UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Watch 1st Calf Slice in UFC history

1/29/12 8:39 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

In MMA you don't what is going to happen. That is why you have the fight.

The first fight ever shown on FOX, Velasquez vs. Dos Santos, was too short. The second set of fights shown on FOX were too long, without a single KO or submssion. But the undercard on FUEL offered spectacular finishes, including a H--- F------ S--- calf slice, the first in UFC history.

"I didn't create that," said Charles Oliveira of the Unique Technique of the Year candidate he sunk on  Eric Wisely. "My teacher taught me that. The MMA world has a lot of submissions like that and I train hard for that in this position. I started with a heel hook and he defended, I went to the knee bar and he defended and then I got the calf lock. I never did this before in tournaments but I train every day this position in the gym."

The submissions earned Olveira an additional $65,000 for Submission of the Night.

Said Vinny Magalhaes, via Twitter, "Wow,I don't know what surprised me the most.The calf slicer submission, or someone tap to that. I mean, I didn't even know that s--- worked."

Brief demonstration of the Calf Slice from The History Channel's Human Weapon:

1/29/12 8:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kostakio
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loved it Phone Post
1/29/12 9:06 AM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kenny knew what it was.
1/29/12 9:12 AM
Kanye loves fishdicks
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been caught in 1, hurts like fuck Phone Post
1/29/12 9:19 AM
SpartanFightClub
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Catch style!
1/29/12 9:26 AM
blushgirl412
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4L
1/29/12 9:40 AM
NattoMatto
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome sub is awesome. Phone Post
1/29/12 10:21 AM
BET MMA

Actually this is the 2nd Calf Slicer in UFC history. Ivan Menjivar hit Joe Lauzon with a calf slicer!!
1/29/12 10:25 AM
goku

I was surprised Rogan did not identify it as a calf slicer. I'm pretty sure Eddie teaches bicep and calf slicers. Phone Post
1/29/12 10:32 AM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/29/12 10:33 AM
BET MMA - Actually this is the 2nd Calf Slicer in UFC history. Ivan Menjivar hit Joe Lauzon with a calf slicer!!

Great job by Olivera to catch it, though.
1/29/12 10:36 AM
Chris
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO
BET MMA - Actually this is the 2nd Calf Slicer in UFC history. Ivan Menjivar hit Joe Lauzon with a calf slicer!!
That wasn't in the UFC. It was a local show in Montreal. Phone Post
1/29/12 10:37 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
That was awesome!
1/29/12 10:39 AM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Craziest part is that before Barboza landed the famous kick this year, during their fight like a minute before it Goldberg was doing a promo for UFC on Demand or something and apparently the focus this month is 'UFC Firsts'. Moments later Etim was KO'd by a UFC first.

Now Oliviera has added a second one within the same month - good job fellas!
1/29/12 10:46 AM
studiocamp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BET MMA - Actually this is the 2nd Calf Slicer in UFC history. Ivan Menjivar hit Joe Lauzon with a calf slicer!!

10'ing!
1/29/12 10:47 AM
UGCTT_rkilla
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was such an awesome series of events to watch. I wish all of the prelims were still available on facebook so more people would have had the chance to see this when it happened live. Phone Post
1/29/12 10:50 AM
perfy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makes my leg hurt just watching it.
1/29/12 10:55 AM
bigphil

Calf slicers hurt so bad! Props to him pulling that off! Phone Post
1/29/12 10:59 AM
irishrottie
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i read it was a knee bar, watched it online and saw it was a calf slicer. sweet sub
1/29/12 11:35 AM
ghostofgibran
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eagleswhat1 - I caught one on a certain former M-1 fighter over at Norcal Aliance. He trains at ATT and can't feel pain. He just smiled at me and said no no keep going its okay....crazy eastern europeans....... Watch him escape about 20 subs over Nakamura.......not Kaz

Cristea
1/29/12 12:16 PM
hogh20

Didn't jon jones look like he was going to try for one against shogun? right at the end of a round, and he hit him with a hammer fist... i cant remember, havnt seen the fight in a while.
1/29/12 12:31 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
 I've tapped to it in training. But I thought 'pro's' wouldn't tap to something like that.
1/29/12 12:42 PM
random_muppett
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut - Some people don't seem affected by subs like these but for those who do its brutal. Phone Post
Keep it on long enough....they'll tap. Eventually the knee will just....explode. More of a sambo move though I thought? Phone Post
1/29/12 1:10 PM
sside maurice
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Similar to Dos Anjos/Griffin but somehow Griffin fought through it.
1/29/12 1:17 PM
AokiPants
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hogh20 - Didn't jon jones look like he was going to try for one against shogun? right at the end of a round, and he hit him with a hammer fist... i cant remember, havnt seen the fight in a while.
He spun for a kneebar from top half guard, not a calf slicer Phone Post
1/29/12 1:34 PM
rowil

I was wondering what that's called. At first when I saw it in real-time I didn't understand why Wisely was screaming in pain like that. Amazing submission.

I'm glad for Oliveira too, had a rough patch last year, but he clearly belongs in the UFC.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.