UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Miller kept secret Mono, infection before loss

1/20/12 9:53 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Late last Summer, tonight's headliner Jim Miller fought and lost a unanimous decision to Ben Henderson, snapping a seven-fight win streak. Bendo went on to get a title shot against champion Frankie Edgar next month in Japan.

In a recent interview on MMAJunkie Radio, Miller revealed that before his last fight, he kept secret the fact that he was suffering from mono and had developed a kidney infection.

"I've never felt like that and hope to never feel like that again, inside or outside the octagon," Miller said.

"I stepped into the octagon, and there was never that tingle, that feeling of adrenaline. So I knew something was off, and I feel I should have adapted to it. I should have fought more conservatively and tried to get dominant positions and not expend so much energy hunting for that finish the whole fight."

"This fight with Melvin is the fight I wanted; it's another guy that was right up there and a tough challenge and very dangerous opponent. I didn't want a gimme win just to get back on the winning ways that sometimes seems to happen. I wanted a tough fight that is going to get me in that title contention.

"And I know that a win here, I still need another one or two to get back up there because there are always guys coming up, and things need to be sorted out. That's the fun part, fighting these guys."

"Hopefully it won't take seven in a row again to start hearing talk about [a title shot]," Miller chuckled.

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

1/20/12 9:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Blazing Knees
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a bad case of mono about 20 yrs ago. I had sores in my throat, lost 20 lbs and was sick for almost a month and half. I think it would kill me now
1/20/12 9:58 AM
lildragonof
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendo still put an awesome performance. Phone Post
1/20/12 10:09 AM
MountainMedic
535 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

had mono in jr high, lost a ton of weight, slept 20 hrs a day, missed like 2 months of school.

feel bad for the guy, but thats not cool to get in the cage with someone when you have an infectious disease. not cool at all.

Picture of the swollen lymph glands associated with infectious mononucleosis

1/20/12 10:18 AM
Eyelasher

Mix6APlix - Jason Miller had 2 broken legs, staph, and diarehha when he fought Bisping.

?
1/20/12 10:24 AM
PanRoastedJinx
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lost a little respect for Miller trying to tarnish Bendo's W..... Phone Post
1/20/12 10:25 AM
Chaz Johnson

Had mono in high school either got it from my little high school sweetie. I was out 63 days half way into it they made me go back the. After realizing I was a hazard they sent me home after an hr each day. Stupid ISD Phone Post
1/20/12 10:26 AM
Authority Figure

"kept secret Mono"

or

"kept Mono a secret"

The first sounds like he is a mad scientist storing viruses in his basement lab. lol
1/20/12 10:28 AM
d o k 64

no offense intended to miller, but i hate when fighters do this.  if you are too ill/physically hampered to compete, you don't compete.  if you decide you are going to fight through it, you fight through it and take your win/loss as it comes to you. 

1/20/12 10:31 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Should be suspended
2. Why bring it up? You come of like a whiner at this point
3. Don't cheapen Bendo's win, you lost, suck it up.

I thought guys from Jersey were tough?
1/20/12 10:32 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you knowingly lie about and INFECTIOUS disease, you should be suspended.

1/20/12 10:34 AM
UGCTT_Zjjitsu705
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This just in, Bendo dies of mono. now whut Miller? 
1/20/12 10:40 AM
PanRoastedJinx
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shahanshah - isn't mono contagious?

wtf?

BENDO CAN WARD OFF ALL INFECTIOUS DISEASE THROUGH CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1/20/12 10:50 AM
Willin
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/12 10:50 AM
Miller wasn't making out with Bendo - relax.

Also, Miller kept it secret until word came out without his intent for it to be revealed. He wouldn't of mentioned it if not for Guillard bringing it up.
1/20/12 10:50 AM
victorpoprock
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ugghhh...

I hate when fighters do this. What happened to the good sportsmanship in mma? It seems like every time a fighter gets embarrassed in the cage due to being dominated by their opponent, they come up with some excuse as to why their performance was so bad.

What happened to "he was the better man that night" or "Im going to work on my mistakes and come back stronger then ever"??

Now all we hear is "I had staph" or "I had the flu" or we get to hear the magical percentage point that Shogun is famous for now days - "That was only a 50% Shogun" or "Shogun was at 38.2% that night" "100% Shogun would have destroyed Jones" blah blah blah....

This shit is getting so lame and disrespectful to the guys who had the performances of their lives on those nights.
1/20/12 10:52 AM
MountainMedic
535 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

once infected w/mono, a persons saliva can transmit it for the rest of their life. its a nasty disease.

1/20/12 10:57 AM
ChrisVillain

victorpoprock - Ugghhh...

I hate when fighters do this. What happened to the good sportsmanship in mma? It seems like every time a fighter gets embarrassed in the cage due to being dominated by their opponent, they come up with some excuse as to why their performance was so bad.

What happened to "he was the better man that night" or "Im going to work on my mistakes and come back stronger then ever"??

Now all we hear is "I had staph" or "I had the flu" or we get to hear the magical percentage point that Shogun is famous for now days - "That was only a 50% Shogun" or "Shogun was at 38.2% that night" "100% Shogun would have destroyed Jones" blah blah blah....

This shit is getting so lame and disrespectful to the guys who had the performances of their lives on those nights.

If the fighters aren't at 100 then they aren't. The problem is that some of these fighters can't afford to not participate in the fight because they need the payday after paying for all the training etc. Lots of fighters go into fights with nagging injuries and infections etc that negatively affect their performance. Shogun will probably never be 100% again, but 75+% shogun is still the 2nd best fighter in his division.
1/20/12 10:58 AM
Gondul
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PanRoastedJinx - Lost a little respect for Miller trying to tarnish Bendo's W..... Phone Post
I would have if he said something right away. I think he waited long enough to bring it up. Phone Post
1/20/12 10:58 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you guys are such little drama queers...first of all, if he "wanted to make excuses" he would have done so right after the fight like Rampage and Tito do...

2nd, there's a lot riding on fights and thus, fighters take fights regardless of "not being 100%"

damn, son...
1/20/12 10:59 AM
SlapUsilly
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Infections Mononucleosis or Glandular fever is a condition caused by the EpsteinBahr virus. It is estimated that about 98% of the us population already has the virus in them.

I had it when i was 4.. it almost killed me..

Its stupid for Miller to fight with Mono and then use it as an excuse.
1/20/12 11:05 AM
1800champagne

ArthurKnoqOut - you guys are such little drama queers...first of all, if he "wanted to make excuses" he would have done so right after the fight like Rampage and Tito do...

2nd, there's a lot riding on fights and thus, fighters take fights regardless of "not being 100%"

damn, son...
Word Phone Post
1/20/12 11:12 AM
Bobby Lupo
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had it for like 40 days, lost 30lbs and was as weak as a corpse. can't believe he fought with mono.
1/20/12 11:16 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

12SixElbow -  If you knowingly lie about and INFECTIOUS disease, you should be suspended.

If not kicked out all together.

Outrageous actions by miller Phone Post
1/20/12 11:20 AM
KC007

PanRoastedJinx -
Shahanshah - isn't mono contagious?

wtf?

BENDO CAN WARD OFF ALL INFECTIOUS DISEASE THROUGH CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that's funny. Phone Post
1/20/12 11:24 AM
OftheWay

If he truly had Mono adrenaline must have taken over because he fought well despite the loss. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.