UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Karate???

1/9/12 6:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
xander
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/09/12 6:27 PM

I plan on attending a Karate class on Wed. The Dojo lists Shotokan Karate Do as the major style and Goju Ryu Karate Do as the minor style. What exactly does major and minor style mean? I would guess the primary instruction would come from a Shotokan base with supplementary techniques coming from Goju Ryu Karate Do. Can anybody with previous experience in either system give me some insight in what to expect?
1/9/12 7:30 PM
cdueck
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They likely have someone that teaches Goju Ryu once a week in their dojo.
1/9/12 11:57 PM
xander
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah,thanks. I visited the dojo Friday and spoke a little bit with the instructor but forgot to ask this question. I'm really looking forward to taking classes if the dojo is a good fit for me. I've looked for a Kyokushin dojo nearby for years but never found one. This dojo seems like it might be the closest school nearby that has the type of instruction I'm looking for in a Karate dojo.
1/28/12 11:26 PM
ikt

Shotokan will be closer to Kyokushin that Goju ru. Goju Ru is a more circular style, where Shotokan is still very hard, linear karate.
1/30/12 7:48 PM
Fast Pitch
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ikt - Shotokan will be closer to Kyokushin that Goju ru. Goju Ru is a more circular style, where Shotokan is still very hard, linear karate.

Actually, Kyokushin is basically Goju Ryu with a few Shotokan katas thrown in. In fact, Mas Oyama's style of karate was listed as Goju Ryu before he came up with the title Kyokushin.
1/31/12 1:13 AM
xander

I've read as much as I can about Karate over the past month and learned that Oyama trained in both Shotokan and Goju Ryu. Kyokushin in turn was the base for Karate practitioners who went on to establish Ashihara,Enshin,and Seidokaikan Karate.
1/31/12 6:09 PM
Fast Pitch
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xander - I've read as much as I can about Karate over the past month and learned that Oyama trained in both Shotokan and Goju Ryu. Kyokushin in turn was the base for Karate practitioners who went on to establish Ashihara,Enshin,and Seidokaikan Karate.

Yes, Oyama did train in both Goju and Shotokan, but he considered Goju to be the superior style. Then he started calling what he was teaching (Goju Ryu, with a few Shotokan katas mixed in) Kyokushin.
1/31/12 6:10 PM
Fast Pitch

What really set Oyama's style apart from the others though, regardless of what katas and basics he taught, was the full-contact, no pad sparring they did.
2/1/12 2:58 PM
xander

^^^ Yeah. That's what I read. His training methods were pretty intense. I'm really happy at the dojo I'm at and enjoy learning more about Karate.
2/14/12 2:00 PM
e. kaye

The only problem with Kyokushin training is the no punching to the head.   The art makes for tough Karateka, but they are easy to punch in the head in my experience.

2/14/12 3:31 PM
cdueck

Any truly traditional japanese dojo will be as hard core as any Kyokushin dojo and will also spill as much blood on the floor every night. The difference is Kyokushin has stayed hard and most of the other styles have gone soft for the sake of profit. A friend of the my family taught Isshin ryu and they trained as hard as any Kyokushin dojo I've ever been in. When it comes right down to quality of the training it is all up to the instructor.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.