UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Favorite study bible?

2/27/12 8:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JudOWNED
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ridgeback -  When you choose a study Bible you are simply choosing an extra-biblical authority to be your teacher.  And of course this authority will color your understanding and interpretation of scripture, just like translators who translate words to better fit their theologies influence people to see the world through their particular lenses do.  

This is true, but is not a reason to avoid study bibles.  Rather it is reason to make sure the study bible you choose was written by theologians whom you are in agreement with. 

I use the Concordia Self Study Bible in NIV.  However, there is also the Lutheran Study Bible in ESV.  I do have the regular Zondervan NIV study Bible, which I find not much different in most respects.  And where it is different, I am theologically aware enough to know.
2/27/12 8:33 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And where it is different, I am theologically aware enough to know.

By the grace of God...

Without being a "total" cocksucker... I really like your position on this...

I know all too well it IS ALL A GIFT...

Love eachother well.

2/28/12 8:58 AM
JudOWNED
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/28/12 8:58 AM
 lol at not "being a "total" cocksucker", Demetrius!  But yeah, you're right of course.  So, you just do you the best you can and realize you are supposed to be studying and criticallly examining it all anyway.

9/1/12 8:55 AM
phydeau
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't believe the thread made it two pages without anyone mentioning the Thompson Chain Referance Study Bible.
9/3/12 4:09 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

phydeau - I can't believe the thread made it two pages without anyone mentioning the Thompson Chain Referance Study Bible.
Oh, I have one of those too, just got it so long ago that I don't think of it much Phone Post
9/3/12 5:45 PM
phydeau
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The hippy church I went to back in the day would give Thompson Chain Referance Study Bibles to missionaries going out to the field, so they didn't have to carry more than one book with them.

Bible
Concordance
Bible Handbook
Cyclopedic Referance

all in one book.

Their site has a video on how to get the most out of all the built-in study helps. It's really amazing how much is in it.
9/3/12 5:53 PM
phydeau

And now a bit or useless historical information.

Study bibles like the Schofield, Ryrie, Nelson Study bible (previously the Open Bible) the NIV Study Bible, the ESV Study bible, are all popular but they are not new.

Back in the day the Brits had a bible called the Bishop's Bible. Line many modern study bibles the Bishop's Bible has copious footnotes giving the interpratation of various passages, all of these composed and approved by the Chruch of England.

There was a gereral outcry among the people for a new, different bible. One without the commentary. The people wanted to to read the bible for themselves, and decide for themselves what it ment without input from "official" sources.

So an entirely new bible translation was commisioned, one with just the text faithfully rendered into English. It was published in 1611, and was well recieved by clergy & layity alike.

This new bible with no built-in study helps became known by the name of the king who commisioned it - The King James Version.
9/5/12 12:52 AM
gatorgar
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

phydeau - I can't believe the thread made it two pages without anyone mentioning the Thompson Chain Referance Study Bible.

I have a Thompson Chain-Reference study bible and I really like it a lot.
9/10/12 9:44 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is another free study bible to the first one to pick out of the choices below. Please only pick if you really want it and will USE it. It will be sent by Thursday of this week to the first to email wakingfireministries@gmail.com

All are in perfect condition with the exception that one or two may have my name on it.

Brb with the list... Phone Post
9/10/12 9:51 AM
DyingBreed

Only ONE will be given away...

Ever increasing faith study bible KC Price

Parallel NASB/AMP

Charles Stanley life principles NASB translation

The WORD study bible (faith movement preachers such as Kenneth Copeland, Hagin, Sevelle, and such)

Life application NIV study bible (alligator leather)

Thompson chain NIV

HCSB study bible (beautiful)

CS Lewis study bible NRSV version Phone Post
9/10/12 9:52 AM
DyingBreed

Those are the ones I am willing to part with dude to lack of use. The legends like the Dake or Quest I am unwilling due to the concise yet detailed perfection Phone Post
9/10/12 9:54 AM
DyingBreed

Ok, my generosity has gotten the best of me. All the ones mentioned above are free to those who want them. Please only choose ONE. I'll assume your honesty. Just give me time to get them sent out as funds are available. Phone Post
9/10/12 9:56 AM
DyingBreed

All I need are addresses to send them to Phone Post
9/10/12 1:42 PM
JudOWNED

I'm not going to take one, because I have plenty. But that's a stand up thing to do, Breed. VTFU (if I could).
9/10/12 7:57 PM
JudOWNED

As it turns out, I can! Muds get one vote a day.
9/11/12 12:13 AM
Eggmachine
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I still owe breed a public thank you for the ESV study bible. I really love it. Thanks again.
9/11/12 2:33 AM
gatorgar
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed, if it hasn't already been spoken for, I would like to get the HCSB study bible. Let me know and I'll pm you my address, also, if you want, I can paypal you some cash to cover the shipping. This is an amazing thing you're doing man, kudos to you.
9/11/12 2:55 AM
DyingBreed

Haha, thanks bro! Phone Post
9/11/12 2:56 AM
DyingBreed

Eggmachine - I think I still owe breed a public thank you for the ESV study bible. I really love it. Thanks again.
Very welcome Phone Post
9/11/12 2:56 AM
DyingBreed

DyingBreed - Haha, thanks bro! Phone Post
That's for the vote up Phone Post
9/11/12 2:57 AM
DyingBreed

gatorgar - DyingBreed, if it hasn't already been spoken for, I would like to get the HCSB study bible. Let me know and I'll pm you my address, also, if you want, I can paypal you some cash to cover the shipping. This is an amazing thing you're doing man, kudos to you.
If you don't care, email me at the addy in my post. I'm rarely on a comp any more, and you can't check pm's through the app that I'm aware of Phone Post
9/11/12 5:13 PM
phydeau

You're getting to me, Breed. I'll check my library. I know I've got a bunch of study bibles I'm not using.

For you home bible study leaders, here's a thing, though:

Keep an inventory of common study bibles, and when you lead a bible study on a particular passage, check the footnotes and see what they say.

I used to lead a home group, and one of my regulars had a study bible that wasn't part of my regular rotation. I'd have someone read a passage, provide the cultural & historical context, have people read a few passages from other books of the bible on similar topics, and then we'd discuss personal application.

When the group was done, this woman would then say something like "That's all good, but it says here that the CORRECT meaning is..." Then she'd make me look like a chump in front of the group. She pulled this on me twice, two weeks in a row.

After that, I started checking foot notes in popular study bibles so I'd always have an answer ready when a wise guy tried to contradict me.
9/12/12 3:28 AM
DyingBreed

One uppers^ lol

Hope they didn't have that smug look while doing it :)

Btw, the thompson chain in my list is the extra I have. That bible is too brilliant for me to not have in my collection. And I have the HCSB study bible on this iPod, so I use it mostly. Worth every cent, and is soooo much quicker.

Still, haven't found the PERFECT one IMO

But I'll keep looking fo sho Phone Post
4/1/13 3:07 AM
Large Intestine
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Orthodox Study Bible Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.