UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> What are your goals?

1/20/12 1:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jfmx345
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why are you prepping and what do you ultimately hope to accomplish?

Survive a shtf disaster, move toward off grid living, etc...

Our goals are to raise upwards of 70% of our food,(grown food, not including hunted meat)
Move towards being as self-sufficient as possible. I don't see 100% off-grid living being possible in our current situation, but we would like to get as close as possible.

We are mainly doing this to live a simpler life with a secondary benefit of preparing for world changes that could be brought on by man-made or natural disasters.
1/20/12 1:30 PM
Kamikaze Emu
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're starting small now with our home in the city, and looking to get a larger piece of land in 5 to 10 years.

Right now we are focusing on:

- Buying local, organic produce grown in a sustainable fashion.
- Buying local, organic meet raised in a ethical way
- Growing our own veggies and herbs
- Reducing our consumption (energy, material goods, etc)
- Walking/biking instead of always taking the car

We're pretty good on the veg/meat portions, need more work on the consumption and walk/bike but we're getting there.

Looking down the to when we have our land we'd be looking at passive/active solar, wind energy, small animals, and more growing of veggies.
1/29/12 9:29 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm generally interested in learning to be more self sufficient to save money, enjoy the culinary benefits of fresh fruit/vegetables/meat, get away from the city life and increase my disaster preparedness.

I'm working on:

* Growing an even greater portion of my vegetables.

* Growing fruits (I planted 4 trees)

* Moving to permaculture as I buy seeds now

* Increasing the energy efficiency of my house

* Harvesting rainwater

1/30/12 9:23 AM
simthefarmer

living in the middle of the city in a small appartment i have no choice but to take it slow

Here are my first goal:

-Have enough food stored on hand for a few days (achieved, i have enough canned and dried stuff for a few weeks)
-in 97 a bad ice storm caused major power outage that cut off electricity for a few days and up to a couple of weeks in some areas around here. I want to be able to function without electricity for a few days. I think i am good with the camping equipement i have. I have enough fuel for my camp stove for over a week.
-grow more of my food myself to diminish the effect of raising food prices on me: i got a lot at a community garden (10'x20') and grew some stuff in pots on my balcony, i am moving to another appartment in May with a small backyard wich will help.

Next goals:
-Buy land
-Slowly start building on said land.
1/30/12 9:32 AM
simthefarmer

i would also like to have some chickens or something but it's illegal to have them in my city.
1/31/12 2:08 AM
gatorgar
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My short term goals for this year are to improve my vegetable gardening output. In years past, I've only done small gardening projects like tomatos and peppers (I even raised a couple of stalks of corn in big garden pots), but this year I'm stepping up to square foot gardening in my side yard. I think this will be a higher yeilding way to garden on my small property than a traditional row garden. I'm also hoping to build a chicken tractor pretty soon, to raise chickens for eggs mainly, with some used for meat also.

If all goes well with those two projects, I think towards the fall of the year, I will start collecting the things necessary for a small, two to four hive apiary. I think I have my wife talked into the bees, but I want to study more on them before I jump in. I may also try my hand at goats or pigs next year too, assuming all else goes well.

My wife's family owns a little over a thousand acres of land in a rural county about an hour north of us, and I've talked to my father in law about the idea of building a cabin or camp on the property once we become more self sufficient. He's all for the idea, and I hope we can go walk some of the property in the next month or so to try and pick out a good build site.

Not to stroke anyone's ego on here, but this subforum has been invaluable as I start towards a more self sufficient lifestyle, and I want to say thanks to KVR and the rest of you guys for inspiring me.

I almost forgot to add, as storm preperation/SHTF scenario prep, I've accumulated about 10-12 cases (not meals, but cases. 16 meals to a box) of MRE's for free. They have been giving them to us to pass out while working tornado relief for the past week, but no one I've offered them to wants them, so I've been slowly adding to the stockpile.
2/7/12 3:10 PM
TheHouse
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gatorgar - My short term goals for this year are to improve my vegetable gardening output. In years past, I've only done small gardening projects like tomatos and peppers (I even raised a couple of stalks of corn in big garden pots), but this year I'm stepping up to square foot gardening in my side yard. I think this will be a higher yeilding way to garden on my small property than a traditional row garden. I'm also hoping to build a chicken tractor pretty soon, to raise chickens for eggs mainly, with some used for meat also.

If all goes well with those two projects, I think towards the fall of the year, I will start collecting the things necessary for a small, two to four hive apiary. I think I have my wife talked into the bees, but I want to study more on them before I jump in. I may also try my hand at goats or pigs next year too, assuming all else goes well.

My wife's family owns a little over a thousand acres of land in a rural county about an hour north of us, and I've talked to my father in law about the idea of building a cabin or camp on the property once we become more self sufficient. He's all for the idea, and I hope we can go walk some of the property in the next month or so to try and pick out a good build site.

Not to stroke anyone's ego on here, but this subforum has been invaluable as I start towards a more self sufficient lifestyle, and I want to say thanks to KVR and the rest of you guys for inspiring me.

I almost forgot to add, as storm preperation/SHTF scenario prep, I've accumulated about 10-12 cases (not meals, but cases. 16 meals to a box) of MRE's for free. They have been giving them to us to pass out while working tornado relief for the past week, but no one I've offered them to wants them, so I've been slowly adding to the stockpile.

I would be glad to help you get rid of some of them. Just did an inventory of my equipment/gear/supplies and mine are from '08 so I think it's time I rotate them out/use them on a camping trip or something. I like to keep them within 2 years usually.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.