Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
felix1985
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
2/14/12 5:18 PM
sienk

Marve1 - I do the 4 day program using the boring but big template.
Starting it tomorrow. Pretty stoked Phone Post
2/14/12 8:49 PM
felix1985

I'm just curious as to what the guys who know this program well can tell me. I just recently ordered the 5/3/1 2nd edition book. I'm getting ready to get back in the gym after the longest layoff I've had (8 months) since I started lifting 10 years ago. I have Rippetoe's starting strength and have used that program successfully in the past, but I'm wondering which program would be better for me coming off this layoff. I'm leaning toward SS until I get my numbers back up to a decent level and work most of the soreness out. What say you?
2/14/12 8:56 PM
reagan123
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

felix1985 - I'm just curious as to what the guys who know this program well can tell me. I just recently ordered the 5/3/1 2nd edition book. I'm getting ready to get back in the gym after the longest layoff I've had (8 months) since I started lifting 10 years ago. I have Rippetoe's starting strength and have used that program successfully in the past, but I'm wondering which program would be better for me coming off this layoff. I'm leaning toward SS until I get my numbers back up to a decent level and work most of the soreness out. What say you?
Curious to hear what others think on this one... Phone Post
2/15/12 10:43 AM
jeremy hamilton
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

felix1985 - I'm just curious as to what the guys who know this program well can tell me. I just recently ordered the 5/3/1 2nd edition book. I'm getting ready to get back in the gym after the longest layoff I've had (8 months) since I started lifting 10 years ago. I have Rippetoe's starting strength and have used that program successfully in the past, but I'm wondering which program would be better for me coming off this layoff. I'm leaning toward SS until I get my numbers back up to a decent level and work most of the soreness out. What say you?

Yes, if you have had a bunch of time off then linear is the way to go for now. You will be able to add 5-10lbs a week probably for a while, when that stops working then switch over to 531.
2/15/12 8:01 PM
felix1985

Fair enough. Thanks.
2/17/12 5:20 PM
OctagonSoldier
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tap
2/18/12 12:04 PM
felix1985

Well, my 5/3/1 book showed up yesterday and I read it this morning. I'm pretty impressed with the material. Everything was pretty sensical. I'm not so sure of the DC/531 fusion routine but whatever. The one thing i'm surprised about is that I figured Wendler would make more mention of neck training.
2/21/12 12:00 AM
acm5060

Ninjaplata - so what's your 2 day splits look like? Squat, bench, assistance on Day 1 and press, deadlift, assistance work on Day 2?

How much assistance work do you do (sets and reps)?

I just started the program. Phone Post
2/23/12 3:27 PM
Ninjaplata
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

acm5060 - I dont always do a 2day split, I just make sure I do all the lifts once a week.

But when I do, it looks something like this:

day 1 - squat, deadlift, barbell lunges (extremely light 3x5-8)

day 2 - bench, DB row 3x8-10, OHP, weighted chins 5x5

3/1/12 3:46 PM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Inspired by this topic i started with 5/3/1 this week. Four days a week (monday-tuesday-thursday-friday. In two months i will post the results i got.
3/1/12 4:36 PM
SirPrize
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jeremy hamilton - 
felix1985 - I'm just curious as to what the guys who know this program well can tell me. I just recently ordered the 5/3/1 2nd edition book. I'm getting ready to get back in the gym after the longest layoff I've had (8 months) since I started lifting 10 years ago. I have Rippetoe's starting strength and have used that program successfully in the past, but I'm wondering which program would be better for me coming off this layoff. I'm leaning toward SS until I get my numbers back up to a decent level and work most of the soreness out. What say you?

Yes, if you have had a bunch of time off then linear is the way to go for now. You will be able to add 5-10lbs a week probably for a while, when that stops working then switch over to 531.

Will you please explain this?

I've only been in the gym twice in the last 8 weeks, so my strength has dropped off quite a lot. Even before I quit, I was not very strong. I'm not sure if I should start with 5/3/1 or something else. If something else, can you give me a good two-day split routine? (along with number of sets and reps (to failure?)).
3/1/12 10:36 PM
tylery101
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was also inspired by this thread to start 5/3/1 will post results in 8 weeks. Tomorrow concludes the end of my first 3 day week. Phone Post
3/2/12 6:44 AM
felix1985

SirPrize -
jeremy hamilton - 

I've only been in the gym twice in the last 8 weeks, so my strength has dropped off quite a lot. Even before I quit, I was not very strong. I'm not sure if I should start with 5/3/1 or something else. If something else, can you give me a good two-day split routine? (along with number of sets and reps (to failure?)).
If you're serious about starting the program do yourself a favor and buy the book. There aren't any write-ups online that are sufficient. Besides, Jim wendler seems to be an awesome guy and you should support him. Phone Post
3/2/12 12:10 PM
sienk

felix1985 -
SirPrize -
jeremy hamilton - 

If you're serious about starting the program do yourself a favor and buy the book. There aren't any write-ups online that are sufficient. Besides, Jim wendler seems to be an awesome guy and you should support him. Phone Post
I agree. Buy the book and support Wendler. But... there are sufficient articles online. Two come to mind. They're both on T-Musce. "The Boring But Big 3 Month Challenge" by Wendler and Bryan Krahn's article on 5/3/1, "How To Build Pure Strength." Both good resources, IMO. Phone Post
3/2/12 1:27 PM
MarsMan
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sienk - ... there are sufficient articles online. Two come to mind. They're both on T-Musce. "The Boring But Big 3 Month Challenge" by Wendler ...

Some funny gems by Wendler in that article:

"ZMA® – this is my favorite supplement for the simple reason that it allows me to sleep longer and without waking up. Furthermore, I swear it helps me have larger amounts of ejaculate. And you can't put a price tag on that."

And

"Cold showers or ice baths – These things suck but can sometimes alleviate soreness. Note, under no circumstances should you let your girlfriend see your penis when you get out. Your wife? She knows your inadequacies. Your girlfriend may still be under the impression that you have some dignity and size."
3/2/12 2:22 PM
SirPrize
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. Buy the book and support Wendler. But... there are sufficient articles online. Two come to mind. They're both on T-Musce. "The Boring But Big 3 Month Challenge" by Wendler and Bryan Krahn's article on 5/3/1, "How To Build Pure Strength." Both good resources, IMO.

My understanding is that the correlation between "strength" and "size" are not always linear. Someone can be very strong, but not very big. Someone else can be big, but not very strong.

Power lifters would lift very heavy weight for low reps, failing at 1-3 (or 5?). Bodybuilders, however, tend to lift slightly lower weight, but failing at higher reps (8-10?).

I no longer train, so I am not concerned about becoming "strong". I am more interested in developing more lean mass and looking (and feeling) good. I realize that some strength will naturally come from this, which will be more than enough for my normal (non-competition) life.

So... will the 5/3/1 program help me gain good size and definition, or does it mostly focus on gaining strength? Would the "Boring but Big" program (or one of his other variations) give me what I'm looking for? If not, I may need to look for another program.
3/2/12 3:09 PM
sienk

SirPrize -
I agree. Buy the book and support Wendler. But... there are sufficient articles online. Two come to mind. They're both on T-Musce. "The Boring But Big 3 Month Challenge" by Wendler and Bryan Krahn's article on 5/3/1, "How To Build Pure Strength." Both good resources, IMO.

My understanding is that the correlation between "strength" and "size" are not always linear. Someone can be very strong, but not very big. Someone else can be big, but not very strong.

Power lifters would lift very heavy weight for low reps, failing at 1-3 (or 5?). Bodybuilders, however, tend to lift slightly lower weight, but failing at higher reps (8-10?).

I no longer train, so I am not concerned about becoming "strong". I am more interested in developing more lean mass and looking (and feeling) good. I realize that some strength will naturally come from this, which will be more than enough for my normal (non-competition) life.

So... will the 5/3/1 program help me gain good size and definition, or does it mostly focus on gaining strength? Would the "Boring but Big" program (or one of his other variations) give me what I'm looking for? If not, I may need to look for another program.
Yessir. I'd say Boring But Big is what you're looking for. Phone Post
3/4/12 5:50 AM
spidermanik
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How important is the deload week? Ie week 4 of a wave, im on the third week of wave 1 and have loved the program so far, especially how easily I have managed to hit 7, 5 and 3 rep max's.

I'm just wondering if it would make a difference this early in the game if I jumped to week one of wave 2 or stick to the deload week?
3/4/12 8:05 AM
felix1985

spidermanik - How important is the deload week? Ie week 4 of a wave, im on the third week of wave 1 and have loved the program so far, especially how easily I have managed to hit 7, 5 and 3 rep max's.

I'm just wondering if it would make a difference this early in the game if I jumped to week one of wave 2 or stick to the deload week?
Don't start outsmarting the program. Do the deload. Just do exactly what the program prescribes. Phone Post
3/5/12 1:39 PM
ubik
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Week 5 - Just completed my first 4 week cycle (2 days a week, boring but big), seemed too light at first but ramped up quickly. This week I didnt have time to write up a new plan so I just went back to my old workout and I added a whole new set to each of my exercises at the heaviest weight. Thats pretty amazing as I have had no progress for some time. I think the volume helped (BBB).
3/6/12 6:11 AM
felix1985

ubik - Week 5 - Just completed my first 4 week cycle (2 days a week, boring but big), seemed too light at first but ramped up quickly. This week I didnt have time to write up a new plan so I just went back to my old workout and I added a whole new set to each of my exercises at the heaviest weight. Thats pretty amazing as I have had no progress for some time. I think the volume helped (BBB).
That's awesome man. Keep it up. I'm in week 3 of my first wave. I'm loving it so far. Phone Post
3/7/12 5:58 AM
Andymac86

ubik - Week 5 - Just completed my first 4 week cycle (2 days a week, boring but big), seemed too light at first but ramped up quickly. This week I didnt have time to write up a new plan so I just went back to my old workout and I added a whole new set to each of my exercises at the heaviest weight. Thats pretty amazing as I have had no progress for some time. I think the volume helped (BBB).

this could help www.strstd.com enter your current max and it will write up the program for you
3/7/12 6:46 AM
Sudo21

I'm in second week of my first four week cycle. I'm doing it i mornings monday - tuesday - thursday - friday, or monday-tuesday-wednesday-friday. Depends on time.

I'm really tired because i also have 4 times a week MMA training at evening (monday, wednesday and friday + one day at weekend).

Should i do just one assistance work exerceise, maybe none? I can't get enough rest because of college and work obligations, so that's the main problem for me.
3/7/12 10:51 AM
tristar
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spidermanik - How important is the deload week? Ie week 4 of a wave, im on the third week of wave 1 and have loved the program so far, especially how easily I have managed to hit 7, 5 and 3 rep max's.

do the deload.
Your body will thank you

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.