UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rosi Sexton: 'Hormonally male' female fighters bad

1/8/12 12:40 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Dr. Rosi Sexton is a Cambridge graduate with a First-class maths degree (US equivalent is Magna Cum Laude from Harvard), a PhD from Cambridge University in Theoretical Computer Science (US equivalent: Smarter than that hair guy in Back to the Future), works as an Osteopath, and is a top 10 P4P women's MMA fighter.  In short, Rosi is a rocket surgeon.

In a guest editorial for Bloody Elbow, Dr. Sexton talks about steroids and women's MMA.

To people within MMA, it usually comes as no surprise when a fighter tests positive for steroids. It's generally accepted that there are a lot of fighters out there who use banned performance enhancing drugs (estimates range from "a significant minority" to "almost all"), but most of the time they get past the limited testing that is put in place either by timing their steroid use carefully, using masking agents or both. It's only when someone makes a mistake that they get caught.

Because of this, performance enhancing drugs are often seen as a non-issue. "They're all taking it anyway, so what's the problem?".

The problem is that this is a combat sport. In most sports, the consequences of failure might be measured in pride, status or money. In MMA, you add physical damage and injury. In female MMA, for example, you can find yourself watching a fighter who is essentially (in hormonal terms) male, beat up a woman. It often makes for uncomfortable viewing. It's bad for the sport, and most of all it's bad for the fighters. It sends the message that following the rules is penalized by getting your face smashed in.

We have a choice to make. We can decide that we want steroids out of the sport. In that case, athletic commissions, governing bodies, promotions alike need to work together to implement gold standard drug policies. The World Anti-Doping Agency work with sporting organizations and produce model rules and protocols for testing. As a minimum, off season random testing of fighters is essential. It might never be possible to get rid of performance enhancing drugs entirely, but it's possible to tighten the net and change the balance between risk and reward in favour of the clean athlete. Some of the athletic commissions are starting to move towards stricter testing, but much more still needs to be done.

Read entire article...

Response from the female MMA community was generally even handed, via twitter.

MarloesCoenen
Get a lot of tweets about Christiana. Don't want to 'kick an opponent when she's down'. I still respect her & we will meet again at Invicta!

Shayna Baszler
Im not defending cyborg or not, but its not always accurate how the media blows things up or paints things

Miesha Tate
Well I am disappointed to find out she was using I gave her the benefit of the doubt too & really admired her

Julia Budd
That's bullshit she woulda killed yamanaka without

Rosi Sexton
Look "just working hard in the gym" won't give a woman muscles like that any more than eating worms and flapping your arms will make you fly

Cris Cyborg

Ronda Rousey
I'm about to fall off the grid for a few days, my last words: I told you so!!!

1/8/12 1:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
McBottery
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We need an after picture next to that before picture imo.
1/8/12 1:07 PM
3rdLion
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article by Rosi.
1/8/12 1:08 PM
nowaydo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/8/12 1:10 PM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Rosi!
1/8/12 1:12 PM
rookie29

Holy shit, she looks like a girl in that photo. Phone Post
1/8/12 1:13 PM
MisterFixit

Good read.

There is an ethical gulf between taking PED's and competing in a sport like cycling and taking PED's and competing in MMA.

1/8/12 1:17 PM
DMCN
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at the intro. Who cares what study she did and that she has a phd when talking about steroids if the area in which she graduated has NOTHING to do with steroids?! Phone Post
1/8/12 1:17 PM
idsmashit

1st offence should mean they get banned for life. if 8 out of the top 10 were to get banned then they will be replaced with another natural 8 athletes. Some of these roid machines leave a trail of brutal beatings from previous fights and then we all question them and thats starting to piss me off. ie Marquardt v Maia and Cyborg v Jan Finney
1/8/12 1:23 PM
Kirik
2051 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
DMCN -  LOL at the intro. Who cares what study she did and that she has a phd when talking about steroids if the area in which she graduated has NOTHING to do with steroids?! Phone Post

I am sensing some jealousy that no one is mentioning your doctorate from Oxford :-)
1/8/12 1:26 PM
DMCN
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -
DMCN -  LOL at the intro. Who cares what study she did and that she has a phd when talking about steroids if the area in which she graduated has NOTHING to do with steroids?! Phone Post

I am sensing some jealousy that no one is mentioning your doctorate from Oxford :-)
Its not from oxford ;). And its not jealousy, I just do not see what the info adds to the value of her opinion. The fact that she is a fighter, works in the field, writes for fighters only means a lot more in my opinion than f.i. being a graduate in math. Thats all.. Phone Post
1/8/12 1:35 PM
pharochuck
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DMCN -  Its not from oxford ;). And its not jealousy, I just do not see what the info adds to the value of her opinion. The fact that she is a fighter, works in the field, writes for fighters only means a lot more in my opinion than f.i. being a graduate in math. Thats all.. Phone Post

you're missing a simple point, if the average person familiar with the sport or a serious fan can have an opinion on things , then an actual fighter who also happens to be in the top 1% for demonstrated intelligence on earth could possibly have a better opinion. in short people like that are rarely 'talking out of their ass'
1/8/12 1:45 PM
3rdLion
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - I didn't even realize that photo was Cyborg until somebody mentioned it. It's so obvious...

Back when she had a decent rack and not a chest to rival Ronnie Coleman.
1/8/12 1:48 PM
DeanoBirko

Trained bjj with rosi in liverpool She is a machine and a great girl to boot. Phone Post
1/8/12 1:49 PM
InYourMomaCloset

Sour Grapes.

Cyborg will be back, and even without PED's (assuming she was taking them initially), she'll still whoop the majority of the female division...

..INCLUDING YO' ASS, ROSI.

1/8/12 1:59 PM
FOX Force Five
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InYourMomaCloset -  Sour Grapes.

Cyborg will be back, and even without PED's (assuming she was taking them initially), she'll still whoop the majority of the female division...

..INCLUDING YO' ASS, ROSI.

Rosi would have to add 20 pounds to fight Cyborg......

.... I can't imagine how she'd manage that. ;)
1/8/12 2:03 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember someone pointing out that her fight with Jan Finney looked like a man beating his wife. And yeah, nobody wants to see that. I know there are many arguments about steroids in men's MMA and I have for years tried to figure out the long term effects of anabolic steriord and have had very little luck. With the women it's more clear that they cause bad side effects--the women end up looking like men. And noboady wants to watch two mannish women fighting either. Women's MMA is only going to be a draw if the competitors are athletic bona fide women. You take that away and the sport is done.

Women fighters shouldn't have to think "To beat the man you have to be a man" to paraphrase The Nature Boy.
1/8/12 2:06 PM
SleepBomb

dave321 - The article says she works as an osteopath, she is a physician.

but she is not a physician in steroids so she knows shit

did that make me sound like a retard? coz that is what i was going for.
1/8/12 2:07 PM
Unseen
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't know what an Osteopath is do you?  Nah you don't:)
1/8/12 2:18 PM
OldManMinerva

stonepony - I didn't even realize that photo was Cyborg until somebody mentioned it. It's so obvious...

what picture?
1/8/12 2:22 PM
Truemanc3
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Listern having known Rosi and trained alongside her for a few years.... I will say something.... I have never used the term genius to describe anyone.... but in her case it is absolutely true.

A mind like she has comes along very seldomly.

She also has a robotic like work ethic..... those two combined has made her a very unique individual.
1/8/12 2:26 PM
Diesel67

I usually don't mention my Ph.D. in biology when it isn't relevant, e.g. when I'm posting or writing about Israeli politics :).

I admired Cyborg a heckuva lot (click here and here).  Hearing that she cheated makes me sad and angry, as I was when I heard that Marion Jones cheated, but it also confirms what I wrote in the above-referenced material, i.e. that if you dope eventually you will be caught, and when you are that's the end of your career.  It will always be an arms race, but we can and should maximize the risk and minimize the reward of cheating.  But it has to come from the athletes themselves; if I'm an honest, disciplined, hard-training athlete I don't want to be made an also-ran by a cheater or cheaters.  Having the push come from the gummint, which already messed up our sport with its prissy rules, will turn it into a game, with athletes striving to beat the system, not the competition.
1/8/12 2:29 PM
DMCN

Unseen -

You don't know what an Osteopath is do you?  Nah you don't:)
I clearly question the relevance of her studies in that post (math and theoretical computer science). In another post I even elaborate further that these points do not add anything to the value of her opinion, BUT the fact that she works in the field, is a pro fighter and an mma journalist IS.

You don't really know what reading is huh?? Phone Post
1/8/12 2:36 PM
Yossarian's Ball Buffer
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's with the photoshopped pic of Cyborg?

Nice rack on whoever's body that is.. Phone Post
1/8/12 2:47 PM
Truemanc3
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rosie is a female fighter too...so steroids in MMA may concern her!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.