UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> 5/3/1 is awesome

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/2/12 1:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This program is meant for people who are already decently strong. I am going to do starting strength again to re gain my squat because I had knee issues for awhile. I will definitely be trying this in the future though. Phone Post
2/2/12 2:00 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wendler says anyone will benefit from it at any level. I think the main knock against it for lower level lifters was not that it wouldn't work, but that other programs would give much faster gains for someone who wasn't already a good ways up there.
2/2/12 2:54 PM
mkou

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

Stumbled across this while reading about 5/3/1. I'm quite a beginner, did SS for a bit over 6 months but squatting three times a week heavy was a bit too much at the end when the weight started to get heavier. Switched over to 5/3/1 but I think this would suit me better since I'm quite a beginner after all. Any thoughts?
2/2/12 8:09 PM
Ninjaplata
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never did back squats, deadlifts, bench, or OHP with any regularity before starting 5/3/1. I like it so much and find it so effective because of how light all my sets feel. I just took my time with it and worked on finding good form.

I feel that those reasons are why it's better for beginners. Also, under-training is better than over-training. If you do other strenuous activities squatting 3x a week seems crazy!
2/2/12 9:00 PM
LeftBench
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love 5/3/1 did it for 3 months and had great results. Just bought the 2nd edition book and plan on restarting the program soon.
2/2/12 9:34 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't imagine squatting 3x a week...maybe when I was 18 but not in my 30s. Once a week works well for me. Phone Post
2/2/12 10:14 PM
Mudderfaeg
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can someone explain to me the science behind 5/3/1? I've been doing the 28 method and I'm loving it. Phone Post
2/3/12 12:04 AM
MarkRobinson
1549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subd
2/3/12 9:18 AM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My threads Phone Post
2/3/12 11:04 AM
slapnuts01

I haven't read the book just article on tnation for percentages. If I am understanding it correctly I would only do one lift per week? Say I wanted to do bench and ohp in one day and squats and dl another. Would I be making less progress doing a lift 2 times a week as opposed to just once?

Once a week doesn't seem like it would be enough with percentages used. Though it would be convenient.
2/3/12 11:09 AM
Ninjaplata
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't follow the days as the spreadsheet I use has them, I just make sure I do all the lifts within the week.
2/3/12 12:23 PM
Ranger375

there is also an online calculator and includes the different workout types:

http://www.blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator
2/5/12 10:01 PM
JSORTLT

Edited: 02/05/12 10:04 PM
I Agree 531 is the best common sense program I have used in 47 years. I have been using the two day training program along with grappling about 2-3 times a week. I combine this with a Training for Warriors Philosphy. I do Legs on Tuesday and and Upper body on weekend (Sat) and just rotate the main 531 exercises and assitance exercise. Very good program. I'm going to put my son who is a wrestler on it this off season to gain some strength and muscle.
2/6/12 12:04 AM
ravenman2000
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slapnuts01 - I haven't read the book just article on tnation for percentages. If I am understanding it correctly I would only do one lift per week? Say I wanted to do bench and ohp in one day and squats and dl another. Would I be making less progress doing a lift 2 times a week as opposed to just once?

Once a week doesn't seem like it would be enough with percentages used. Though it would be convenient.

You should read the book.  You actually have a chance to go for a personal record every single workout; on the last set, you get to go 1-2 reps short of failure with your heaviest weight on the 5/3/1 exercise.  Then don't forget that you are doing 3 exercises every workout, not just one, and that the second and third exercises are each done five sets of ten reps.
2/6/12 3:26 PM
MarsMan
745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

later
2/7/12 5:13 AM
6mildollarman
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed Phone Post
2/9/12 6:12 AM
NeoSpartan
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ranger375 - 

Mod's please delete this cheating ass bullshit and make people google their own results because clearly this online calculator is just fucking cheating.

jk, but in all seriousness fuck that guys awesome calculator because it shits on my excel spreadsheet lol.
2/10/12 9:08 PM
reagan123
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thinking about running this program in a bit... looks like something I need. :)
2/10/12 9:30 PM
Sir Lawrence

Great Program been doing it for 6 months now. I have a herniated disk in my neck and i thought i would never be able to squat or deadlift again with any significant weight. But because you are able to increase the weight very gradually with low percentages of 90% of your 1RM I've been able to keep adding weight with no problems. Its not a lot for my weight (215) but squatting 300 now.
2/12/12 4:29 PM
molsonman
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ranger375 - 

This calculator kicks ass. Plans out an entire month of training.
2/12/12 5:45 PM
Ninjaplata

The spreadsheet that i posted calculates everything for you as well, and plans for like a year.
2/13/12 10:12 PM
sienk

Sub'd Phone Post
2/14/12 12:49 AM
tjmitchiscool
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice Phone Post
2/14/12 1:00 PM
felix1985

In Phone Post
2/14/12 5:18 PM
sienk

Marve1 - I do the 4 day program using the boring but big template.
Starting it tomorrow. Pretty stoked Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.