UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Miragliotta defends Anthony Johnson stand ups

1/17/12 4:34 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Long time MMA referee Dan Miragliotta came under heavy fan criticism for what was perceived to be quick stand ups in the Belfort vs. Johnson co-main event. There were even rumblings from beneath a canopy of tinfoil hats that Miragliotta may have done so at the behest of Zuffa, as retribution for Johnson's failed weigh-in.

As Brazil does not regulate mixed martial arts, the regulatory duties there are coordinated by former Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and current Vice President of Regulatory Affairs for the UFC, Marc Ratner. Dan Miragliotta, Leon Roberts, and Mario Yamasaki were among the officials Ratner chose for the event

While Miragliotta has not watched a replay, the contest is fresh in his mind, and with the crystal clarity required of a referee, he refutes the charges..

"If there's two guys on the ground that aren't doing anything or if they're in a takedown position and they're just very tired so they're leaning against each other and they're not going for a single-leg or they're not trying something different to change their position, I give them some time," Miragliotta today told MMAjunkie.com "I warn them, and then I'll separate them."

"(Anthony Johnson) established position and then just held his wrist and laid on top of him. He had that one real nice, heavy punch that kind of busted up Vitor's face in the very early beginning of the first round, and then after that his takedowns had just kind of stopped."

"Honestly, the way the fans were screaming and hollering for the fight, I don't think it would have mattered if it was up or down. They were just into the fight. I don't listen to the crowd. They don't bother me."

"The UFC never talks to us. You go out there, and Marc Ratner is the one that's responsible for us. We never talk to Dana or Zuffa or any of the other guys. I may have talked to Dana once or twice since I've been doing this. They don't bother us."

"Never, ever have you ever heard the UFC grab an official and say to them, 'Let's change the criteria,' or, 'Let's do something different because we need to keep the fans happy.'"

"Neither corner came up to me and said anything negative. I rode with Anthony Johnson's corner in the bus on the way to the airport, and he thanked me for giving his guy a chance to fight. He never said, 'I wish you would have let them stay on the ground a little longer,' or, 'I wish you would have stood them up faster.' "

"I don't care who wins the fights. I'm honored and privileged to be there. I'm not interested in who wins. I just enjoy doing what I do."

Read entire article...

1/17/12 4:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kirik
1924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
 Miragliotta is an amazing ref.
1/17/12 4:35 PM
12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought they were fine.

How long should a guy get to lay on you without working?
(no, short punches to the side aren't working)
1/17/12 4:38 PM
Suess
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dan's a stud
1/17/12 4:40 PM
BooZe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  Miragliotta is an amazing ref.
Phone Post
1/17/12 4:40 PM
Sofa King Cool
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -  I thought they were fine.

Apparently only ten seconds. Phone Post
1/17/12 4:42 PM
Dawkins

Kirik -  Miragliotta is an amazing ref.

So you really think those were good stand ups? I don't care what he says. Dan was 1000% feeding off the crowd.
1/17/12 4:43 PM
Winnson
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Years ago I used to think he was a goof.

Then he put the choke on Daley after him swinging at Kos and now this fight.

Two big standout moments of Awesomesauce for Big Dan.
1/17/12 4:43 PM
Tad Ghostal
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All stand ups suck, let them fight. Can't defend a takedown? Tough shit, get back yourself. Can't mount offence from top position? Tough shit, 10-10 round.
1/17/12 4:44 PM
ABE FROMAN
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More refs need to take his example.
1/17/12 4:44 PM
Tad Ghostal
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  Miragliotta is an amazing ref.

I was certainly amazed at his decisions to keep standing it up.
1/17/12 4:50 PM
MickColins
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only people complaining are college wrestling fans who think groundfighting means takedowns.
1/17/12 4:51 PM
Deaf Forever

Miragliotta's a disgrace. He refs according to fan reaction.

Kirik - Miragliotta is an amazing ref.

Yup the same ref who let Frank Mir take dozens of unanswered shots from Carwin long after he was "TKO'd" much less completely unconcious.
1/17/12 4:53 PM
Zamiel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What fight were you guys watching? AJ wasn't doing jack shit down there.
1/17/12 4:56 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
I was fine with it.
1/17/12 4:57 PM
fob bob
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zamiel - What fight were you guys watching? AJ wasn't doing jack shit down there.

yep. dude was stalling and probably tired.
1/17/12 4:58 PM
CLINT NJHC
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agreed with Big Dan on this one, they weren't going anywhere...
1/17/12 4:58 PM
OftheWay

Standups seemed way too fast and without reason.
1/17/12 5:01 PM
catgobling

Edited: 01/17/12 5:01 PM
im not saying they were right or wrong, but ive been watching MMA for a long time and i really havent ever seen stand ups that quick. i knew it was going to be an issue with a lot of fans, because they were seriously awkward to watch. that being said, i dont think they changed the outcome of the fight and i wouldnt look too hard at this. AJs gas tank was obviously depleted much too quickly, and you could tell he was content to lay there.

there is no doubt in my mind the reason AJ lost this fight is because of himself, there is nothing else to blame
1/17/12 5:02 PM
r_o_y

i agree with dan. even against the cage they weren't moving. it had nothing to do with the crowd,they were happy no matter where it was.
1/17/12 5:03 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Dan is a decent ref, I much prefer him over Mazagatti, who seems to not have a clear idea of what the rules are.

Yeah, Dan has made a few mistakes, but to listen to the knuckle-dragging mouth-breathing droolers that seem to make up the majority of his detractors, you'd think he was the anti-christ and should be burned at the stake. 
1/17/12 5:04 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont mind the standups themselves. But the fact that they are inconsistent in how they use them in MMA

AJ was stalling in my opinion, he was not trying to fight except for that one flying punch into guard. He admitted himself he was tired and gassed

The problem is when another ref in the next UFC will let someone do exactly what AJ did for the whole round

1/17/12 5:04 PM
TravenBJJ

Tad Ghostal - All stand ups suck, let them fight. Can't defend a takedown? Tough shit, get back yourself. Can't mount offence from top position? Tough shit, 10-10 round.

ding ding ding, we have a winner
1/17/12 5:05 PM
LayNprayNINJA

12SixElbow -  I thought they were fine.

By your logic, Sonnen should have been stood up 5+ times in the Anderson fight. 

Dan M, as great as he is, stood up Rumble more, in less than two minutes, that we have ever seen in the UFC. 

I am not buying for one second that the crowd, something personal, and or Zuffa played a role in that. 

I am not even speaking to whether or not the should be stood up that fast, rather to the fact that there has never been this quick of stand ups in the UFC. We are sopposed to believe it is just a coincedence? Not I.
1/17/12 5:08 PM
Anarkis
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GJ Dan.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.