UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Earth sheltered VS Monolithic dome

1/17/12 2:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ham and Egger
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Selling one of our houses and buying land to build upon in the Texas hill country. Trying to find info on all the aquifers but it looks like we'll be near Edwards or Travis, far from Oggalalla...

Anyway Im trying to find out info on the pros and cons with each. The most prevalent natural disaster in the area has been fire due to drought. The main thing Im concerned about is passing cooling in the summer.

Ive been scouring the internet for info. Just wondering what some of you guys think.
1/17/12 3:24 PM
Ham and Egger
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think im gonna go for the dome backed up to a berm with rock/moss covering the exposed area.
1/17/12 4:04 PM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Texas A&M just put a report that said the current drought may well be a super drought that could last till 2025! And I believe the Edwards aquifer is the one SA(?) uses. At the rate the city is growing would think twice about having to rely upon that going forward, but that is just me.
1/17/12 9:51 PM
Ham and Egger

quick - Texas A&M just put a report that said the current drought may well be a super drought that could last till 2025! And I believe the Edwards aquifer is the one SA(?) uses. At the rate the city is growing would think twice about having to rely upon that going forward, but that is just me.

Unfortunately drought cycles are just part of being a Texan. My family got hit with it in 1917 after they walked here from Tennessee after the Civil war and again in the 50s.

They know from tree rings that these cycles do tend do last several years. Although we were supposed to have a very dry winter and we've actually gotten quite a bit of relief in the coastal area.

Im not going to raise any cattle so as long as my catchment system plus well can sustain drinking water, raised beds, chickens, rabbits, maybe some goats and guineas we'll be good.

It looks like bastrop county (30-45 minutes SE of Austin) is over the carrizo wilcox aquifer which is fed by the east Texas river basins and even Louisiana. Seems like that may be a good way to go.

1/17/12 9:58 PM
Ham and Egger

kvr29 -  I love them both, I would go earth sheltered facing east to north east.

Im guessing that direction for passive cooling eh?

I have got a lot of reading to do. I have kept up with your progress quite a bit and read some of the stuff you posted but still have a lot to learn.

Being near Austin there are companies that specialize in building "green" homes but I dont want to get raked on the price because its hip or whatever. On the other hand my knowledge is limited to drywall, painting and apprentice level electrical work. Id be pretty nervous laying my own foundation.

Still have some time though, we'll see.
1/18/12 10:03 AM
Ham and Egger

^ Yeah you're right. Thanks KVR. Thatll keep my busy for a while.
1/23/12 4:28 AM
Ham and Egger

Man im suffering from information overload.

Did find a cool site though.

BYOH.com

Site that helps you be your own GC, with a cool tool that helps you get a rough idea on finished price.

Been reading, scouring forums.

ourcoolhouse.com is another great one, although that guy has an edge over me being that Im not a physicist.

It seems that the area Im going to build in represents a challenge in that the avg temp and humidity are both high. From the charts Ive looked at that causes problems with cooling.

KVR you are bermed correct? Do you think its worth the trouble to go completely earth covered or is 2 sides covered with say a radiant barrier enough?
1/23/12 1:10 PM
Ham and Egger

^ Thanks man.

Check this place out.

http://www.greenhomesforsale.com/listing.php?id=19228

I have never been to Maine and have no idea about the area but that place is beautiful and within my price range.
1/25/12 12:23 AM
williepep
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 -  don't know why those didn't show up

<a href="http://www.realtyofmaine.com/index.php/listings/view/Residential/1018404">http://www.realtyofmaine.com/index.php/listings/view/Residential/1018404</a> 

<a href="http://www.realtyofmaine.com/index.php/listings/view/Residential/1032262">www.realtyofmaine.com/index.php/listings/view/Residential/1032262</a>

<a href="http://www.realtyofmaine.com/index.php/listings/view/Residential/985103">www.realtyofmaine.com/index.php/listings/view/Residential/985103</a>

Wow great deals

Cold would drive me away great deals.

Looks like people like having a place way out in that area.

1/25/12 3:22 AM
Ham and Egger

Maine is insanely beautiful.

Also one of the only areas in the country that would be untouched come nuclear war, the other being west TX which may as well have been nuked.

1/27/12 1:59 PM
simthefarmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 -  and the solar arcade

<a href="http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Homes/1982-03-01/The-15-000-Solar-Arcade.aspx">www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Homes/1982-03-01/The-15-000-Solar-Arcade.aspx</a>

I find it amusing the architect has this filed under survival consultants, that's new

<a href="http://www.macdonaldarchitects.com/design/residential/survival_consultants/">www.macdonaldarchitects.com/design/residential/survival_consultants/</a>

cool house kits! pretty cheap too as i can read
1/27/12 7:49 PM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those were some pretty good deals. Kvr is actively recruiting. ;)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.