UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> King Mo: Let Kim Winslow fight Cris Cyborg

1/8/12 10:56 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

There has been widespread fan dissatisfaction with referee Kim Winslow performance in several recent bouts. Some have attributed the jeers to sexist unease with the third man in the cage being a woman, and in fact many of the criticisms voiced have a distinct and unfortunate mysoginistic bent.

However, it is far less usual for complaints to come from with the cage, and far less usual still for the winning fighter to voice concern, as did Mo Lawal after his ref stoppage victory over Lorenz Larkin last night. Mo feels was the stoppage was so late it is time Winslow learns what a late stoppage feels like.

"I'm going to put it like this: The commission, they need to do something with [Winslow]," Lawal said to MMAJunkie. "Let her take a fight or something and give her a bad ref."

"She said backstage, 'If I hear 'Ow' or 'Ouch' or 'Ooh,' I'm going to stop the fight,'" Lawal explained. "Man, this dude was cussing. I hit him, and he's like, 'Oh, [expletive].' I was like, 'Uh, ref?'

"I looked at her, so I kept on hitting him. I was like, 'Man, she needs to stop this thing.' I heard people in the crowd yelling, 'Stop it!' Then she jumps in all late."

Lawal said Winslow explained post-fight that her call was based on a desire to give Larkin every possible chance to recover and that "If it takes for him to be asleep, that's what it is."

"She's never taken a punch before, so it's easy for her to say that," Lawal said.

"Let [Winslow] fight 'Cyborg,' and let's do a late stoppage with her. I watched her almost get Jan Finney killed by 'Cyborg.' I think maybe the tables need to be turned. Put me in there as a ref, and I'll just do a terrible job like her."

Read entire article...

1/8/12 11:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to see fighters getting more and more personal with their distaste for bad reffing - it needs to have faces, not just invisible boogie men we can malign.

The Kim Winslows of the world need to be singled out for doing shitty jobs, and each and individually need to be held accountable.

Not that I expect it to happen, athletic commissions are the definition of bureaucracy.
1/8/12 11:02 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/08/12 11:05 AM
TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Edit. She's really bad.
1/8/12 11:06 AM
Donald Rice Cerrone
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wrost ref in teh biz IMO
1/8/12 11:10 AM
Anarkis
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing wrong with the stoppage. Typical sexist bullshit.
1/8/12 11:10 AM
CesarGracieJewJitsu

id rather fight kimbo in the backyard bareknuckle with the 30 second knock down rule or whatever they have

plus :   Time-out watch out for that metal thing then to have

Kim Winslow referee my fight of any kind kickboxing, boxing, bare knuckle boxing, or mma
1/8/12 11:14 AM
slugshot331
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/08/12 11:13 AM
Not a fan of King Mo, but he always tells it like it is.
1/8/12 11:27 AM
InYourMomaCloset

The stoppage was bang on.

Any earlier and there would have been complaints to.

That guy was still in it, and afterwards he came around just fine with no apparent damage, apart from a slightly shook up brain; but I guess that's to be expected.

And lol @  "Mo" finding some excuse for being butt hurt after an excellent win over a dangerous guy.

Misogyny is on the money!
He's clearly the type that thinks women should "know their place".

This is the 21st century "Mo".
Get with the times, son.
1/8/12 11:28 AM
Donald Rice Cerrone

stfu with calling this sexist you white knight muppets.

She's terrible at her job.

Watch Finney Vs Santos. That was the most poorley ref' fight ive ever seen.

But maybe your dreams will come true and she'll read your post and blow you for defending her honor.
1/8/12 11:33 AM
EnderTL
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm all about not being sexist.. But Winslow makes bad calls regularly. Didn't see the fights last night so I won't comment on that, but just watch every fight she's ever reffed and tell me she's a good ref.

There are worse, though. Phone Post
1/8/12 11:36 AM
Filo_Beto

You fking wankers can't have it both ways. How many times have we seen guys come back from what appears to be a knockout. Get over it already. This is a tough decision because he was not knocked out and it appears his hands were up in the air putting up some type of defense. Bottom line is that it's a tough call.

And king mo needs to just chill f out and just fight. Because at the post fight interview he was " duh.. I would not of wanted to have her stop the fight on me me until I was knocked out". He's a dumb hypocrite.
1/8/12 11:39 AM
kumma

Showtime Kick - Herb Dean had a bad stoppage too. Where's Mohamed's outrage on that?

In the African American community, John Lennon is right. Women are the Ninjas of the world.
Idiot. She was the ref in his bout. He thinks she did a bad job in his fight and he cites examples of when she has messed up before. Why would he bring up other refs when that's not part of the interview? And how is what he said race or gender based? Phone Post
1/8/12 11:39 AM
crazydave
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/8/12 11:40 AM
Sephiroth

give me a break anyone who thought that she stopped it at the right time is a complete idiot. Winslow gave the excuse that she likes to let fighters fight which would of been fine if she hadn't stopped a fight earlier that night in which a guy took 8 shots to the back of the head and was clearly not out. Yet 5 fights later Larkin is getting gang raped for a straight minute and she then stops it? Dude was knocked out twice.

Seriously a ref like her is going to get someone killed. Last night was by far the worst reffing I've seen in a major mma show. From Winslow fucking up two fights, to the Woodley fight where he literally did nothing for the entire fight to the main event where Jardine was absolutely mauled and clearly out long before Herb Dean stopped it.

Mma needs better refs before someone gets seriously hurt.
1/8/12 11:42 AM
TexasBadAss
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Finney fight actually turned my stomach. I really thought I was watching somebody about to die while Winslow let it go on and on with Finney doing nothing to protect herself.

Nothing sexist about saying that a referee cannot do her job. It's sexist to defend her because she is a woman.
1/8/12 11:43 AM
Filo_Beto

Sephiroth -  give me a break anyone who thought that she stopped it at the right time is a complete idiot. Winslow gave the excuse that she likes to let fighters fight which would of been fine if she hadn't stopped a fight earlier that night in which a guy took 8 shots to the back of the head and was clearly not out. Yet 5 fights later Larkin is getting gang raped for a straight minute and she then stops it? Dude was knocked out twice.

Seriously a ref like her is going to get someone killed. Last night was by far the worst reffing I've seen in a major mma show. From Winslow fucking up two fights, to the Woodley fight where he literally did nothing for the entire fight to the main event where Jardine was absolutely mauled and clearly out long before Herb Dean stopped it.

But you're probably the same fker that will cry when the fight gets stopped too soon. Where was this guy knocked out twice??
1/8/12 11:50 AM
CokeBoyz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was an alright stoppage if the man is conscious and taking shots, he can tap out. He didn't want to go out that way, so this is what happened.

Jardine stoppage was fine, he looked like he was coming back and got mashed on some more then it was stopped.
1/8/12 11:50 AM
In Limbo
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bad stoppage or not, do you guys really think it's appropriate for a skinny woman to be reffing fights at these heavier weight classes?

just for the pure physical aspect of it....i've seen winslow ref MW, LHW and HW and i was just shocked.....
1/8/12 11:52 AM
sevenwithcheese

Edited: 01/08/12 11:53 AM
The next white knight who brings up sex should be banned. NO ONE is saying she sucks at her job because she's a woman. She sucks at her job because it's very clear that she does not understand the sport, and has no idea what it feels like to be punched in the face.

EVERY ref should be required to have at least one pro fight.

1/8/12 12:06 PM
GeoDim

She also unnecessarily stood up the fight. Phone Post
1/8/12 12:09 PM
Sephiroth

Filo_Beto - 
Sephiroth -  give me a break anyone who thought that she stopped it at the right time is a complete idiot. Winslow gave the excuse that she likes to let fighters fight which would of been fine if she hadn't stopped a fight earlier that night in which a guy took 8 shots to the back of the head and was clearly not out. Yet 5 fights later Larkin is getting gang raped for a straight minute and she then stops it? Dude was knocked out twice.

But you're probably the same fker that will cry when the fight gets stopped too soon. Where was this guy knocked out twice??

watch the fight not a 5 second gif dumb ass. Your making it sound like you can't correctly call a fight. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain when 95% of fights should be stopped. Winslow on the same night made two absolutely shit calls on when to stop 2 seperate fights.

That fight clearly should of been stopped. Mo saw it, the commentators saw it and everyone who watched it live(and not on a grainy gif) saw it. Btw Larkin was already out before that gif even started. So wtf at the he was never ko'd shit. He was kod got woke back up with punches and damn near got kod again.

1/8/12 12:10 PM
SleepBomb

if you look at this from the fighter's point of view, and mo said this himself in the cage last night, that the fighter would not want it stopped early if it was them getting the beating. none of them. you have to give them every chance.

I think it should not be stopped unless you are out cold, tapped, or have an obvious bone break.

turtling up like lesnar is fine. it is intelligently defending yourself to have your forearms over your face blocking punches.

it is not intelligently defending yourself if you are laid spread eagle while somoene is punching your ear off.

mma fans need to stop being such a bunch of pussies.
1/8/12 12:12 PM
Sephiroth

^ you did not watch the fight. It's pretty fucking obvious. That was not the entire clip. Larkin was out with his arms up like that for a good 15 seconds just eating punches. It was an awful stoppage and idiots who have watched just that gif and think they know what they are talking about should eat a dick.
1/8/12 12:14 PM
Rockstars
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't matter If it was a man or woman in there, bad ref is a bad ref. Phone Post
1/8/12 12:16 PM
deadlyonetwo3
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why does everyone have to torn EVERYTHING into racist, sexist BLAH BLAH BLAH she's a fucking SHIT ref she made multiple mistakes last night and I don't give a shit that she's a woman. She needs a lot of training and it's fucking dangerous to have that woman overseeing fights right now. She was EXTREMELY late on that stoppage. The guy was limp and defenseless for about 6 extra vicious punches Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.