UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Who's watching ESPN UFC special?

1/15/12 10:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BLACK and BLUE Comic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Comic Book, Creator

On ESPN2?

It's been talked about and is now on.  If you don't get ESPN2, google is your friend within 2 or 3 links.
1/15/12 10:10 AM
Gritty
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watching it. Shamrock looks swell. Phone Post
1/15/12 10:24 AM
ghost842
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn it, I missed most of it and it doesn't look like they are going to reply it. Was it a hack job or a fair assessment? Phone Post
1/15/12 10:30 AM
CraneFu
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poor Monte Cox...his fighters are screwed
1/15/12 10:30 AM
BLACK and BLUE Comic

MMA Comic Book, Creator
 I thought it was pretty fair and balanced.  They had guys complaining about pay and they also showed how the UFC is very much a meritocracy.  

The fact that Ken and Ricco were the only ones on camera made it seem like axe grinding.  Even Josh Gross praised the UFC for the things they do to help and support fighters.
1/15/12 10:32 AM
Perfer Et Obdura
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought Ricco and that lawyer guy came across well.

Josh Gross however, was a douche
1/15/12 10:53 AM
miamiraider

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7456309
1/15/12 12:01 PM
bartatua

is that link the entire report, or only a part of it?
1/15/12 12:23 PM
Mr Cox
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shamrock is a joke.  Pretty weak piece, maybe they thought they would have more people to use

1/15/12 12:57 PM
Gritty
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To me, that pay is fair for lower level guys. Imagine pay in any sport where you're ten spots down from the main event. Phone Post
1/15/12 1:11 PM
ghost842
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fact is the guys the people tune in to see fight (main event / co main event) get paid and get paid well. I feel for the guys that have to keep a day job but if you put 15 of the 12/12 guys alone on a card no one would pay 55$ to watch them. As they gain recognition and win more they get paid more. how much did Bones get paid for his first fight? The same guys crying the UFC should have a Union and min pay should be 25/25 are usually the same guys saying MMA has peaked or declining, so how would that even be a sustainable model? IMO the UFC invests a ton into the growth of the sport not to mention providing insurance for their fighters. As they grow more I think we will see the mins increase but it's still going to take time. Phone Post
1/15/12 1:12 PM
Gritty

That made far too much sense ghost Phone Post
1/15/12 1:12 PM
Haulport

Gritty - To me, that pay is fair for lower level guys. Imagine pay in any sport where you're ten spots down from the main event.
Yeah...how does it compare to what, say, a rookie player on the Cleveland Browns get's paid? They're pretty far from the playoffs for years and years now right?

Just in case you need to look it up, the minimum salary for a NFL rookie in 2012 will be $375,000 a year. So I guess it makes sense for a Billion Dollar company like Zuffa to pay a guy who is risking his life for them $5k twice a year.....right? Zuffa only makes somewhere around $500 million a year in revenues...
1/15/12 1:14 PM
Lux Fixxins

^ lol @ this bullshit. Phone Post
1/15/12 1:15 PM
Chris27

Haulport - 
Gritty - To me, that pay is fair for lower level guys. Imagine pay in any sport where you're ten spots down from the main event.
Yeah...how does it compare to what, say, a rookie player on the Cleveland Browns get's paid? They're pretty far from the playoffs for years and years now right?

Just in case you need to look it up, the minimum salary for a NFL rookie in 2012 will be $375,000 a year. So I guess it makes sense for a Billion Dollar company like Zuffa to pay a guy who is risking his life for them $5k twice a year.....right? Zuffa only makes somewhere around $500 million a year in revenues...

LOL at people comparing the UFC to the NFL, didnt the NFL make like 9 billion last year?

1/15/12 1:17 PM
Haulport

Lux Fixxins - ^ lol @ this bullshit.
What bullshit?

The UFC just with it's PPVs makes somewhere around $450mm a year. Do you think it makes ANY SENSE AT ALL that they can't can't pay fighters $50k a fight minimum?
1/15/12 1:20 PM
Lux Fixxins

Yes. Phone Post
1/15/12 1:24 PM
Gritty

You didn't just compare NFL guys to ufc guys I hope. Phone Post
1/15/12 1:24 PM
teflonbilly

When UFC has 9 billion a year in tv contracts, plus ticket sales, plus exclusive merhcandising rights then you can compare the minimum salaries. Also, NCAA serves as a training ground for the NFL where the guys play for free, surely Haluport isn't advocating all other promoters pay nothing for fights?
1/15/12 1:25 PM
Haulport

I'm not even going to continue discussing this with people like this. Let me assure you that Zuffa doesn't pay their graphic designers $24k a year. You know why? Because they can go to any other company and get more. The fighters are STUCK with a very small employment pool and Lorenzo FUCKS them in the ASS because of it.

The mail room guys at the Zuffa offices get paid more than some fighters who are putting their lives on the line on national television.
1/15/12 1:27 PM
Humphrey

it's funny. Every time someone does the NFL or any pro sport comparison I instinctively do a face palm.

it's got to be one of the silliest arguments that exist.
1/15/12 1:27 PM
Haulport

teflonbilly - When UFC has 9 billion a year in tv contracts, plus ticket sales, plus exclusive merhcandising rights then you can compare the minimum salaries. Also, NCAA serves as a training ground for the NFL where the guys play for free, surely Haluport isn't advocating all other promoters pay nothing for fights?
Nah, just the promoters who make HALF A BILLION FUCKING DOLLARS A YEAR...

And the SCAM that colleges run is disgraceful. They should have to pay their athletes also but they too have come together to make sure they can abuse athletes too...
1/15/12 1:29 PM
Haulport

Humphrey - it's funny. Every time someone does the NFL or any pro sport comparison I instinctively do a face palm.

Calling someone's argument silly is not a way to disprove it. It simply shows you are incapable of reasoning so you hide behind the veil of "what u r saying is too ridiculous to respond to" to mask you inability to disprove something or make a point.

So please tell me why a company that makes $500 million a year can't pay a minimum salary of $50k a year?
1/15/12 1:46 PM
Haulport

Dead Again -  
Haulport - Yeah...how does it compare to what, say, a rookie player on the Cleveland Browns get's paid? They're pretty far from the playoffs for years and years now right?

But people pay to watch those teams, those guys bring in revenue. Baseball fans understand that the team needs rookies.

Look at how many people complain about the UFC cards. If the "hardcore" fans of the forum don't want to watch the fighters....why should they get paid?

Not to mention the people here that always say there is too much MMA. Why should the UFC pay guys that the fans want to see fired?

Less shows, with only main event caliber fighters.... why pay guys the hardcore fans don't want to see?
The majority of the fans don't care about most of the minimum salary rookies in the NFL. No different than the UFC.

If the UFC had less shows and just didn't hire those guys I would be fine with that. But they do hire them, profit off of them and pay the dogshit wages that are half of what they pay their office people. They do this so they can hoard as much talent as possible and keep it away from potential competitors.

It is disgusting...
1/15/12 1:56 PM
Humphrey

Haulport - 
Humphrey - it's funny. Every time someone does the NFL or any pro sport comparison I instinctively do a face palm.

Calling someone's argument silly is not a way to disprove it. It simply shows you are incapable of reasoning so you hide behind the veil of "what u r saying is too ridiculous to respond to" to mask you inability to disprove something or make a point.

So please tell me why a company that makes $500 million a year can't pay a minimum salary of $50k a year?

I realize you aren't capable or rational thought because your only goal here is to bash the UFC. but any moron with a brain knows that these guys don't work 40 hours a week for the UFC.

if you're too stupid to know the difference between a salaried worker and a contracted fighter, I can't help you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.