UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo games/drills for kids

1/30/12 12:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AgedCaviar
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've recently started teaching a kids Judo class at a local rec center. I have mostly taught adults and MMA fighters looking for help in specific areas of their game. I need some suggestions for Judo themed games or drills for kids aged 6-14.

My go-to at the moment is Judo frozen tag. Depending on class size, 1-3 kids are freezers and tag the others kids. Once you have been tagged you become frozen in your fighting stance and in order to be unfrozen you must be thrown by an unfrozen player. I like to do timed rounds in which only specific throws can be used each round. However I haven't got that far with these students yet.

This is a great bunch of kids and i'd like them to have as much fun as possible while learning the way. Please suggest some games/drills or share your general experience in teaching kids. Thanks, brothers.
1/30/12 10:53 AM
Seong gyeong
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is coming from a very hazy memory, so it may not be accurate at all. But when I briefly trained BJJ under John Ouano, I would sometimes arrive to class early during the children's class.

I recall him saying something like, "It's time to play the tripping game."

From what I remember, the kids would all line up in sort of like "can-can" fashion: side by side with their arms linked up. Then they'd just proceed to try and knock over the student on either side.

Again, this was 5 years ago and my memory may very well be failing me........
1/30/12 11:50 AM
Gendai Budo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bear Crawl Race

Crab Walk Race

Shrimp Race

Judo Race (combines Bear Crawl Race, Crab Walk Race and Shrimp Race)

Indian wrestling (players stand facing each other with usually right hands interlocked and the outsides of their corresponding feet set together and attempt to unbalance each other)

Capture the Flag (place a flag in the belt behind each player and first person to capture the flag wins)

King of the Crab Walk (players try to unbalance each other while in crab walk position)

Red Rover (Bear Crawl Race, Crab Walk Race or Shrimp Race from one side to the other side of the room without being pinned, if pinned you join the other team)

Sensei Says (Judo version of Simon Says)

Dodge Ball (Nerf balls)

"Jump the Shark" (fall training) Phone Post
1/30/12 5:52 PM
AgedCaviar
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the responses Please keep them coming.

Re: jump the shark... Is this where kids line up in turtle position and the winner jumps over the most kids while breakfalling? Phone Post
1/30/12 6:52 PM
Gendai Budo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AgedCaviar - Thanks for the responses Please keep them coming.

Re: jump the shark... Is this where kids line up in turtle position and the winner jumps over the most kids while breakfalling? Phone Post
Yes. Sorry. I call it "jumping the shark" because I started teaching my sons that when they were too small to safely jump and break fall over each other. Instead, we used a large stuffed animal, a shark. Phone Post
1/30/12 7:16 PM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gendai budo covered most of them but I'll give you a unique one that emphasises changing side to side movement. Stand in a circle with 1/2 the kids facing inside the circle and the other 1/2 kids facing away from the circle in alternating fashion. One student begins moving side to side so their back brush the back of the next student then turns to brush the back of the next student in a continous fashion until he comes to the end of the circle. As soon as this first student begins the next student follows him so you have this continuous stream of students moving side to side and turning so their back passes by the back of the next student.
1/30/12 11:41 PM
the rooster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kids form a circle grabbing each other's lapels. They try to trip each other or push pull. Anyone who lets go or goes to a knee or more is out until you are left with 2 to do normal judo for championship.

Rodeo ride: back mount. player on bottom tries to buck, roll, etc to knock off "cowboy or cowgirl". Can't use hands on bottom.

Shark game: one or two sharks one one side, rest of kids on the other. kids bear crawl to the other side. Sharks try to turn them over. If they do, they become a shark until only one kid is left.

Worm guard: open guard drill with both hands tucked in. Try to keep other kid from passing

1 arm worm guard: gets to use one arm

Full guard pass drill.

Sumo: push or pull only out of circle....

bunch of random games we play...
2/6/12 10:15 PM
mortician
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool to hear you are back teaching Dave. Good luck bro. 
2/16/12 12:12 AM
tylery101
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
2/19/12 2:01 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

every time we are standing in line, and with annual passes to disneyland that is frequently, my 4 yo son tried to footsweep me... and, to be honest, he is getting really good at it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.