UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> sambo questions

1/23/12 12:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jimmyok
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Were there attempts to make sambo a demonstration sport for the 1980 Moscow Olympics? If so, why didn't it happen?

Also, hasn't sambo been in & out of FILA a couple of times? Why has that happened?

Just curious, and Googling hasn't produced any clear answers.
1/23/12 9:39 PM
cruedi
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try Contacting Scott Anderson: sasombo@msn.com

He knows more about sombo than anyone in the US.

1/24/12 11:50 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scott Anderson... I have yet to hear that name... which makes me think you are seriously in error about whom the man should contact...

Right here on this site you have Sambo Steve and Dynamo.. two guys who regularly go to Russia and are extremely good friends with some of the top Sambo people in world. I, for some strange reason, think they would be the people to ask.
1/25/12 10:02 AM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sambo was not a Demo Sport a the Moscow Olympics. The only reference I can remember saying that it was going to be was an article in Blackbelt Magazine in 1978. It is a mystery to why it wasn't.

Currently there is a big push in Russia and the former Soviet Republics for its inclusion. I don't thing they have a snowballs chance in hell.

As for FILA they have mishandled Sambo to the point of absurdity. I think they first adopted it in 1968 as the third official wrestling style. I don,t recall when they dropped it but they picked it up again a few years back and then dropped it again. As of right know the governing for Sambo is FIAS.

BTW Scott Anderson is a very knowledgeable sambo historian but he's very humble about it.
1/26/12 9:50 AM
russkisambist
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In 1980 Soviet Union transfered their right to introduce a national sport in Olympics to India.... Political "Big Brother" gesture.They chose either field hockey or criket I don't recall....
1/26/12 9:54 AM
russkisambist
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In regard to being in and out of FILA.... Sambo (not SOMBO!!!!!!!) guys wanted to be independent. All LEGIT Sambo guys are gathered under SAMBO banner not sOmbo. Get real and join the real movement. I feel bad for sombo dudes, they are misled and lost. My $.02
1/27/12 12:55 AM
jimmyok
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Related: I got an e-mail that there's a sambo clinic in February at Universal Judo in San Antonio, but I didn't see anything about it at Universaljudo.com.

For those in or near Texas, it may be worth further inquiry.
2/1/12 4:02 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dynamo.. thank you for the edification. =)
2/2/12 10:03 AM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No problem Josh--thanks for the props:)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.