UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Jones wants to move up to HW.....

1/30/12 3:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
iTakeRockHardBrock
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

after 2 more title defenses but was told it would not be a good idea right now. Kinda disappointing...would like to see him fight people more his own size. Why is the UFC protecting Jones? If he wants to test himself at HW then I say let him. Right?
1/30/12 3:25 PM
Frobenius
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

right
1/30/12 3:26 PM
UGCTT_rkilla
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Source?
1/30/12 3:26 PM
iTakeRockHardBrock
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just said on the MMA Hour
1/30/12 3:27 PM
UGCTT_rkilla
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iTakeRockHardBrock - Just said on the MMA Hour

Ah alright, though you were just talking out of your ass (no offense, it happens a lot on the UG)

Thanks for clearing that up.
1/30/12 3:29 PM
CLINT NJHC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, just because nobody can hang with you in your division doesn't mean you should risk your career by prematurely jumping imo. Wait til he grows into his body a bit more and can be a solid 240 or so in a couple years, then start crushing the Heavyweights. Also his reach is longer than all the heavyweights too so that's really not going to change anything anyways.
1/30/12 3:30 PM
NHBDaddy
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why move up? he can own 205 and make champion type bank for years?
1/30/12 3:31 PM
Tomato Can
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

imsupersteven - A little cowardly not already fighting at heavyweight.

STFU and GTFO with this stupid shit.
1/30/12 3:33 PM
orcus

" would like to see him fight people more his own size."

He weighed 216 two weeks before UFC 128, who is that size at heavyweight?
1/30/12 3:35 PM
disbeliever
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -  " would like to see him fight people more his own size."

He most likely meant someone closer to his stats?

The term "weight" gets throw around to much.

Jones reach dwarfs everyone, including at HW. And if he makes the 205 cut easy, can't really use that as an excuse.
1/30/12 3:35 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no you don't Jon
1/30/12 3:39 PM
mkou

imsupersteven - 
Tomato Can - 

I will not. He physically dwarfs everybody he fights. He made bader,machida,vera look small. It wouldn't be fair if joe riggs cut weight and fought Aldo, so how is it ok when its at lightheavy?

If Joe Riggs would make 145 it would be absolutely fair for him to fight Aldo.

Are you seriously calling a mma fighter who in his last 3 fights faced Lyoto Machida, Rampage Jackson and Shogun a coward? You must be a troll, no one's that fucking dumb.
1/30/12 3:40 PM
iTakeRockHardBrock

disbeliever -

He most likely meant someone closer to his stats?

The term "weight" gets throw around to much.

Jones reach dwarfs everyone, including at HW. And if he makes the 205 cut easy, can't really use that as an excuse.
Yeah that's what I meant. He just looks way bigger than everyone else at 205. Phone Post
1/30/12 3:41 PM
SeeEsDub
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once he starts doing squats and calf raises, dude is going to explode Phone Post
1/30/12 3:42 PM
orcus

I don't see why he should have to move up just because he has long arms. Long arms wouldn't help him in the clinch with someone 250lb, or with someone that heavy or heavier on top of him on the ground.

There are loads of guys with crazy reach for their division. Corey Hill, Kendall Grove, Miguel Torres being obvious examples. No one has ever called for any of them to move up.
Masakyst
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he did some leg work-outs he'd probably be close to 240-250. All of his weight is in his upper body, his legs are toothpick-thin
DavDav2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

imsupersteven - 
Tomato Can - 

I will not. He physically dwarfs everybody he fights. He made bader,machida,vera look small. It wouldn't be fair if joe riggs cut weight and fought Aldo, so how is it ok when its at lightheavy?

You dont get it, you bring up cutting. But Jones does not cut anything out the norm to make the weight. So find a better reason.
1/30/12 3:45 PM
AliBomaye

I want to see jones wait a year or two and not move too fast. HWs would give him serious trouble. But bones at 240 250 is fuckin scary Phone Post
1/30/12 3:46 PM
frontrowbrian

and obviously he was dieting down to be 216. Without curbing his diet he's already in shape at 226-231. JDS is only upper 230s. Jones could be there late 2012.. it's not idle speculation by fans on a forum. It's already being discussed by his camp internally. He doesn't want to clean out division twice like GSP
1/30/12 3:48 PM
disbeliever
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets be real here. The ONLY people that are upset over Jones stats and calling for him to move up are the people who has watched their favorite fighters get rag dolled.

Regardless of if you like all 3 (Shogun, Rampage and Lyoto) chances are someone is a fan of one of them. I know I am. And I did not like seeing them lose like that.

His height and reach especially are insane. He can be in someones guard and hellbow them to death without even bending over fully. And until someone learns the mysteries of Jon Jones, like they had to do with Lyoto, he will most likely continue to rag doll people.

That said, if he comfortably makes 205, I am fine with it as an MMA fan. As a fan of Shogun, rampage and Lyoto though it sucks to watch.
1/30/12 3:49 PM
orcus

So by "fight people his own size" we mean "fight people his own size without dieting"? Because usually the way it's said implies that he's bigger than the guys he's fighting, not that he WOULD be bigger if he didn't diet down.
1/30/12 3:50 PM
lookoutawhale
1106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/30/12 3:50 PM
 Its fun to have dominant champions in different divisions. It solidifies more what it means to be a champion.

Krypstonite
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mkou -
imsupersteven - 
Tomato Can - 

If Joe Riggs would make 145 it would be absolutely fair for him to fight Aldo.

Are you seriously calling a mma fighter who in his last 3 fights faced Lyoto Machida, Rampage Jackson and Shogun a coward? You must be a troll, no one's that fucking dumb.
This.

God damn... This jones is too big blah blah blah bullshit is just stupid. If he makes weight he Can stay in the weight class. If not move up, simple as that. Phone Post
jjj2121

NHBDaddy - why move up? he can own 205 and make champion type bank for years?

HW champion of the world carries a luster all it's own...you are recognized as the baddest dude on the block. A dominant, young, charismatic, exciting, American HW champion can make more bank than any other fighter. People have won belts in 2 divisions before, nobody has dominated 2 divisions and wiped them out. Jones has a real chance to be the GOAT. I say this as someone who cannot stand him.
1/30/12 3:51 PM
Chuckles
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Masakyst - If he did some leg work-outs he'd probably be close to 240-250. All of his weight is in his upper body, his legs are toothpick-thin

I know lol.

I still can't believe that no one has used a run and gun strategy with leg kicks against him.

A good kicker could negate a lot of his explosiveness if they were methodical enough. I was surprised that Lyoto didn't try this. Kicks will reduce the reach disparity as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.