UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Royler gets Red and Black belt from Rickson!

1/13/12 8:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jjd
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats Master Royler!!!
1/13/12 8:45 PM
jjd
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

from his twitter page: http://twitter.com/#!/RoylerGracie/status/157991007353450497/photo/1
1/13/12 9:10 PM
SteveHall
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well deserved, Royler is a great representative of BJJ.
1/13/12 9:40 PM
PTM2020
1406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/13/12 9:40 PM
 awesome.  Royce  should be next right?

1/13/12 9:47 PM
Angelo Popofski
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. Did a seminar with Royler. He is a true master of Jiu Jitsu. Phone Post
1/13/12 10:06 PM
Barry Soetoro Jr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/14/12 2:19 AM
dojo stormer

hey bruno panno sitting right next to rickson. mad props
1/14/12 2:37 AM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Royce should be next right?"

I believe Relson will be up for Red before Royce is up for coral.
1/14/12 7:15 AM
Matthieu Battle
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn, hickson just handing these things out like candy now. freakin' mcdojos...

/smack talking
1/14/12 7:22 AM
BJJSavate

Gracie North Carolina, Chief Instructor
Congratulations to my instructor of so many years.

Parabéns Mestre Royler!
1/14/12 8:02 AM
WidespreadPanic

DaveM - "Royce should be next right?"

I presume you mean:

not:
Coral-colored dress:

Great group photo. Rickson looks a little pale and tired??

1/14/12 8:05 AM
PTM2020
1406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaveM - "Royce should be next right?"

Relson has had it for years now.   I believe the Royce would be next and then Robin.
1/14/12 8:13 AM
DaveM

Edited: 01/14/12 8:13 AM
" Relson has had it for years now. I believe the Royce would be next and then Robin."

No, Relson is a coral belt, not red. I said Relson will be up for RED before Royce is up for coral... ie, Relson will probably be the next of the brothers to be promoted.
1/14/12 8:25 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ I hope so
1/14/12 12:24 PM
ato316
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

congrats royler
1/14/12 12:46 PM
freefaller21

Just curious, would Rorion be the one to promote Relson to red belt?
1/14/12 1:51 PM
Barry Soetoro Jr

Judging by the fact that Rickson is wearing his wristwatch he probably didn't do anything else except to put on his gi and to give out a speech. I wonder if he still actively trains at all?
1/14/12 4:17 PM
PTM2020

DaveM - " Relson has had it for years now. I believe the Royce would be next and then Robin."

No, Relson is a coral belt, not red. I said Relson will be up for RED before Royce is up for coral... ie, Relson will probably be the next of the brothers to be promoted.

ahhhh
1/14/12 5:40 PM
JSho
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

like JJ, too soon.

no doubting his great achievements in the sport and acknowledging his role running Humaita and creating saulo/xande, but he is only 46, this is an older mans belt - the other guys to take this belt in the past few years have been well in their 50's and black belts for over 30 years (in most cases). Royler was a kid blue belt when these guys were black belts.

Helio's side of the family have reduced the black belt degree system to having almost no meaning - what are these promotions even supposed to signify? at least the ibjjf are trying to tie specific #s of year milestones to the belts.
1/14/12 5:55 PM
SlapUsilly
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ sour grapes.
Just be happy for him. He's accomplished a hell of a lot more than any of us have.

Bringing the ibjjf into any argument is not going to win you points.

These guys have been training since infants..., anything they want to do within their own art is legitimate.

1/14/12 7:07 PM
graciesrule
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royler has been a Black Belt for 28 years, he is more than deserving his 7 th degree seeing how Rickson was given his 7 th at 30 but he chose to wear his black belt because he was still active and did not wear the red/black at 8 th degree instead of 7 th. The orginal times for degrees from Helio/Carlos Sr was 20 yrs as black belt for 8 th degree, 40 yrs as black belt for 9 th degree and 60 yrs as Black belt for 10 th degree.
1/15/12 12:22 AM
jjd

graciesrule - Royler has been a Black Belt for 28 years, he is more than deserving his 7 th degree seeing how Rickson was given his 7 th at 30 but he chose to wear his black belt because he was still active and did not wear the red/black at 8 th degree instead of 7 th. The orginal times for degrees from Helio/Carlos Sr was 20 yrs as black belt for 8 th degree, 40 yrs as black belt for 9 th degree and 60 yrs as Black belt for 10 th degree.

This!
1/15/12 1:19 AM
JSho
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/15/12 1:34 AM
SlapUsilly - ^ sour grapes.
Just be happy for him. He's accomplished a hell of a lot more than any of us have.

These guys have been training since infants..., anything they want to do within their own art is legitimate.

sour grapes makes no sense in this context, it isn't as if i have been overlooked for a coral belt.

Helio's side can of course do whatever they want with their own art, but there is seemingly a lack of consistency in terms of timelines and criteria between the brothers as to how and when they promote to 7th, 8th and 9th dan.

i bring the ibjjf in not to win points, since this isnt a game, merely to point out that the ibjjf (and indeed a number of the state federations in Brazil), promote purely based off time at level, and with larger numbers of years per grade, so that you dont have guys in there early 50's at 9th dan. if the significance of the coral and red belts is longevity in the art rather than contribution, then it should be a really significant number of years.

and "these guys" as you put it, have significantly different ages, rorion, relson and rickson are quite a bit older than royler, rolker and royce. 
and let's be frank here, promoting family members and friends on your own whim with no consistent criteria or timeframes would be derided as mcdojosih by most forums if it were to occur in any other art, why do they get a pass?
1/15/12 1:32 AM
dojo stormer

^^^ JSho has ipponed the correct.

say what you want about the ibjjf, but i really don't see any other organisations or people doing much to set rules to abide by. there has to be some clarity with these things.
1/15/12 2:19 AM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JSho - 
SlapUsilly - ^ sour grapes.

sour grapes makes no sense in this context, it isn't as if i have been overlooked for a coral belt.

Helio's side can of course do whatever they want with their own art, but there is seemingly a lack of consistency in terms of timelines and criteria between the brothers as to how and when they promote to 7th, 8th and 9th dan.

i bring the ibjjf in not to win points, since this isnt a game, merely to point out that the ibjjf (and indeed a number of the state federations in Brazil), promote purely based off time at level, and with larger numbers of years per grade, so that you dont have guys in there early 50's at 9th dan. if the significance of the coral and red belts is longevity in the art rather than contribution, then it should be a really significant number of years.

and "these guys" as you put it, have significantly different ages, rorion, relson and rickson are quite a bit older than royler, rolker and royce. 
and let's be frank here, promoting family members and friends on your own whim with no consistent criteria or timeframes would be derided as mcdojosih by most forums if it were to occur in any other art, why do they get a pass?

This.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.