UnderGround Forums

MMA Memorabilia UnderGround >> the frequently asked questions thread

1/13/12 4:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the chip guy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have a question that you think has been asked before or you don't think it worthy of it own thread, please post it here and hopefully you will be able to get a few opinions or some solid information that will help you out.

i'll start off by throwing out some common Japanese poster size info that I lifted from a movie poster forum I frequent.

I'll try to keep updating this first post with any good new info that comes up.

1/13/12 5:00 PM
the chip guy

Edited: 01/13/12 5:01 PM
 Great places to buy custom frames

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/

http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/

http://wholesaleposterframes.com/index.php

You guys might ask, "why should I pay double or triple for a custom frame when I don't really care about preservation that much" all I can say is, the right frame on the right poster makes all the difference sometimes.

NOT my posters ^^^ btw.

1/13/12 6:02 PM
gage949
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can we get a proper way to ship a poster?

With all these shipping companies not giving two shits about your goods this could be useful. Phone Post
1/13/12 8:00 PM
grizz632
361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God dammit I want those Eastwood posters...
1/13/12 8:10 PM
the chip guy

Edited: 01/13/12 8:17 PM
I send a copy of this vvv to any new ebay sellers I deal with...

I'm thrilled to have just bought a poster from you.... but I've had several posters arrive damaged recently because of poor shipping practices such as weak poster tubes, the poster being to small for the tube and the poster being rolled unevenly. 

One example of such damage VVV

If you follow all of the steps that I request, I am willing to pay an extra $10 for shipping. I've also added pictures under every step just incase there is any confusion of what to do or how to do it.

Supplies you will need, 2 2X30in. poster tubes, 2 poster tube endcaps, 1 roll of clear packing tape, 1 sharpie, 1 boxknife, 1 piece of scratch paper, 1 roll of clingwrap and 1 roll of paper towels,

Step 1, take your boxknife and cut down the entire length of your first poster tube

Step 2, stuff your other poster tube inside of your cut open one.

Step 3, Make them flush with each other. Reinforcing the poster tube can make it almost impossible for even the most incompetent postal employee to damage it. Even a small dent in a poster tube can damage a poster severely.

Step 4, roll your poster or posters EVENLY!

Step 5, take your piece of paper and wrap it around the poster and secure it with pacing tape. Make sure to fold together 1 half inch of the tape on the end so it is easy to taken off easily.

Step 6, fold and tape a piece of paper towel around each end of poster leaving at least 1 inch going over the ends of the poster.

Step 7, then push the over hanging paper towel into the poster, this will help protect the edges from any damage

Step 8, wrap the entire poster in saran wrap leaving a inch or two extra on the end and then push the extra in the poster just like you did with the paper towel.

Step 9, wad up some paper towel, put it into the poster tube and then GENTLY slide the wrapped up poster into the poster tube.

Step 10, if there is any extra room left in the poster tube, put some more paper towels in to fill the empty space not too much though you have to leave a little room for the endcap.

Step 11, tape up both ends of the tube

Step 12, and one more long piece of tape around the tube to make sure the tape on the endcaps does not come off.

Step 13, address the tube properly with the sharpie

Step 14, scribble out any old barcodes of address on the tube

after all of that it should be good to go!

Thank you,
the chip guy

1/13/12 8:10 PM
the chip guy

Edited: 01/13/12 8:26 PM
grizz632 - God dammit I want those Eastwood posters...

me too Grizz.... 

and a great place to buy shipping supplies in bulk

http://www.uline.com/
1/13/12 10:51 PM
RitchieGreaser
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is awesome info. Thanks for the packing tips.
1/14/12 2:42 AM
shatteredsoul14
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tube in a bigger tube is a million times easier than that process and just as effective. Just place packing material around the ends of the inner tube and at the bottom of the endcaps so the poster essentially "floats" in the bigger tube. The inner tube cannot even shift at all. Thats safe as hell without getting your hands nearly as dirty.
1/14/12 7:16 AM
the chip guy

shattered, 2 shitty tubes, equals one crushed poster, it's happened to me before that's why I stopped shipping that way but if you want to do it that way that's fine. I won't ship anything tho unless I can stand on the tube without it denting.
1/14/12 8:54 AM
shatteredsoul14
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i should have mentioned that the outside tube is a heavy duty one. like 1/8th of an inch thick. then again, you're vastly more experienced at packing posters. i did however work at UPS packing stuff, to my credit.
1/14/12 9:06 AM
the chip guy

If you go 1/8 on first tube you should be more than good! I've thought about using PVC pipe in the past but I heard from a guy in England that their customs office sawed through the pipe once to see whats inside.... he said there was a piece of customs tape over the opening and an "inspected" sticker on the tube, have you ever heard of someone doing this in the states?
1/14/12 12:10 PM
aznbala

I was just recently received a poster in a pvc pipe. Shipping took a few days longer but it was around Christmas.
1/14/12 12:38 PM
SamboReigns
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a Damn shame that the Ufc Brazil framed poster in the picture above got severely damaged because a seller was not informed or just didn't care. Remember that collectors sometimes sell or trade other sellers for holy grail items, this is why it is important to spread the knowledge, considering that we all deal with one another from time to time so kudos to chip for posting step-by-step instructions. I've personally had success shipping posters inside usps priority triangular boxes, this method is a bit pricey,however, both the buyer and seller will be satisfied that the poster made it to its destination unscathed. I pack the poster similar to the directions as mentioned above, than I place it in the triangular box. I haven't had one person who's purchased from me complain or ask for a refund because of damage. Hope this helps.
1/14/12 12:46 PM
Dawggy
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a b1 pride 21 shipped to me in a tube, that was inside a triangle box and it was still crushed. Despite a fragile sticker on it. Can never be too careful. Phone Post
1/14/12 1:03 PM
the chip guy

Edited: 01/14/12 1:05 PM
 that Brazil was damaged before I bought it... I just used that pic as an example.

the tube in a triangle works great, but i'd never ship in just a triangle because they can get f'd up.

Brian Peppers addressed the tube in the triangle too and that's a great precautionary step to take for anyone who uses this method. so even if the tube somehow get's out of the triangle it will still find it's way to the destination you might have to pay the mailman but at least you'll get your poster. 
1/14/12 8:55 PM
aces_taylor
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread, very informative. Thanks Chip. Phone Post
1/14/12 11:53 PM
fightpimp

I have had two or three complaints about shipping in over 5 years and hundreds of orders... CHIP is telling the truth.
1/17/12 5:55 PM
ChicagoTom
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aznbala - I was just recently received a poster in a pvc pipe. Shipping took a few days longer but it was around Christmas.
Hey yoooooooooooooo! Phone Post
1/17/12 8:16 PM
OnAHigherLevel
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread Chip. I have a question that probably isnt thread worthy. How does the UFC store ship Event Programs? I know some people dont like how they ship posters out, luckily i havent had a problem with posters yet. Just wondering if they do a good job shipping event programs.
1/17/12 8:18 PM
the chip guy

I've bought two or three programs from them and they all came in good shape. I'm sure others can give more details on how they ship.
1/18/12 5:58 PM
the chip guy

Question anyone?
1/18/12 6:30 PM
the chip guy

different  poster grading scales... "WE" should make one of our own for mma posters. It would need it's own thread and we would have to vote on it... but this stuff should make good reading for everyone in the meantime

http://www.postergeist.com/gradingscale.shtml

http://www.jonwarren.com/grading/10PointScale.htm

http://www.moviememories.com/Grading_System.php
1/18/12 6:34 PM
gage949
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is something that may take some time but I always wondered if there was a list of general values of popular posters. You can find mass lists of values for hot wheels, baseball cards, guns etc etc, we need something like that for posters. Maybe some of you more experienced collectors can chat and make start a list for pride and UFC posters. Phone Post
1/19/12 12:56 AM
OnAHigherLevel
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a question. How come the 2 UFC credentials/passes on MMA Collector from Dan Liddell have his picture on it and name but the Nick Diaz cornerman pass on CSC (which if I recall was from an event between the two Dan passes) does not? Also, does the UFC have seperate/different passes for the weigh-ins? I'm interested in starting a credential collection in the future.
1/19/12 3:17 PM
yumaslim

There are different passes for weigh ins, and the events. They also did wristbands for a few events.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.