UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> help me find a team to support

1/24/12 6:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
1st Round Armbar
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I was just in the US on 2 weeks vacation and basketball was playing in most of the pubs and I really started to get into it. I'm from the UK and we don't really get much of it on here.

anyway sports are way better when you have a team to support, when I was over I spent most of the time in LA and mammoth with my cousin who is a Lakers fan and have been following the Lakers' results recently so they are probably my favourite team right now but I kinda feel a bit shit picking the most famous team in the league and starting to support them

I don't know much about the players unless they're Kobe, LeBron, CP etc.. or acted in the movie Space Jam 15 years ago haha

Who should I go for?
1/25/12 4:59 AM
memory blues
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lakeshow all the way. The greatest franchise in basketball. Perfect time for fans to hop on the bandwagon.
1/25/12 3:53 PM
dangerboy12
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd go with the Lakers since you have already been watching them. Over time, you will find other teams you like.
1/25/12 3:54 PM
dangerboy12
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

also, with the Olympics coming, expect basketball to become very popular very quickly. Basketball has had a history of starting a grassroots movement in host countries.
1/25/12 4:12 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheer for your countryman luol deng and the bulls! he's injured right now though and will probably be out a few weeks. :(
1/25/12 8:42 PM
1st Round Armbar
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the input, I'll probably follow the Lakers mostly for now and I'll naturally learn more about the other teams the more I watch.

hopping on the bandwagon is what I'm afraid of memory blues, no one wants to be the bandwagon hopper right?

nice, hopefully a little local league'll start up if the game gets popular enough

I'll check out the Bulls! I believe he's English though, I'm Welsh so I probably won't support him haha
1/26/12 2:34 PM
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the fair weather fans are jumping off the Lakers bandwagon right now. So it's not a bad time to support them.

Plus you're more likely to get their games on TV over there I would think. As opposed to teams like Oklahoma City and Houston.
1/26/12 10:29 PM
PTM2020
1260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/27/12 6:58 PM
1st Round Armbar

Sounds good, gonna provisionally be a Lakers fan but I'm not a team jumper so I'm giving myself a bit of time before commiting for ever haha

I'm a Manchester United fan in the EPL Soccer and they kind of compare to Lakers imo

Man U = Lakers - Biggest name + most succesful team in the last 10-20 years

Liverpool = Celtics - Incredibly dominant 40 years ago and still clinging on to that glory

Man City or Chelsea = Heat - Have more money than anyone and try to flat out buy titles

I don't know enough about the other NBA teams to draw comparisons and even these are probably way off
1/27/12 8:09 PM
Tommy Gunnz
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1st Round Armbar - Sounds good, gonna provisionally be a Lakers fan but I'm not a team jumper so I'm giving myself a bit of time before commiting for ever haha

I'm a Manchester United fan in the EPL Soccer and they kind of compare to Lakers imo

Man U = Lakers - Biggest name + most succesful team in the last 10-20 years

Liverpool = Celtics - Incredibly dominant 40 years ago and still clinging on to that glory

Man City or Chelsea = Heat - Have more money than anyone and try to flat out buy titles

I don't know enough about the other NBA teams to draw comparisons and even these are probably way off

tell me more about soccer haha Some of my friends began really getting into "futbol" but they are Manchester United fans and like you I feel it would be really gay to get into a sport and pick the best team as "my team" lol Is the English premiere league the only good league to follow? I would prefer an Italian team if possible

and since you asked, what about the Knicks? they have been HORRIBLE for a decade but were awesome the decade before that, have a couple good players but are really underachieving so noone can say you jumped on the bandwagon but they have potential to be pretty decent in the near future
1/27/12 9:23 PM
1st Round Armbar

England and Spain are the 2 strongest leaques at the moment with Italy a close third

of the Italian teams the top 3 are Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan.
Then followed by Lazio, Napoli and my personal favourites Roma.
the top 3 are always around the top of the league whilst the next 3 can challenge on a good season but be mid table a few seasons later.
also if you plan a holiday to Italy you may want check out Fiorentina(Florence) or Venezia(Venice). Fiore was a pretty strong team a few years back but they went bankrupt and had to start over from the bottom division

In Spain you basically have 2 teams Real Madrid v Barcelona they are by far the top 2 teams in Spain and at the moment the top 2 teams in Europe and the World.
This Barca team is arguably the greatest club side of all time.

England is considered the most popular league because the game is faster and more physical than on the continent where the tempo is slower are more tactical.

Man United and Liverpool are very similar to Lakers and Celtics.

Chelsea got bought by a Russian billionaire about 10 years ago and spent millions to create a title winning team and were successful but now Man City have been bought out by some arab oil owner that has basically infinite money and now trump them in the transfer market. the guy bankrolls the club and last year they had a loss of about $300million which would probably send any other club into bankrupcy but he just picks up the tab

Spurs and Arsenal are 2 teams I'd recommend you look into, both have good young squads and always have the potential to win trophies without being an obvious glory hunting choice, they are also fierce rivals. Newcastle a good choice too. it's hard to see any other teams realistically challenging for a title, they might get lucky and win a minor cup at best.

sorry for the post getting a bit long and thank you I will check out the knicks
1/28/12 8:01 PM
dangerboy12

cheer for Everton tommy. They have Landon Donovan and he is actually playing well and is an important part of their team. They aren't the best team, but they aren't the worst either.
1/29/12 2:05 PM
Tommy Gunnz
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My main thing would be to be able to actually see the team play on tv and it seems like its only the English or top Spain teams that are ever on television. Roma was actually my first choice before you wrote anything, but not based on anything other than I really like Rome (I have been to Italy twice and in probably 12-15 cities) since you said they are good team but not great I think I have my team but hopefully can catch them on tv! The English, Spanish and Italian league champs all play each other at the end of the year right?
1/29/12 7:02 PM
1st Round Armbar

They have a European Champions League, the top 4 teams in England, Spain and Italy, The top 2 or 3 in France, Germany etc. and one from the smaller nations like Denmark and Romania.
(Not exactly sure on the numbers, they change every once in a while depending on how the teams of that country has performed)

anyway the top 32 teams in europe play a tournament that runs throught out the season at the same time as the domestic league. 8 Groups of 4 with the top 2 going on to the last 16 then it's a straight up playoff.

they play each other home and away in the last 16 up to the semi final then the final is a one off game on neutral ground.

Last year Barca beat Man United in the final

Just checked up Roma got to the last 16 last year and got knocked out by Shaktar Donetsk of Ukraine

Since they finished 6th in the Italian league last year they failed to qualify for this season's Champions League, but qualified instead for the Europa League which is a similar competition but it's for the teams who didn't quite make it into Champions League, it's like a second tier of European competition

anyway Roma are already out as they lost in a qualifying match to Slovan Bratislava
2/1/12 11:04 AM
phdinmma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PTM2020 -  

if they can get Howard, the Heat will see them in the finals
2/1/12 6:01 PM
saucylv33
857 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/2/12 5:50 PM
1st Round Armbar

Clippers are definately a viable option, Clippers v Heat was one the games I watched when I was over there, Blake and Chris Paul are both pretty awesome.

Are they a decent pick long term though? or will Paul and Griffin ditch them at the end of their contract or when a big team comes calling.

I'm still not a 100% on how the wage cap and trading works btw.

In soccer there's no wage cap and trades are usually player for money instead of player for player/s so it's a totally new system for me.
A hard wage cap I could easily understand but it seems everyone is 20-30 mill over the cap because of the loopholes or caveats or whatever in the rules

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.