UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Normal recovery time for rib injuries?

1/18/12 10:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheRealJoker
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Worked for a routine single leg last Thursday, felt rib pop immediately... 2 days before tournament :(

Cant wait to be back on the mats. I was feeling really good about my training these last few months and I hate this setback!!!
1/26/12 10:49 AM
TheRealJoker
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The pain laying on my side has subsided and makes me think I can train again. Then I twist somewhat around the house and get a wakeup call :(

Hurts when I sneeze still. Thanks for the info! Phone Post
2/3/12 9:37 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how you feeling now a week later?

i torn some cartilage on the side as well before, bad takedown, and it took about a month
2/3/12 9:59 AM
TheRealJoker

ArthurKnoqOut - how you feeling now a week later?

i torn some cartilage on the side as well before, bad takedown, and it took about a month
3 weeks as of yesterday. I'm feeling very little discomfort. I'm gonna do some light drilling over the weekend in my garage with one of my most trusted training partners and if all goes well I will resume light drilling in the gym on Monday.

I want to just pick up where I left off but I don't wanna reinjure myself and get set back even longer. Rib injuries suck! Phone Post
2/3/12 6:29 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah dude tell me about. i waited like 3 weeks, went back, was doing shrimps and was feeling off, then first drill (triangles from closed/open guarD) and pulled it slightly again and that was it for another 2 weeks...happened to me twice thus far haha

a few months later i got horrible ring worm and was out for 6 weeks again...

f-ck setbacks
2/4/12 1:20 PM
TheRealJoker

belowzero - Great to hear. Again, you are on the right track to recovery.

Is there a reason why are you so eager to go back to training? You could give yourself more time just to make sure that it's not too soon. Just wondering.
I want to compete a lot this year. I'd like to do some notable grappling tournaments and maybe amateur mma if my body holds up. I had a pretty good routine going for the past 6 weeks before my injury. Then two days before my first competition of the year my rib popped :(

I want to get back into that routine. The longer I am out the harder it will be to get back imo. Phone Post
2/8/12 12:41 PM
TheRealJoker

I've been drilling with smaller guys. Just flow rolling and drilling. I can still feel discomfort if i'm on the bottom. I can tell I can't work aggressively for takedowns or have people my size or bigger on top of me yet. But it's encouraging to see the progress i've made from where I was not even a week ago. Phone Post
2/16/12 1:04 PM
EcBJJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I popped a rib training yesterday. We are training for the Abu Dhabi Pro Trials in NY and yesterday we were doing competition style rolling (starting from the feet, keeping score, etc) and I was escaping an armbar and suddenly my rib popped. It hurts when I am resting on the side of the injury but I can move a little bit. It sucks. I had been training 6 days a week consistently for the last 3 months. Another teammate popped his rib 2 days ago drilling takedowns. Sucks...Hope to feel better soon.
10/4/12 4:10 PM
norcalmma
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have the same problem. except i didnt hear anything pop. it doesnt bother me with warm ups, drills and light rolling, but when we are rolling hard it hurts like hell. been taking a anti-inflammatory and icing it. any other suggestions?
10/4/12 4:43 PM
TheRealJoker

norcalmma - i have the same problem. except i didnt hear anything pop. it doesnt bother me with warm ups, drills and light rolling, but when we are rolling hard it hurts like hell. been taking a anti-inflammatory and icing it. any other suggestions?
Rest or it will be an ongoing issue Phone Post
1/29/13 12:58 AM
CharlotN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/29/13 1:00 AM
Healing can take a couple of weeks, whether it is from some kind of accident or from a disease
1/29/13 4:13 PM
Bean Bag
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2-4 weeks on a bruised rib, sometimes less

4-6 weeks on a cracked or broken rib

A dislocation can take months and may become a chronic issue. 

Do not train with a cracked or broken rib unless you want a punctured lung.

3/20/13 9:10 AM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Intercostal muscle strain is about the same as a cracked or broken rib. I'm dealing with this now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.