UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Coker questions the validity of Cyborg's record

1/9/12 4:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker spent years promoting Women's MMA, bringing to stardom Gina Carano, and with her break form the sport, showcasing Cris Cyborg as the sport's leading female. With her positive test for PEDs, Cyborg's entire run is now suspect, and with it, harm has been done to women's MMA generally.

"The thing that's really sad about the 'Cyborg' thing," said Coker. "It makes you really wonder the validation of all those other fights. So to me I think you will see some faces back in Sgrikeforce with her out.

"Of course you're concerned for the fighter, you're concerned for the opponent, you're concerned for the league, and you're concerned for the television partner. But at the end of the day, every athlete has to be accountable for their actions. She's no different ... If you're going to cheat you shouldn't be fighting prefessionally against other professional athletes that aren't cheating.

"It's illegal."

1/9/12 4:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/09/12 4:58 PM
Say hello to my little friend!
They sure want to destroy this woman's career. I guess they don't think she is marketable or something. Whatever the case may be, it is painfully obvious that the powers that be in Zuffa, want the most dominant female fighter in the history of the sport gone. :(

Maybe she isn't pretty enough for them? Or maybe all the other girls are afraid to fight her and it's a pain in the ass finding opponents?
1/9/12 4:52 PM
Chris27

So basically he is praying Gina comes back to regain her title and be the face of SF female div.

1/9/12 4:53 PM
Authority Figure

1. Its FUCKING illegal.
2. I need to hear this from the guy in charge.
3. I thought we were going to wait until the hearing to pass judgment?
1/9/12 4:53 PM
tsm29
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah? she could have destroyed others.

her career should be in serious question.
1/9/12 5:00 PM
wreckker
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She is a lying cheater....

What she did is horrible because peds Can give a woman a dangerous advantage over other women.

Whats up with that deep voice and huge jaw cyborg?

Dietary aid voice deepener? Phone Post
1/9/12 5:07 PM
JustAnotherMMAFan
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By no means I am apologizing for Cyborg. Cheating is cheating. Enhancement drugs are bad and, now, she has to live with the desbelief of others (myself included). But people are overreacting and the double standard is baffling me.

See, Chael Sonnen is caught on 'roids. One year later, he comes back as the one contender that everyone legitimately believes that could challenge Silva and take the belt.

Cyborg is caught on 'roids. She is a lying cheater and all her previous victories are a farce.

What makes one believe all previous Chael Sonnen victories weren't due to steroids as well? The guy cheated, lost, and one fight later he is a title contender, because that's the fight everyone wants to see.

I just don't get it.

Cyborg should be treated like any other fighter who was caught on steroids. No more, no less.
1/9/12 5:09 PM
JustAnotherMMAFan
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finally, I should add that Cyborg is NOT the only fighter to have manly traits. She might have more manly traits than others, but she is not the only one.
1/9/12 5:17 PM
Combat Vette
353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JustAnotherMMAFan - By no means I am apologizing for Cyborg. Cheating is cheating. Enhancement drugs are bad and, now, she has to live with the desbelief of others (myself included). But people are overreacting and the double standard is baffling me.

See, Chael Sonnen is caught on 'roids. One year later, he comes back as the one contender that everyone legitimately believes that could challenge Silva and take the belt.

Cyborg is caught on 'roids. She is a lying cheater and all her previous victories are a farce.

What makes one believe all previous Chael Sonnen victories weren't due to steroids as well? The guy cheated, lost, and one fight later he is a title contender, because that's the fight everyone wants to see.

I just don't get it.

Cyborg should be treated like any other fighter who was caught on steroids. No more, no less.
Oh you get it.  People like Dana White don't take women's MMA seriously, so it IS a double standard.  If they had more respect for women's MMA, this wouldn't be as big of a deal as it is for Cyborg.  As it is... she is royally screwed.
1/9/12 5:26 PM
58miles

As someone who was a big fan of Cyborg she got caught cheating and deserves to be screwed. With all of the rumors surrounding her before it was just astonishingly stupid and selfish for her to be using them. Is there a double standard regarding her being caught compared to others? Of course there is but if she had not been using PED's we wouldn't be having this conversation about double standards.
1/9/12 5:32 PM
Farewell BJ
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMaster - They sure want to destroy this woman's career. I guess they don't think she is marketable or something. Whatever the case may be, it is painfully obvious that the powers that be in Zuffa, want the most dominant female fighter in the history of the sport gone. :(

Maybe she isn't pretty enough for them? Or maybe all the other girls are afraid to fight her and it's a pain in the ass finding opponents?
She juices and it's zuffas fault? Phone Post
1/9/12 5:35 PM
Farewell BJ
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Combat Vette -
JustAnotherMMAFan - By no means I am apologizing for Cyborg. Cheating is cheating. Enhancement drugs are bad and, now, she has to live with the desbelief of others (myself included). But people are overreacting and the double standard is baffling me.

I just don't get it.

Oh you get it.  People like Dana White don't take women's MMA seriously, so it IS a double standard.  If they had more respect for women's MMA, this wouldn't be as big of a deal as it is for Cyborg.  As it is... she is royally screwed.
How Dana and chael are brought into this is funny. Coker said it. Not Dana. Chael served his 1yr suspension. He has to beat stann and now munoz. Who knows who else before he fights for the title. Phone Post
1/9/12 5:39 PM
Standup29

EvilMaster - They sure want to destroy this woman's career. I guess they don't think she is marketable or something. Whatever the case may be, it is painfully obvious that the powers that be in Zuffa, want the most dominant female fighter in the history of the sport gone. :(

Or maybe she is the first high profile womans fighter to be caught taking PED's. WMMA is still trying to grow and gain a broader acceptance this isa huge blow. When you get billed as this wrecking machine and are considered the most dominant womans fighter in the world, being busted for steroids is a big deal. Not to mention the lame excuse she gave in her statment. Other fighters have been popped, the ones that denied it at least fought it, she has basically said she was drugged and she didn't know it. 

She is being made an example of and EVERYONE is at the least wondering how many fights she has been using some form of banned substance. She was backed and supported by Coker and now Zuffa. For whatever reason, women taking steroids is much more frowned upon than men. When you are the face of your respected sport and get caught cheating, you are going to get it worse than those who are lesser known. The only thing looks have to do with this one is she LOOKS like a woman who abuses steroids. She doesn't look like a woman who just started or accidently was given steroids. 

What would you have Coker and Zuffa do in this case?
1/9/12 5:40 PM
EvilMaster

It's not about who does it. Because they all use some form of performance enhancement, they have to. If they didn't, they wouldn't be competitive at the top levels. That's just a fact. (Ok, for the white knights, maybe the odd guy here and there is all natural. But they are rare.)

What it's about is who doesn't cycle off properly and gets pinched by the commission. That's it.
1/9/12 5:44 PM
EvilMaster

Standup29 - What would you have Coker and Zuffa do in this case?

The same thing they would do for any male fighter. Strip the title and let her ride out her suspension. Then put her back in the mix.

But this whole attack on her, is different. It's like they want her gone for good. It's like they are happy that she is out of the way and expect more female fighters to come back now that they have nothing to fear with Cyborg out of the way.

Doesn't feel right to me.
1/9/12 5:45 PM
brocclesnar
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coker only said that to defend Gina's loss to her.
1/9/12 5:51 PM
MartialArtsMixed
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

she looks like that for a reason guys..
1/9/12 5:51 PM
Standup29

I just don't get it.

Chael was not caught using "roids",he was busted for not following protocol with his TRT. This is not the same thing. 

This is also new, when her suspension is up she can come back. For all you know, she will come back to a title fight.

And there will always be a double standard when it comes to men and women with regards to steroids and for obvious reasons. She was the hormone equivelent of a man fighting women. She was also a champion, that also makes this a lot worse for her. 

1/9/12 5:55 PM
Standup29

EvilMaster - 
Standup29 - What would you have Coker and Zuffa do in this case?

The same thing they would do for any male fighter. Strip the title and let her ride out her suspension. Then put her back in the mix.

But this whole attack on her, is different. It's like they want her gone for good. It's like they are happy that she is out of the way and expect more female fighters to come back now that they have nothing to fear with Cyborg out of the way.

Doesn't feel right to me.

What attack have they made against her? I may have missed something. All I have seen is the same treatment that most fighters have gotten when popped for steroids. People call them cheats, and depending on what they say after being popped may go after them more. This of course as a reference to fans. I haven't seen anything from Coker or Zuffa that is not on par with how other suspensions are handled. But again, I may have missed something. 
1/9/12 5:56 PM
JoeHurley
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buying and possessing steroids is illegal.  Using them and having them in your system is not.  Nobody has ever been arrested for a positive test. 

The problem for her is that this is a PR nightmare because a woman looking like her and being a fighter is worse to people than a man popping positive.  Similar to a male teacher having sex with an underage female student is seen as worse than a female teacher having sex with an underage boy. That might not be fair for her, but it's all about public perception.
1/9/12 5:57 PM
Standup29

willienugget - 

I just don't get it.

Are you talking about fans or the people running the show? To make any comparison, we probably need to wait a year and see what happens with Cyborg. I don't see her being treated any differently.

She loses the title, suspension and afterward I'm pretty sure she'll come in as the top contender ala Chael.

Agreed.
1/9/12 6:23 PM
Standup29

ChokeEmOut -  What an asshole, throwing her under the bus like that. Fuck you dipshit Coker. You're a goddamn fool acting like you don't fucking know 99% of athletes utilize AAS. Phone Post

Easy man, no reason to act like that. Take a deep breath, count to ten and think about what has happened. His champion just got busted for cheating all while people naturally assumed she was one something. It's not just that she dominated the other girls but she doesn't look like any of the girls fighting that mainstream media has seen. Not to mention she has progressivly become more manly and less femine over the past couple years. I grasp training but I mean she screams all of the characteristics of a woman who abuses steroids. Imagine what she would look like if she didn't cut to 145, she would be even more massive. Coker is disapointed and sounded more like a parent talking about his child than a promoter talking about his fighter. He truly seemed bummed in her getting caught cheating. Can you blame him?
1/9/12 7:07 PM
Combat Vette
353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Farewell BJ -
Combat Vette -

I just don't get it.

How Dana and chael are brought into this is funny. Coker said it. Not Dana. Chael served his 1yr suspension. He has to beat stann and now munoz. Who knows who else before he fights for the title. Phone Post
Dana is gonna strip her of the title. He has said on how many occasions that he thinks women's MMA is a joke? And are you denying that a lot of important people in MMA don't take women's MMA as seriously as mens? Phone Post
1/9/12 7:39 PM
mongo54
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMaster - They sure want to destroy this woman's career. I guess they don't think she is marketable or something. Whatever the case may be, it is painfully obvious that the powers that be in Zuffa, want the most dominant female fighter in the history of the sport gone. :(

Perhaps they don't want to see some roided out dude beating up women, womens mma is at a vital time for it's survival, this couldn't have happened at a worse time.
1/9/12 8:09 PM
tjmitchiscool
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The beatings she was handing out were brutal, all the while playing the "poor me" role...disgusting Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.