UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Web protests against UFC supported SOPA

1/18/12 8:58 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Major web sites including Craigslist, Wikipedia and Reddit went dark starting on midnight January 18th in protest over the controversial Stop Online Privacy Act (SOPA). The United States Senate will vote on the bill starting January 24th.

The anti-piracy legislation is supported by many media, labor and manufacturing companies as it is seen as a way to curb piracy while online companies oppose it and view it as censorship and stifling innovation. A good primer on the pros and cons is here.

Other web sites, including Google, supported its online brethren through other means. Google blacked out its logo as seen below:

Both sides of the SOPA debate can be seen in various articles across the Internet. According to Politico, two of the major issues in the legislation is one that would allow the movie and television industry to sue companies when its web sites support pirated material and another which would allow the government to block certain web searches.

In addition, there is concern that SOPA will suprress online journalism. The American Society of News Editors (ASNE) provides a compelling argument against the passage of SOPA:

…our members use the Internet in ways that could be construed to violate SOPA,
and that’s not acceptable. Whether utilizing content contributed by third parties, stepping outside the direct reporter-source interaction to acquire and use information from websites around the world, or augmenting our stories through the use of multimedia previously unavailable to print-only publications, ASNE members continue to change the way news is presented. We fear that SOPA will restrict our ability to engage in these activities and stifle our capacity to innovate when we most sorely need the freedom to do so.

This past November, Zuffa head Lorenzo Fertitta sent a letter to House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith in support of SOPA. Smith introduced the bill in the House of Representatives. Fertitta’s main concern in the letter was the illegal streaming of its PPVs. “This is the issue that keeps us up at night and, we are very concerned about the continued theft of our shows,” wrote Fertitta.

Payout Perspective:

There are interesting arguments on both sides of the SOPA debate. The blackout by the collective of online sites is a definite attention getter for this piece of legislation. The UFC has always been proactive in protecting its intellectual property rights and the piracy of its PPVs. For it to support this legislation makes sense. But, it seems that the primary debate lies outside of the PPV piracy issue.

What could SOPA mean for online journalism…and places like this where third party sources and information from other web sites are used.

We will see how the vote plays out next week.

Read entire article...

UFC heavyweight Shane Carwin came out against the legislation.

While it is true that without the current UFC owners the sport would not have grown to it's current level. Without the internet and peer to peer sharing of content and information there would be no sport to save.

We the people came together and found a way to share our love for a sport that was trying to be squashed out by the Government. Now the money made from that survival effort is going into bills that are designed to make sure that doesn't happen again. If the Government wants it gone or a big company wants the site gone it is gone. We need to protect our freedoms in the real and virtual world and I do not support SOPA.

1/18/12 9:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tankhead
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut - Can people really not seeing this chipping away of your liberties? I mean goddamn, Ray Charles can see it at this point.

Stand up and do something, at least sign the petition.
But Dana like it and we LOVE whatever Dana likes! Phone Post
1/18/12 9:05 AM
UGCTT_Zaph
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hasn't the Obama administration pretty much killed SOPA at least for now? I understand the protest is mostly about PIPA now. Either way, I've been faithfully purchasing nearly every UFC PPV for many years now, but their stance on this issue makes me want to start watching streams instead. Protecting your investment is fine, but being willing to destroy the Internet as we know it in order to do so is just over-the-top greedy. Phone Post
1/18/12 9:14 AM
daba
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sites like the UG would likely be shut down under SOPA. Surprised the UG isn't blacking out.
1/18/12 9:16 AM
NotAWannaBeAGonnaBe
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck SOPA, the UFC could just offer incentive to customers that report new sites that stream live events get a free ppv. Phone Post
1/18/12 9:16 AM
Brian Littlefield

ChokeEmOut - Can people really not seeing this chipping away of your liberties? I mean goddamn, Ray Charles can see it at this point.

Stand up and do something, at least sign the petition.

1/18/12 9:17 AM
Brian Littlefield

daba - Sites like the UG would likely be shut down under SOPA. Surprised the UG isn't blacking out.

1/18/12 9:19 AM
phillipinho
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More UFC PPV buys > Liberty on the Internet as a whole

Yay UFC! Phone Post
1/18/12 9:21 AM
Rabadaba
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come on UG news. It's "piracy" not "privacy" Phone Post
1/18/12 9:23 AM
YourHeadOnSpork

mma.tv would be forced to shutdown if anyone posted a .gif linking of a UFC fight. Call your senators today and tell them they have no right to censor the internet because nobody should own the internet.
1/18/12 9:27 AM
RLL
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YourHeadOnSpork - mma.tv would be forced to shutdown if anyone posted a .gif linking of a UFC fight. Call your senators today and tell them they have no right to censor the internet because nobody should own the internet.

THIS.
1/18/12 9:28 AM
rushinbear
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/18/12 9:30 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know that the UFC leadership doesn't like piracy, but SOPA isn't the way to fix it. It's like a 7-11 owner saying he doesn't like shoplifters and voting in favor of turning the US into north korea to keep it from happening. Very short sighted, very stupid.
1/18/12 9:31 AM
UGCTT_Zaph
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/

This is what I was talking about in my previous post.
1/18/12 9:32 AM
gabemadrid
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YourHeadOnSpork - mma.tv would be forced to shutdown if anyone posted a .gif linking of a UFC fight. Call your senators today and tell them they have no right to censor the internet because nobody should own the internet.
Yeah and from what I heard they're trying to make it a felony to post such copyrighted material. So enjoy 10 years for posting a funny .gif from a movie. Phone Post
1/18/12 9:33 AM
Fugazi

RLL - 
YourHeadOnSpork - mma.tv would be forced to shutdown if anyone posted a .gif linking of a UFC fight. Call your senators today and tell them they have no right to censor the internet because nobody should own the internet.

THIS.

1/18/12 9:40 AM
Fillthy
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was very sad to see the UG up and running this morning.

booooooo.
1/18/12 9:43 AM
Brigham
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Zaph -  www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/

The Obama administration also said they wouldn't support the NDAA act with the provision if indefinite detention of US citizens without trial but then signed it into law stating they had the power to do it but they wouldn't use it. They're a bunch of fucks, both sides of the isle. Phone Post
1/18/12 9:46 AM
UGCTT_Zaph

Brigham - 
UGCTT_Zaph -  www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/

The Obama administration also said they wouldn't support the NDAA act with the provision if indefinite detention of US citizens without trial but then signed it into law stating they had the power to do it but they wouldn't use it. They're a bunch of fucks, both sides of the isle. Phone Post

True.  The tone of the article makes it sound like it's dead for now, but I wouldn't put it past those bastards to pull a second NDAA on their people.
1/18/12 9:46 AM
Darup

UGCTT_Zaph -  <a href="http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/">www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/</a>

This is what I was talking about in my previous post

He never said he would veto it. Also fuck SOPA!
1/18/12 9:51 AM
wiggum
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brigham - 

Yup. As someone who worked for the Obama campaign, and who listened to the President's call to enter into public service, I am totally disillusioned. You cannot trust the Administration. Obama promised to veto any bill that gave telecom immunity, he didn't; promised to veto NDAA, he didn't; promised to shutdown GITMO, he didn't. When it comes to civil liberties, he simply cannot be taken seriously. Good on Google, Wikipedia, et al for the blackout.

The UG should have joined in.
1/18/12 9:54 AM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck the UFC if it supports that fucking bill.

1/18/12 9:58 AM
grkblood

Edited: 01/18/12 9:58 AM
Joe Show Radio, Owner
Even though I run a very small website and its probably not the smartest choice for an MMA website to take when UFC is backing this we are blacked-out today as well.

We don't really make a difference in the big picture but this is worth atleast taking a stance against. 
1/18/12 10:02 AM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i run a large forum and had a 12 hour downtime. I have at least 2000 users online at any given time so the exposure to my userbase was large.
1/18/12 10:11 AM
damane08
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drunkie - the funny thing is that even if passed sopa and pipa. the pirates they are claiming they are after will be side stepping them just like always. pipa sites that are blocked can still be visited by using the ip address of the site.

these bills are not about stopping pirating. it is about control. the ass clowns in government that are pushing this don't even know or understand what they are voting on. all they know is big company's are feeding there pockets to pass it. the assclowns in office should be there for the people but all they care about is there own pockets. we are being sold out in the name of protecting copy rights, but the truth is we are being sold out in the name of greed. our freedoms mean shit to them. all that matters is there bank books

This

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.