UnderGround Forums

NFLGround >> attn: Pretjah re: Ike Taylor

1/9/12 9:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thePetester
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretjah -
thePetester - Ike will cost us a game in the playoffs. He won't necessarily 'lose' the game, but when he has a chance to 'win' the game he doesn't do it. That, I guess, is my biggest problem with him. I can't label him elite when he rarely comes up with the play needed most in high pressure situations.

lets hope this doesn't come true!!!!!!

uggghhh

I said this in another thread, but I felt it needed a thread of it's own.

I can't believe it, but even I over-estimated Ike' ability to deliver, in any manner, in high pressure situations whatsoever. The guys is a chump and a choker of the highest degree. Not only does he get burned throughout the game, on the final play of the game he:

1) Gets burned badly on the snap
2) Allows his man to get INSIDE of him
3) Gets stiff armed like a little bitch
4) Gets outrun the whole way down the field

Like I said at the beginning of the year, we should have let him go and picked up JJoseph. He blows every big game opportunity he has.
1/9/12 7:01 PM
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't make Taylor the sole focus of your anger here. On that play he was left on ialand. Why were both safeties playing 5 yards off the line? Mundy charged the line on the snap? Who sends a safety at the line without the other safety at least playing cover 1? Obviously they were hoping to overload and get pressure, but they had gotten no pressure all day. So why send Mundy on the charge and not have Polamalu at least playing cover 1?

Tebow had burnt them badly all game on big passing plays, and they open up OT gifting them 75 yards of open field. Sure Taylor got burnt, but Lebeau and Tomlin dared Tebow to beat them through the air, and when he did, they never adjusted.
1/10/12 9:30 AM
thePetester

Waylay - Don't make Taylor the sole focus of your anger here. On that play he was left on ialand. Why were both safeties playing 5 yards off the line? Mundy charged the line on the snap? Who sends a safety at the line without the other safety at least playing cover 1? Obviously they were hoping to overload and get pressure, but they had gotten no pressure all day. So why send Mundy on the charge and not have Polamalu at least playing cover 1?

Tebow had burnt them badly all game on big passing plays, and they open up OT gifting them 75 yards of open field. Sure Taylor got burnt, but Lebeau and Tomlin dared Tebow to beat them through the air, and when he did, they never adjusted.

If you are a top-2 corner in the league, as Pretjah has stated all year, you don't get burned ALL GAME LONG. All he had to do was make 1 play. Whether it was earlier in the game or at that moment. He made exactly 0 big plays, which has been my criticism of him all along. He is only an above average CB. Should be the #2 CB on the team, not the 'shutdown corner' because he does not shut anyone down. When you need him to make a play, he disappears.

On that final play, he got beat at least three times. Off the line, then he got turned (you can combine those two if you like), then he got shoved away like a little b!tch, then he got outrun.

200 yards? Are you kidding me?
1/10/12 3:24 PM
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry if I came off defending Taylor. He definitely did not play up to any reasonable level of NFL play. But quite a few times this season I have seen people on the OG rip heavily on players and give the coaching a free pass. Taylor should be ripped for sure, but that defensive call on that TD was one of the worst I have seen all year. The Donkeys had 4 passes for 40+ yards in the game already. They had dared Tebow to beat them with the pass and he was doing just that. How they were in cover 0 on that play is mind boggling.
1/10/12 3:40 PM
thePetester

No problem. I am not mad at you or anyone really. I like debating this with Pretjah because he does know football and we both are Steelers fans so there is not any 'Steelers suck', 'refs cheat for steelers', etc.

I understand and agree with your all your points, I just think Ike gets way too much credit for what he actually produces.
1/10/12 4:02 PM
jaywill
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

all they had to do was play cover 1 and send 4 guys at him all game. Didnt KC already create the blueprint?  waaaay to aggressive defensive play calling. zero respect for the arm, even Tebow makes those throws against no secondary.
1/10/12 5:11 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many times did Denver run on first down out of that formation?
1/11/12 12:26 PM
supersaiyan

Waylay - Sorry if I came off defending Taylor. He definitely did not play up to any reasonable level of NFL play. But quite a few times this season I have seen people on the OG rip heavily on players and give the coaching a free pass. Taylor should be ripped for sure, but that defensive call on that TD was one of the worst I have seen all year. The Donkeys had 4 passes for 40+ yards in the game already. They had dared Tebow to beat them with the pass and he was doing just that. How they were in cover 0 on that play is mind boggling.

LMFAO @ donkeys lol

but yea...steelers made that game too damn hard to win for some reason .Broncos shoulda got wrecked!
1/12/12 4:00 PM
Pretjah
1086 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not good natured.

B-)

taylor got burned in this game multiple times.  tough game for him that's for sure.

i still take him over 99% of the CB's i the league though.
1/13/12 7:10 PM
Doomsday

www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/cornerbacks-a-glance-at-the-2011-numbers/

PFF rates him pretty highly. Interesting analysis from those who watch him, compared to the numbers.
5/14/12 3:28 PM
Pretjah
1086 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i still love ike taylor
5/15/12 12:51 PM
thePetester

you would.
5/22/12 7:50 PM
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Waylay - Don't make Taylor the sole focus of your anger here. On that play he was left on ialand. Why were both safeties playing 5 yards off the line? Mundy charged the line on the snap? Who sends a safety at the line without the other safety at least playing cover 1? Obviously they were hoping to overload and get pressure, but they had gotten no pressure all day. So why send Mundy on the charge and not have Polamalu at least playing cover 1?

I have watched that game a couple times and I will say that it is hard to tell who they had playing deep as the pass that Tebow hit DT on was a pretty avergae yard pass, it was the run after the catch that made the play. What I found to be crazy is why they were not in a cover 3 or something to force Denver to have to put a full drive together. If I am not mistaken Tebow hit DT on a slant and DT just beat everyone across the middle and down the sideline. I was as shocked as anyone that Denver won that game. I am glad that this year we will be back to being able to score on a regular basis, and 1st downs will not be things that are hoped for, but expected. I am SO excited for this season to begin.
8/8/13 9:09 AM
Pretjah

just an update on Ike's probowl season

Taylor allowed only 30 receptions last year before having his streak of 135 consecutive games snapped by a broken ankle; eight of those came against Tennessee. After the Titans breakdown, Taylor allowed only six receptions over his final seven games.

When Taylor gave up 204 yards to the Broncos, including the game-clinching 80-yarder to Demaryius Thomas in overtime, he had allowed an unheard of 28 yards per game during the regular season.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.