UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> I love Mario Yamasaki

1/15/12 3:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Rogan
1089 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a great guy, and I'm always happy to see him. When I step into the octagon however, I represent the people watching at home that might have obvious questions, and when something is controversial I'm forced to confront it honestly because that's what I would want to hear from a person in my position if I was a fan watching it at home.

It was obviously a controversial call, and I'm sure some of you agree with it, but I certainly think it's also possible to argue that it was a bad call. That was my perspective, so I had to express it. I'm not a perfect person, and I fuck up all the time. It's a part of life.
Great referees have made awful mistakes. Even the consensus nominee for the greatest referee of all time, my personal friend the great Big John McCarthy has made mistakes.
Remember when Bustamante had to tap out Matt Linland twice?
Calling fight as a referee is hard as FUCK. If I was a referee Dana would probably hate me more than he hates Mazagatti. I wouldn't want that job! That's a shit load of pressure.

I think Mario Yamasaki is one of the best in the world at refereeing MMA. No doubt about it.
He's got great insight to the sport, he's a life long martial artist, and he's a really smart guy.
What I was acting from, is that I saw an incredible young talent get denied a KO victory for a questionable call. When I entered into the Octagon and was told of the official ruling that Silva was going to be disqualified for illegal blows to the back of the head everyone that I was around who heard the news opened their mouths in shock. Everyone said, "what?"
The people in the truck couldn't believe it. I had to read it back to them because I thought it was a mistake, and when I leaned over to explain it to Goldie he couldn't believe it either.
I had to ask Mario about it. I didn't know how he was going to respond, but I had to ask him.
Erick Silva is a very promising fighter and I felt like I had a responsibility to adress the issue.
No disrespect intended.

In before TL;DR
1/15/12 3:19 AM
MM-eh
674 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good post Joe.
IBProfane
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great post Joe, there was nothing wrong with what you did. Many on here as well as twitter thought that it was a good move, and supported your decision.
ProdigyV2
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tldr
1/15/12 3:22 AM
iTakeRockHardBrock
782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Joe Phone Post
1/15/12 3:23 AM
Mrbuckyohare

There were about 2 punches to the back of the head, but totally unintentional. It's hard to not hit the back when the opponent is scrambling. I still think silva should have got the TKO victory. Phone Post
1/15/12 3:23 AM
smth416
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah i wasnt happy with you tonight. you embarrassed mario there.
1/15/12 3:24 AM
kwhitelol

"You don't have to answer to us, but it's cool that you do" co-signed

i think this fight should be the catalyst for instant replay, i know it will be a lot of red tape stateside with the ACs but tonight goes to show it's well worth it as far as future prevention

Joe, why was there no interview with Carlo though? as bizarre as it was for the referee to be interviewed i think an equally crazy circumstance merited it
1/15/12 3:24 AM
greg155

referees should be held accountable, you did a good job of that. thanks
1/15/12 3:25 AM
Tankhead
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy post, Joe. Mario looked like he was caught with one foot off the merry-go-round.
1/15/12 3:25 AM
behzad

I think back of the head blows and fench grabs should be auto dq. Fighters know what they're doing. Phone Post
1/15/12 3:26 AM
KingYing

Joe was 100% right in confronting him, there was a BIG elephant in the room and what did you want him to do? Ignore it and pretend everythings gravy?

I honestly think people would have been more upset if he didn't ask Mario about his view on why he made that call.
1/15/12 3:27 AM
Terraform
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You did the right thing IMO Phone Post
1/15/12 3:27 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Although i disagree with your opinion on the call. I really do appreciate you taking the time to come here and clear things up. You honestly make this forum a better place, unlike most of us. Have fun in Rio, Joe. Phone Post
1/15/12 3:28 AM
charms434
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know why some people are complaining. Personally joe, I'd feel you weren't doing your job if you said nothing. You were absolutely right to ask Mario why he gave the DQ.
Because this took place in Brazil is there any commission Erick can go to and try to at least get a NC?
Also love the podcast. U should get on satellite radio Phone Post
UGCTT_Crooklyn
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TapouT Radio, Crooklyn's Corner
Great post, and I'm glad you addressed the questionable call. I support your actions 100% 
HBwrestler

Joe Rogan is becoming the Larry Merchant of MMA

thats not a bad thing though
1/15/12 3:29 AM
The Notorious OMG
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/15/12 3:30 AM
mario being "embarrassed" is peanuts compared to that kid having his win taken away from him

everyone I watched with was glad joe asked him to explain

to let a call go like that and not even mention it any further or ask the person making the call to explain themselves is exactly what's wrong with guys like keith kizer and terrible athletic commissions and awful juding in MMA and boxing, no one is ever held accountable and it comes off looking fucking corrupt

it would have left a lot of people frustrated and pissed off looking for answers

mario will get on with his life and continue to be a good referee who makes occasional mistakes I'm sure

baseball managers scream in umpires faces on television, basketball players call refs names and mock them on television... asking him to explain a bad call is really not unreasonable
1/15/12 3:31 AM
Knarkilla
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe I love your podcast and your opinions. Fuck the haters and keep the good coming to all of us viewers and listeners! Phone Post
1/15/12 3:34 AM
cjtwich16

I still think you shouldnt have questioned him in the octagon. Regardless, respect for the post. Phone Post
1/15/12 3:36 AM
Shakwon
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I appreciated you discussing the call and offering your opinion Phone Post
1/15/12 3:36 AM
MrBojangles

Thought it was awesome you told your opinion. Sometimes think could use another person on the broadcast, to here some differing opinions on issues that come up
1/15/12 3:37 AM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/15/12 3:38 AM
 I didn't care one way or the other. 

1/15/12 3:39 AM
MMArijuana

As Mario said, he has to make a call in that split second, Joe has to do the same after entering the octagon to interview participants, especially with bizarre circumstances. No harm, no foul.

I thought it was fine. Mario seems like a really good guy! Phone Post
1/15/12 3:40 AM
Bellzer

Joe you are our voice, or something like that you know what i mean.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.