given us to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling".

Mistakes will be made. We are all being progressivly sanctified. It gets messy. There will be a continuing cycle of sin and repentance.

Love eachother well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.