UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Daniel Cormier: Best Wrestler in MMA

1/18/12 10:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Moist Gracie
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know he's only had a few fights, bust he's displayed the best wrestling we've ever seen. Great throws, awesome low-level takedowns, converting from singles to doubles, etc. His wrestling is top notch.

And I know what most of you will say, "GSP has the best wrestling." No. He has the best blast double in MMA and has been the most successful with this takedown. But he's not the best wrestler. 
1/18/12 10:58 PM
Moist Gracie
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/18/12 11:06 PM
Acidic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol no not really

Credentials dont mean shit. Didnt he struggle taking someone outside of SF down?

I dont think anyone has better wrestling then GSP
1/18/12 11:10 PM
Moist Gracie

Acidic -  lol no not really

Credentials dont mean shit. Didnt he struggle taking someone outside of SF down?

Watch the highlight and tell me he doesn't have the best wrestling. He may not have proven it against top wrestlers yet, but he's shown damn good wrestling all around, credentials aside.

The only other argument that can be made is Jon Jones. However I think Jones uses a lot more judo and stuff like that, albeit these moves do exist in wrestling. Jones also has an awesome low level shot, super athletic. I just think Cormier is the best overll and has shown the widest array of skills. 
1/18/12 11:17 PM
TheGreatTS
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's really arguable who has the best wrestler but for me. Chael sonnen has the best double while I would say Jon jones has better slam Phone Post
1/18/12 11:55 PM
ThePoopWizard
476 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Harlem -  Jon Jones might disagree with that statement.... He's man-handled well decorated wrestlers.
No he hasn't. After surviving my butt hurtness Jose Aldo is much more inpressive. Defensive wrestling wise. And gsps has better mma wrestling. Out of the last three lhw champions only one is a wrestler. Jones. Of those he has fought in the ufc only two were wrestlers. Obrien and hammil? Right not in the ufc Phone Post
1/18/12 11:58 PM
ThePoopWizard
476 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moist Gracie -
Acidic -  lol no not really

Watch the highlight and tell me he doesn't have the best wrestling. He may not have proven it against top wrestlers yet, but he's shown damn good wrestling all around, credentials aside.

The only other argument that can be made is Jon Jones. However I think Jones uses a lot more judo and stuff like that, albeit these moves do exist in wrestling. Jones also has an awesome low level shot, super athletic. I just think Cormier is the best overll and has shown the widest array of skills. 
Jones low leg shots aren't great. Took him forever to take rampage down... He attempted many times.

In a pure wrestling match jones loses to Cormier sonnen Munoz phil Davis and rashad. And likely in mma as well. all have much better takedowns against highlebel wrestlers. And Cormier is just a boss. No one kos bigfootlike that Phone Post
1/19/12 12:11 AM
ThePoopWizard

UGCTT_Harlem -  We are not talking about wrestling matches..... WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IN MMA.

Nobody will manhandle Bader, shogun and Hamill like jones did. It's not even close.
If you read I said likely in mma as well. Because Chael is a lhw and neither is Cormier so it was much more speculative. And yes I think Tito man handled Nader and I think the first three rounds of hendo shogun was more devastating than shogun jones bro Phone Post
1/19/12 12:11 AM
ThePoopWizard

Chael is NOT* Phone Post
1/19/12 12:25 AM
BooZe

NarlyPersianDude -
UGCTT_Harlem -  We are not talking about wrestling matches..... WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IN MMA.

Nobody will manhandle Bader, shogun and Hamill like jones did. It's not even close.

Excellent breakdown, and to me it's tough to say who is the best, I think Jones GSP Chael Cormier Weidman King Mo Hendricks Phil Davis are the best mma wrestlers, what order, not sure, but I think those guys are bigtime ahead of the others.

Interesting debate as well
Correct me if I'm wrong but imo Jon Jones hasn't shown great "wrestling" we've seen great sweeps and overpowering takedowns. But as far as wrestling technique he has'nt displayed anything great besides being bigger and stronger and man handling his opponents. Gsp, chael, rashad,Davis,, & cormier has superior wrestling I think Phone Post
1/19/12 12:25 AM
WhiteMustang
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team Quest, Owner
Best Wrestler in MMA? Well DC is a two time Olympian and World Medalist. Joe Warren is a World Champion. Dan Henderson 2x Olympian.
GSP has great wrestling in MMA but far from the best wrestler! Phone Post
1/19/12 12:29 AM
aaroncev

Cormier is definitely my favorite HW. His hands are sick.
1/19/12 12:33 AM
rsbones
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's see if Cormier can even beat Barnett before you go anointing him best MMA wrestler. Phone Post
1/19/12 12:41 AM
BoondockJOSH
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say top 10 but with some big wins he could be top 3 or 4 Phone Post
1/19/12 12:45 AM
orcus

" No he hasn't. After surviving my butt hurtness Jose Aldo is much more inpressive. Defensive wrestling wise."

You're convinced that Aldo is more impressive with his wrestling defense even though Jones has never been taken down once?
1/19/12 1:11 AM
Koga

Correct me if I'm wrong but imo Jon Jones hasn't shown great "wrestling"

- you stand corrected, Sir
1/19/12 1:38 AM
jaseprobst
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love it when people argue "best wrestling in MMA" but ask that only wrestling credentials be assessed.
1/19/12 1:40 AM
BooZe

Koga - Correct me if I'm wrong but imo Jon Jones hasn't shown great "wrestling"

- you stand corrected, Sir
No I wasn't corrected, please enlighten me? Phone Post
1/19/12 2:02 AM
MMALOGIC

he hasnt fought anybody yet.
1/19/12 2:27 AM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestling in MMA is much different than amateur wrestling, obviously. It's hard to argue against GSP and Jones being the best MMA wrestlers the sport has ever seen, and their amateur careers are unremarkable (Jones) or nonexistent (GSP). Both probably had the talent to be NCAA champions but their paths didn't lead down that road.
1/19/12 2:32 AM
Elias Cepeda
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love watching Cormier fight.

No one mentioning Jones dominating Vladdy, huh?

And I love someone saying that GSP has the most effective takedowns in the sport but also that he isn't the best wrestler in MMA. If not with efficacy, how does one determing "best"?
1/19/12 3:29 AM
Elias Cepeda
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol, nice
1/19/12 3:57 AM
DMC
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's not the best 'MMA wrestler' or the MMA fighter with the best wrestling credentials.

He IS obviously an elite wrestler and athlete and seems to 'get' striking (many wrestlers coming late into the game never do) but he's till far from the finished article IMO.

Cormier should be a force at HW but I don't think he beats Barnett at this point.
1/19/12 4:36 AM
Brabo Ben
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nobody mentioning Ben askren? He's boring as shit to watch but wrestling he smashes the field, it's a toss up between askren, jones, Cormier, phil davis and Hendricks Phone Post
1/19/12 4:50 AM
Leck Brosnar

If we're talking about effective wrestling in MMA, it's either GSP or Jones. Askren is great and all, but he hasn't faced the competition that GSP and Jones have.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.