UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Feel like you don't deserve your dan rank?

1/28/12 8:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seong gyeong
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got promoted to 2nd dan. Having conflicting feelings. I generally do well at tournaments and during randori. However, I feel that my technical knowledge is lacking, and a lot of my judo "game" consists of waiting for my opponent to attack, then muscling him to the mat.

I know other 2nd dans, and their judo is much more solid (in understanding, teaching, execution).

Don't mean to come off as whiny; sort of posting for the sake of discussion.

On the bright side, this is motivation to significantly step up my training.

Just wondering if anybody else feels like they're in a similar situation.
1/28/12 11:16 PM
jimmyok
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You must be a member of some judo organization, and I'm sure it has rank criteria. You must have met those criteria, making you deserving of your rank.
1/29/12 8:32 AM
Seong gyeong
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a member of the KJA: Korea Judo Association.

Somewhat ironically, I think the requirements for a black belt are tougher in the US.

There are guys at my school getting black belts after 6 months, no joke.

So, yeah, possibly it's just that this particular organization makes it easy for people to get their black belts.
1/29/12 8:33 AM
Seong gyeong

And, to clarify, the guys getting black belts in 6 months are no judo prodigies. In the US, they wouldn't even be brown belts.
1/29/12 5:53 PM
nowaydo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

black belt = ready 2 learn
1/30/12 12:34 AM
AgedCaviar
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a good thing IMO. You feel like you still have areas to improve. Do what you can to improve them before your next promotion. IMO yopu should force yourself to teach as it improves your technical knowledge. Seek out literature on Judo and incorporate it into your life, not just your teaching.

I would reccomend starting here:
judoinfo.com/seiryoku2.htm
(100% guarantee ^ no matbattle)

1/30/12 9:16 AM
judo man

I'm a brown belt and I sometimes feel the same way. I'm terrible at randori and competitions, but I do a lot teaching with beginners, reffing and the stuff required for my rank. I do other things for my club, but still I'm not content with my judo at all.
1/30/12 10:46 AM
Seong gyeong

AgedCaviar - This is a good thing IMO. You feel like you still have areas to improve. Do what you can to improve them before your next promotion. IMO yopu should force yourself to teach as it improves your technical knowledge. Seek out literature on Judo and incorporate it into your life, not just your teaching.

I would reccomend starting here:
<a href="http://judoinfo.com/seiryoku2.htm">judoinfo.com/seiryoku2.htm</a>
(100% guarantee ^ no matbattle)

LMAO @ "100% guarantee ^ no matbattle"! Thanks a lot, btw, for that link.

I appreciate the encouraging posts. Regarding the forcing myself to teach, I've always been very hesitant to offer ANY training advice. But for some reason, tonight, I worked out with a new student. I don't think of myself as a judo professor by any means, but I know enough to recognize glaring errors.

Incidentally, this new guy was practicing the only technique he'd been taught: ippon seoi-nage. So instead of standing by like a mute as he stepped in way too deeply and did nothing to get me on the balls of my feet, I tried my best to break the throw down to him as best as I could. And it seemed to work. He started making adjustments right away. No more waltzing his way into a rear-naked choke.

I'll definitely try to make better use of my training and serve as a better training partner for new students. At the same time, I feel like the judoka version of Socrates: "I know one thing, that I know nothing."
1/30/12 7:31 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Koreans I have seen and learned from are all top notch judokas. Great stand up games and good ground games. So I am a little perplexed at BB at 6 months. You pick up your judo knowledge/rank thru many years of training and competitions, watching video and studing techniques. I am Nidan and have been training judo for 18 yrs. I have the credentials and skills for Sandan but not the desire enough to learn the Katame no kata. This is far as I can go with my age/skills.
1/31/12 9:47 AM
Seong gyeong

This is what has boggled my mind since coming to Korea. In a country with so many top-of-the-food-chain competitors, how can such sucky players be earning black belts in under a year?

I don't think it's just at my dojo, either. Then again, I am out in a rural town, so who knows.

It must be a case of "recreational" black belts being distinguished from "international competitor" black belts.
1/31/12 9:53 AM
judo man

I've heard that the rank of shodan only means that you are a serious student of judo and ready to start to learn. Black belt does not mean that you are a master, as it does in the U.S.
2/1/12 3:56 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

listen, if the people who run promotions said you are good enough and you trust them then you should just say thankyouverymuch....

if not, go somewhere else to train and figure it out. even then, they wont ask for the nidan back...
2/2/12 7:26 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you earn your belt rank thru competition and promotion(Kata) then so be it. Competition is where you have to "validate" your skills. My hangup is getting promoted to Sandan after my last competition year (2006). I just feel getting promoted you have to compete to partially justify the promotion. This is just me.
2/29/12 6:18 PM
Punk Dobbs

I remember when I tied my first black belt on. I was looking down at it and thinking "I figured I'd be a whole lot better than this!".

Shodan/Nidan doesn't mean master of anything.
3/1/12 2:32 PM
Seong gyeong

Punk Dobbs - I remember when I tied my first black belt on. I was looking down at it and thinking "I figured I'd be a whole lot better than this!".

Shodan/Nidan doesn't mean master of anything.

Haha, good post that resonates with me.
3/2/12 1:32 AM
yusul
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my friend went to a local club near his home(all he had time for), and after talking to people came back and said that if you aren't training at uni/college or with the national team, the judo is rec in korea and more like the y.
3/4/12 8:23 PM
Seong gyeong

yusul - my friend went to a local club near his home(all he had time for), and after talking to people came back and said that if you aren't training at uni/college or with the national team, the judo is rec in korea and more like the y.

I'm no longer in Korea, but that about sounds right based on my experiences. And my dojo was definitely a local club not associated with any elite players. However, the most memorable ass-kicking I ever had was at the hands of the KRA (Korea Racing Authority) judo team. They dropped by my school and proceeded to toss everybody around like it was nothing. Another friend told me that some of the city halls have teams that the higher-level players represent. Wish I could have gotten more time in with the better players.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.