UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> No gi basics (grips & handles)

1/27/12 4:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jayd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mostly train in the gi and attended a rare no gi session tonight. I struggled without the collar and sleeves of my opponent to grab when i was playing guard. What are the most effective grips to go for from guard for a start position? Any tips? Phone Post
1/28/12 6:14 AM
Rival School

Talk to Jason Scully maybe he will make a video on it. He talks about having a grip system Phone Post
1/28/12 6:48 AM
GRANBYTRIPOD1

over hooks! into a BJ Penn damn good guard position.

I prefer gable gripping an underhook and the head for grapevining the legs to stretch the guy out so I can put butterfly hooks in.
2/15/12 2:42 PM
Ryan Thatcher

I think lower body grips are overlooked often, especially in no gi. What I mean is either using your own legs/feet to grip or gripping the opponent's legs/feet/waist. When using any of the basic guards, think about how you're using your own legs and hips to hold and how you're controlling you're opponent's legs and hips. You obviously still need upper body grips, but don't forget about the lower body.
2/16/12 10:30 AM
onyx2002
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You also may want to take a step back and look at what you are trying to achieve in your guard. If you are looking to get a nice tight closed guard think about your options. Are you a armbar/triangle form guard? Those are quite hard to just throw up in nogi they usually require a pretty good false sweep/attack. In most cases you will need to break their posture all the way the down by grabbing the back of their head and yanking them back down. After that you can switch to an overhook and collar tie. For no gi I also like the Noguiera MMA guard where you have the arm pinned to their head (like you are about to go for a telephone/razor armbar)
3/24/12 11:00 PM
The Elastic Assassin
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

working no gi will improve your gi grip alot.....trust me....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.