UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> 5/3/1 is awesome

3/20/13 11:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I'll do the one for mass. He also talks about just doing the BBB for size and I might do that. I'll add in some singles in there also. I seem to do better when I get heavier weights in my hands. Phone Post
3/22/13 2:50 PM
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just broke 300 on the Squats. I surmised that I could handle it, since my est. 1rm is around 330 and I can DL 375 for 1r. Anyways, did 3 reps and felt pretty damn good.

4th month on wendler's, and ONLY good things to say. Phone Post
3/22/13 5:09 PM
Nick Diaz is the KingGoAT
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub, must leatn more Phone Post
3/22/13 8:03 PM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just started a 5/3/1 cycle myself. Forgot how awesomely simple it is.
3/22/13 10:02 PM
knockabout

stayrad-
it's ok to start light, you'll progress for a longer period of time w/out having to reset.
4/1/13 5:45 AM
MixedMartialArse
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I made the switch from SS to 5/3/1 today so in! Phone Post
4/1/13 10:31 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you will like it.
4/2/13 2:33 AM
MixedMartialArse
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't dig the first Deadlift day! Going from a handful of sets on SS including warm-up to 16 on BBB was intense even with reduced weight! Phone Post
4/2/13 6:08 AM
spidermanik
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Imo if doing bbb deadlift day will be the toughest, 10 reps even at medium weight is tough on the body Phone Post
4/2/13 10:21 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/02/13 10:29 AM
When I was doing BBB, on dead lift day I would do squats for assistance.

For squats I would do dead lift, same on o/h/press and bench.
4/5/13 9:11 PM
meco24
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
4/5/13 10:39 PM
CMX
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hit 245 on bench yesterday after 2 months on 5/3/1 not much weight i know but i have never been able to break 225 so I am happy to finally get past that , I tried 255 and bringing it down didnt seem bad but about halfway up the bar was done moving lol Phone Post
4/6/13 11:50 PM
MixedMartialArse

Anyone got any advice for assistance exercises using only a squat rack, flat bench and Olympic bar? I do have a kettlebell but that's my kit. I'm currently looking for a dip and chin station.

The only one I am happy with is bent over rows on bench day.

BBB template so one exercise is always 5x10 of the main lift. Phone Post
4/7/13 12:27 AM
banco

If you're doing BBB you probably don't need much extra in the way of assistance work but here's some ideas:

hamstraings/lower back: good mornings, romanian deadlifts
traps: power shrugs/high pulls
triceps: jm presses
quads:front squats, lunges
abs: weighted situps, planks
4/7/13 2:47 AM
MixedMartialArse

Thanks mate. Not so much after extras but at the moment there is some recommended assistance that I can't do (chins, dips, hanging leg raises). Effectively looking for something I can do in their place with the equipment I have. Phone Post
4/7/13 12:54 PM
JamesDean57

Inverted rows, Ab wheel outs from the knees if you can't do them standing.
4/7/13 5:26 PM
waxwing slain
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArse - Anyone got any advice for assistance exercises using only a squat rack, flat bench and Olympic bar? I do have a kettlebell but that's my kit. I'm currently looking for a dip and chin station.

The only one I am happy with is bent over rows on bench day.

BBB template so one exercise is always 5x10 of the main lift. Phone Post
My set up similar to yours except I bought some DB handles to be able to add some variety.

One killer pulling exercise you can do with the Oly bar is the Barbell one arm row. Anchor the bar in a corner (maybe use a towel or something if you are worried about tearing up the wall) and row like hell.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/a_monstrous_back_the_mountain_dog_way. Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 10:01 PM
felix1985

TTT.

Started back up on 5/3/1. Time to set some new PRs. Phone Post
4/17/13 1:25 AM
CMX
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hit 385 on deads tonight, felt a pop in my lower ribs while lowering the weight, a little sore now and hoping its not bad tomorrow Phone Post
4/19/13 4:14 PM
shadallion
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JamesDean57 - When I was doing BBB, on dead lift day I would do squats for assistance.

This is Wendler's hypertrophy 3-month program.

I liked it way more than doing 5-3-1 on the lift and then the horrible 5 x 10 of the same lift. That was Boring indeed.

And honestly I felt that I need to do a lift twice a week to get stronger, not just once.

4/19/13 4:22 PM
JamesDean57

shadallion - 
JamesDean57 - When I was doing BBB, on dead lift day I would do squats for assistance.

This is Wendler's hypertrophy 3-month program.

I liked it way more than doing 5-3-1 on the lift and then the horrible 5 x 10 of the same lift. That was Boring indeed.

And honestly I felt that I need to do a lift twice a week to get stronger, not just once.

Yeah that's the way I felt, doing it that way kept me from getting burnt out.
4/19/13 10:08 PM
MixedMartialArse

Deload week next week after my first 5/3/1 cycle. Set JEFIT estimated 1rm prs for all lifts except shoulder press but I know why I missed so not too bothered. Some people would suggest I continue with SS at my level but when also doing compulsory conditioning work at work that just stopped being sustainable.

I am going to reup my milk to 2lt a day because I am not gaining weight on 1lt.

I intend on continuing BBB but I think I might need to tweak some exercises. Out of curiousity does anyone else find 5x10 squats even at a reduced weight rough on the knees? Phone Post
5/9/13 7:17 AM
MixedMartialArse

How long are you guys resting between work sets? Phone Post
5/9/13 9:27 AM
JamesDean57

MixedMartialArse -  How long are you guys resting between work sets? Phone Post

From 2 to 5 minuets, it's really just how I feel on that day.
5/15/13 8:40 AM
jkd_guy
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone do the BBB Challenge?
which is (for the 10s):
month 1 - 50% (which is the normal amount)
month 2 - 60%
month 3 - 70%

Im doing month 2 and Im having some trouble with the 10s. Do I go onto 70% when Im done, or re-do the 60% ?

For example, I did:
X lbs - 10, 10, 9, 8, 6

I have no problems with the 5/3/1 reps, hitting those.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.