UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Report: UFC Gun sponsors banned on FOX broadcasts

1/22/12 9:10 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Zombie Cage Fighter

I find it interesting that the comparison is always made between basketball players and football players saying that they aren't allowed to pepper their jerseys with logos.
A pro football player plays where? The NFL.

A pro basketball player in the USA plays where? The NBA.

Where do pro fighters fight at? Any league that will have them as they strive to make it to the big show. Many pros fight for $500. Even once in one of the big shows, the money earned is not a living wage. Many have to work weekends bouncing and bartending.

Now what is the minimum wage for an NBA or NFL player? The rookie minimum wage in the NBA last season was over $473,000.

Do they need the Gun Store logo on their shorts. Probably not. And let's look at their expenses. They have an agent. To my knowledge, that's about it unless they choose to have other trainers at their own cost.

An MMA fighter has an agent that he pays, a team he fights for that he trains at, that he pays, if he's good and has the money he has a muay thai coach, a Jits coach, a strength and conditioning coach, a diet coach and someone to help him cut weight.
And if he just made it to the big shows he MAY make 30k for the year. Minus 20% for management and training at least then a third for taxes and you're sitting at about 16k to live on for the entire year.
Sponsors have always been a huge source of income for fighters. I can't tell you how many times a sponsor showed up at just the right time and gave me food money. Literally.

When I fought Pete Sell the second time I was sponsored by Toyo tires. For two fights I had their logo on my shorts. For what? A set of tires. That would be about $800. $400 for two fights on primetime that have been shown over and over. Why did I do it? Because I was driving around on my spare and one other tire was filled with fix a flat. The belts were showing on the other tires.

You want to see the best a fighter can be? Buy his gear. Support the brands that sponsor him and send the companies emails letting them know you're buying their protein because they're sponsoring someone.

What's that you say? If you don't like it then quit? I do like it. In fact, I love it. That's why I lived in my buddies basement 2 nights a week to save on gas money. And I rode with other friends to practice to save on gas money. And I packed a lunch to practice. And I only wore clothes sponsors and other more successful fighters would give me. And I'd do it all over again.

If you got into fighting to be rich, you chose the wrong sport. Do it for the love and if you get rich that's a nice bonus.

But having those sponsors can sure make the ride easier.

My two cents.

1/22/12 9:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ortman166
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's dumb. Phone Post
1/22/12 9:48 AM
Zamiel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is dumb, but I guess it's smart business to avoid politically divisive stuff. I doubt the kinds of people to buy the PPVs would get too hot and bothered, and wonder if it's necessary on FOX-family shows as well...but they're just acting on information to make the most money, I'd bet.
1/22/12 10:06 AM
LayNprayNINJA

Kind of ironic that FOX would be "anti-violence".....while airing a combat sport. I do see the point and understand it though.
1/22/12 10:24 AM
J_Swift

That's a bunch of bullshit. But I guess Foobs gonna foob. Phone Post
1/22/12 10:25 AM
J_Swift

J_Swift - That's a bunch of bullshit. But I guess Foobs gonna foob. Phone Post
Oh and FOX will air Family guy with a baby shooting guns and wanting to kill his mom. But, grown men who fight for a living can't be sponsored by firearm industry businesses? Phone Post
1/22/12 10:40 AM
jaytrainwreck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Facepalm Phone Post
1/22/12 10:40 AM
Brigham
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More money out of the fighters pockets Phone Post
1/22/12 10:53 AM
WRESTLENOW

Fox this is the network with endless military commercials, but gun commercials are deemed too violent, LOL.
1/22/12 11:28 AM
Jack Skellington
829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's fine

just a small request
1/22/12 11:31 AM
Shane Carwin
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this

http://ingrainedmedia.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/absolutely-no-firearms-ammo-hunting-or-knife-companies-will-be-permitted-as-sponsors-in-any-zuffa-promoted-events/
1/22/12 11:36 AM
yabadaba
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shane Carwin - this

http://ingrainedmedia.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/absolutely-no-firearms-ammo-hunting-or-knife-companies-will-be-permitted-as-sponsors-in-any-zuffa-promoted-events/
1/22/12 11:37 AM
inf0
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hard to believe that going with FOX has cleaned up this trashy sport even a little.

1/22/12 11:42 AM
bram
1281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Business is business Phone Post
1/22/12 11:47 AM
businessbhoy

Here's hoping they also ban this ridiculous affiliation with "The Forces"
1/22/12 11:58 AM
The Patriot

Pussification continues is right.
1/22/12 12:03 PM
Danger Dave
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quick, tell the NRA - Fox network is anti-gun!

Seriously - I am absolutely shocked that this came from Fox.
1/22/12 12:14 PM
jaytrainwreck

captain_underwear - pussification my ass, you fucking so-called 'patriots' are about the worst element of America

in the 1930's German Nazis were called patriots too, you fucking windbag.
Supporting 2nd Amendment= Nazi ???????? Phone Post
1/22/12 12:15 PM
FadeToBlack

Good call by FOX and the UFC. It's good to be conscientious of how that represents the sport to the public. Phone Post
1/22/12 12:34 PM
The Patriot

Edited: 01/22/12 12:47 PM
Good call by Fox my ass. I'm boycotting it and will do my best to tell people where I'm from to do the same.

Look at what is going on in places like Syria.

Unarmed civilians are being gunned down by a tyrannical governments. Those "guns" preserve your freedom. Just STFU and go watch your dumb ass reality TV shows.
1/22/12 12:43 PM
FadeToBlack

The Patriot, any point you tried to make got overshadowed by the name-calling. Now you just come off looking unintelligent. Phone Post
1/22/12 12:46 PM
Shane Carwin
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The funny thing about the G4u ban they mention in the OP, is G4U does not compete with Xynergy. I have not tried Xyience Xynergy but I assume it is an energy drink. Good4U was advertising their isotonic water line. Essentially water with added nutrients. One helps you d-stress another is for help with appetite suppression etc. They are functional beverages and do something totally different then Xyience.

I am thankful that I have sponsors like G4U who go beyond the UFC logo program. They have not wavered in their support of me. I continue to be their brand spokesman and I am proud to have them. Their drinks are Good4U and as a company they are Good2Me.
1/22/12 12:47 PM
robnashville

"PGA do not permit athletes to cover their uniforms with sponsor patches at all."

The PGA doesn't allow golfers to wear sponsors..... ok, whatever......

1/22/12 12:57 PM
Hessian
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can borrow money from the Arabs to stay floating but no guns?

Sounds so very Anti-American.

Gun Shop one was of the only sponsors I liked.

In a decade all Zuffa fighters will have no management , will train at UFC only gyms and there will only be sponsors that pay out to Zuffa.
1/22/12 12:57 PM
Zamiel

captain_underwear - pussification my ass, you fucking so-called 'patriots' are about the worst element of America

in the 1930's German Nazis were called patriots too, you fucking windbag.

Tom Brady's 2011-12 AFC title favorite are called patriots too, what's your point?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.