UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> Is Rubio actually good?

1/13/12 8:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/13/12 8:42 PM
Jason Kidd? Chauncey Billups? Rajon Rondo?

It seems you have a personal bias against playmaker guards but that doesn't mean they aren't effective or are overrated.

Magic was a big man and could play the big man positions. But he was first and foremost a floor general on all his teams.
1/14/12 12:27 AM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PG is the most overrated position in sports

but Rubio is good
1/14/12 1:09 AM
Sephiroth

Edited: 01/14/12 1:11 AM
PoundforPound - 
dangerboy12 - the truth is they never were that successful.

Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson and John Stockton and Steve Nash would all beg to differ. Just to name a few of many.

Dude that's four players across 50 years and two of them never won a ring. Pass first point guards are great but to say there aren't any now because players are too selfish is fucking stupid. You sound like you are 60 years old.

There are still pass first pgs and there are still shoot first pgs and there are still guys who do both great. Saying that a guy like Derrick Rose is just selfish that's why he doesn't pass first is idiocy. He doesn't just pass first because him being aggressive with the ball and forcing the issue with scoring is what's best for your team. It's a great thing to have your primary ball handler be a guy who can score at will.
1/14/12 9:17 AM
dangerboy12
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sephiroth and gusto know what's up.

And distributing PG's are effective, very effective in the regular season when defenses aren't going 100%. But in the playoffs when defenses are going 100%, it's easy to defend a team that relies on one guy to set up everything they do.

That's why I do like what Jason Kidd has become, a role player on his team, who can hit the open 3. That's far more effective than the PG who struggles to score, but still has the ball in his hands most of the time trying to make plays for everyone else, which is what he used to be.

The real problem is not the skill set of these players, well, some of them can't score so that sucks, but it's more the way they are used by their coaches.
1/14/12 1:26 PM
Floppy Divac
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"It's a great thing to have your primary ball handler be a guy who can score at will."

Only if they remember to involve the rest of their team to a certain extent, because if that person is too dominant the rest of the team stops moving and nothing good comes from that.
1/14/12 5:15 PM
EKPOGI
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the perfect point guard is one who is a pass first point guard but could score/takeover when he has too.

1/14/12 5:15 PM
EKPOGI
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/14/12 5:15 PM
1/14/12 5:18 PM
EKPOGI

Pacquiao vs Klitschkos - Rubio is the new Pistol Pete Maravich.

NOPE.he is already a better defender than Pistol Pete.

but Pistol Pete can drop 68 on fools(pre-3point line also).Rubio's jumper is still suspect(but improving)

Rubio is more like Jason Williams circa Miami Heat.
1/14/12 10:01 PM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sephiroth - Dude that's four players across 50 years and two of them never won a ring. Pass first point guards are great but to say there aren't any now because players are too selfish is fucking stupid. You sound like you are 60 years old.

I named some more, and could keep giving you names if you want. But it doesn't sound like you are interested in evidence that might contradict your beliefs.

If you prefer that a point guard plays like a shooting guard then you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Just don't invent things about court general PGs being ineffective.
1/15/12 4:45 PM
Ronin Burgundy
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EKPOGI - 

You say he has better D then compare him to White Chocolate?Interesting...

1/15/12 4:47 PM
Ronin Burgundy
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CP3 is what every team wants.. He is the perfect PG.. A guy that get others involved or scores when its needed.. He takes what the defense gives him, He'll drop 30+pts one game and 20 assists with 4pts the next. He commits very few turnovers and just wants to win..

For me, he is one of very few players that actually gets it and isn't worried about his career stats or accomplishments, he just wants to win.. Kyle Lowry is another player I can't keep my eyes off when he's on the floor.. I hope young kids start to look up to players like these instead of the flashy high scorers that are more worried about being mvp or scoring champ..
1/15/12 5:49 PM
EKPOGI

Ronin Burgundy - 
EKPOGI - 

You say he has better D then compare him to White Chocolate?Interesting...

then Pistol Pete.fuck it,also a better Defense then White Chocolate,it's just those 2 can't score compared to Pistol Pete.
1/15/12 9:33 PM
dangerboy12
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Paul is a selfish punk and truly does not know how to defer. He wants the entire offense to run through him, and has his entire life.

Blake Griffin should be the focal point of the Clippers, and it's clear Paul is gonna try to turn Blake into a run of the mill role playing PF, when he can be a dominating PF who demands the ball and draws double teams. Paul does not draw double teams. When teams step up the intensity, he actually puts the offense in a bind.

Derrick Rose is closest to the perfect PG right now. Or either Lebron James.
1/16/12 1:50 AM
EKPOGI

dangerboy12 - Chris Paul is a selfish punk

Derrick Rose is closest to the perfect PG right now.

Or either Lebron James.

WUT
1/16/12 12:58 PM
PTM2020
1101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rubio is amazing.
1/16/12 7:21 PM
dangerboy12

Chris Paul has been all about Chris Paul since he was in HS. Very similar to Lebron. I personally think that's fine, but if you hate Lebron for his attitude towards the game, then you hate Paul, because he is the same.

And yes, I think Rose or Lebron are the best PG's in the league right now. They can defend anyone at that position, they can draw double teams, they can get to the line, they can rebound, they can pass, they can do it all.
1/17/12 1:17 PM
Floppy Divac
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You done lost your marbles homie, respectfully.  :)
1/17/12 5:31 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bias bulls fan here. i wouldn't choose any pg over rose right now. this year he is playing more the distributor until the 4th quarter when he takes over. sure he can still improve on d and outside shooting. he is not selfish at all, it is not his fault that the rest of the team don't know how to play offense. he's not the perfect point guard right now but what he does well, he does better than anyone else at his position.
1/17/12 7:27 PM
PTM2020
1101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/18/12 1:21 AM
LOL oops
1/18/12 1:19 AM
EKPOGI

PTM2020 -  Ball is actually in Floyds court.   Arum/Pac have already laid out their terms.

^awesome :D
1/18/12 1:22 AM
PTM2020

EKPOGI - 
PTM2020 -  Ball is actually in Floyds court.   Arum/Pac have already laid out their terms.

^awesome :D

thats what happens when you have multiple tabs goin.

LOL
1/18/12 8:00 AM
BEZERKER

I'm a Bulls fan.

I have watched just as many T'Wolves games this year just to see Rubio play. I find him to be brilliant.

Last year his numbers were shitty to say the least. He's now saying he thinks the NBA style makes it EASIER for him. 'Lot's of seams to move through'

He is proving he can make shots when needed. The kid is TWENTY.

Imagine how much better he gets with another couple of years of NBA calibre shooting coaches and experience in the league.

I think he is destined to be one of the greatest pure passers in history. He won't surpass Stockton's records but shit he could be great.

I love him.....almost in a gay way.
1/21/12 1:28 AM
EKPOGI

and he is clutch as fuck too.
1/22/12 11:34 AM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wasn't sold on him before, now i am. he's fun to watch. now let see him win.
1/29/12 6:50 PM
BJJkilla
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he's going to win rookie of the year for sure. the timberwolves would have only 2-4 wins right now if he didn't come over this season.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.