UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Just watched "The Grey". How would you prepare?

1/31/12 3:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Vincent Fields
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/12 3:35 PM

I'm a big fan of survival type movies, and I just watched the new movie "The Grey". Liam Neeson is the main actor in it. I won't post any movie spoilers, but it has me thinking about how I'd do if thrown into the same situation. In the movie their plane crashes up in Alaska in the middle of nowhere, and they have to walk to safety. No cell signals. Most of the passengers dead; there are only 7 survivors.

So just for fun and to get you thinking, here's the scenario I'll present to you. It's not the same as in "The Grey" since you get to prepare for it and you won't have to go through a plane crash first. You are getting dropped off way up in the wilds of Alaska and will have to walk approximately 300 miles until you reach civilization/ safety.  (I'm making up that number, it's not necessarily what they had to walk in the movie).  You can bring anything that you can carry. What all do you bring?  How exactly will you make it?  You are with 6 others, who are random dudes and not necessarily survival experts.  For purposes of this scenario they will generally follow your orders/ directions if they aren't unreasonable.

A little info about this scenario; the temperature is often negative 10 degrees in the daytime, and colder at night.  You are close to den of wolves who are actively hunting you and your group every chance they get. You will cross streams, have to descend cliffs approximately 200 feet down, and have to hunt/ fish for your food (unless you are carrying all the food you need). Weight will obviously be a factor so you'll want to keep it as light as possible. No vehicles, dog pulled sleds, helicopters, etc.

So lets see your list and any other survival tactics you might want to share. I'll post mine after this thread gets going.  
1/31/12 3:34 PM
hankhill
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think there is an App for that.
1/31/12 3:35 PM
Kimbos Bread
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd wear a condom
1/31/12 3:37 PM
superlurker2011
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just watched it also. What drives me nuts is in all survival movies there's people that just say "fuck it, let me die". Who honestly would do this this? I don't know of a single person (I hope) that would rather give up and die than keep trying.
1/31/12 3:39 PM
Vincent Fields
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superlurker2011 - I just watched it also. What drives me nuts is in all survival movies there's people that just say "fuck it, let me die". Who honestly would do this this? I don't know of a single person (I hope) that would rather give up and die than keep trying.

I was thinking the same thing when that guy sat down to die. It's not like he was mortally wounded, just a bruised/ sprained knee.
1/31/12 3:42 PM
FCTV808
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

toilet paper
1/31/12 3:46 PM
BIGWHITESEXY
1134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'D DIE.......300 MILES IN SUB ZERO TEMPS WOULD KILL PRETTY MUCH ANYONE HERE. WALKING IN SNOW IS EXTREMELY SLOW GOING. EVEN IF YOU MANAGED 15 MILES A DAY IT WOULD TAKE YOU A FEW WEEKS TO GET HOME AND THATS BURNING A SHITLOAD OF CALORIES A DAY. YOU WOULD NEED TO KNOW LOCAL FLORA AND FAUNA. HOW TO SET UP SNARES AND MAKE FALL TRAPS. MAKING FIRE IN WET CONDITIONS IS ALSO EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. UNLESS YOU ARE VERY WELL VERSED IN BUSH MASTERY YOU WOULD MOST LIKELY DIE.
1/31/12 3:55 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bring your igloo building manual, fire making material, MREs, and guns.

1/31/12 3:58 PM
FCTV808
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BIGWHITESEXY - I'D DIE.......300 MILES IN SUB ZERO TEMPS WOULD KILL PRETTY MUCH ANYONE HERE. WALKING IN SNOW IS EXTREMELY SLOW GOING. EVEN IF YOU MANAGED 15 MILES A DAY IT WOULD TAKE YOU A FEW WEEKS TO GET HOME AND THATS BURNING A SHITLOAD OF CALORIES A DAY. YOU WOULD NEED TO KNOW LOCAL FLORA AND FAUNA. HOW TO SET UP SNARES AND MAKE FALL TRAPS. MAKING FIRE IN WET CONDITIONS IS ALSO EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. UNLESS YOU ARE VERY WELL VERSED IN BUSH MASTERY YOU WOULD MOST LIKELY DIE.

you could multilayer wrap yourself in toilet paper and survive any cold.

amateur.
1/31/12 4:00 PM
BIGWHITESEXY
1134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YOU ARE FROM A TROPICAL ENVIRONMENT YOU SHUT YOUR COMFORTABLE ASS FACE!!!!!
1/31/12 4:08 PM
FCTV808

Edited: 01/31/12 4:07 PM
BIGWHITESEXY - YOU ARE FROM A TROPICAL ENVIRONMENT YOU SHUT YOUR COMFORTABLE ASS FACE!!!!!

DOES THIS TOILET PAPER BALACLAVA NOT LOOK WARM TO YOU?!?!?

1/31/12 4:08 PM
NiteProwleR
1331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder what happened at the end. That alpha wolf alone could fuck some serious shit up.
1/31/12 4:13 PM
BIGWHITESEXY

LOFL @ FCTV
1/31/12 5:14 PM
LeroyJ

Woodsman's Axe
Multi-Tool
Woodsman's knife (Fallkniven or something similar)
Pot & Cup
Lighter
Metal match (flint)
Wool clothing (including 3 thick socks, gloves etc.)
Waterproof shell for top & bottom (Arc'teryx)
Good boots that fit
300' rope
5000' paracord
2 tarps (probably canvas)
Slingshot
Garbage bags (large & small)
wire snares
2 week's supply of food (mountain home or something similar)
Water Filter & bottle
Good Hat
1st aid kit & a shitload of Ibuprofen
Compass & Map of the area
Backpack to hold it all
1/31/12 6:43 PM
Vincent Fields

Niteprowler;
Ya I didn't like the ending at all. Hated it. Still overall I liked the movie though.

LeroyJ (JJJJJenkins?);
Nice list. But, no rifle and ammo? How you gonna fight off the wolves?

Also, 5000 feet of paracord is a huge, heavy roll of it. I'm guessing 30 plus pounds. What you gonna do with all that?
2/1/12 3:23 PM
Vincent Fields

LeroyJ, I had to look up the Fallkniven brand knives you mention. They are very nice, I might have to pick one up.
2/1/12 5:35 PM
Vincent Fields

Edited: 02/01/12 5:37 PM
Similar to what BWS said above; there's a good chance anyone would die from the elements in this situation. I'd plan to take it slow and steady. I'd stop and set up the tent at night and during storms/ bad weather. I'd drink lots of water from the camelback. Drinking one, keeping the other water bladder full of melting snow inside my jacket.  I'd try to eat wild game as much as possible and suppliment it with my rations.

I estimate my carried load to be around 60 pounds. I carried 100 pounds often in the USMC for 20 plus mile hikes, sometimes in harsh weather (but nothing like the wilds of Alaska). I never went to cold weather survival school, but I have picked up some tips from buddies who did. I'd set up a perimeter alarm system around the tent each night when sleeping. Always keep dry socks on with powder in them. Stay hydrated. I'd bring a lightweight carbine for the wolves/ other predators. Not positive if an AR is best; considering an AK-47 possibly.

I'm sure there must be some important things I'm forgetting to list here. Any suggestions?

AR-15 with:
- ACOG scope
- SlideFire Solutions stock (Simulates full auto fire)
- 3, 30 round PMAG magazines
- Box of 200 extra rounds

This is a very lightweight carbine that should be enough to take care of the wolves and any other predators one may encounter; especially in full auto mode (like maybe up close vs a bear).

Alice Pack w/ Frame

- Kabar fixed blade Knife; 6 inch knife with sharpener attached
- Gerber Multi-tool
- Lightweight Camp Axe
http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/72903-1.html

Electronics/ Gadgets
- Headlight (Uses 3 AAA batteries)
- Flashlight; Small (Uses 1, AAA batteries)
- GPS ( Uses 2, AAA batteries)
- Extra package of AAA batteries
- 6 in 1 hand powered device: radio/ light/ compass, siren, whistle, strobe (Has a pin that sets off an alarm when pulled out. Perfect for perimeter security around your tent, set up with paracord.

Food
- Field Stripped MRE's (as many as I could comfortably carry. Probably 20 or so)
- Salt and cooking spices (For eating the wolves, rabbits, squirrels, fish, etc)
- Water treatment filter (hand pump type)
- Camelback (100 oz water bladder)
- Extra 100 oz water bladder)

First aid kit
- Band-Aids: assorted regular and butterfly types
- Triple antibiotic ointment
- First aid spray/ wound cleaner
- Alcohol wipes
- Tweezers
- Compression wrap (for sprained ankle or to cover gauze over a wound)
- Sun block
- Gauze; Sterile
- First aid tape
- Bandana (tourniquet/ sling/ etc)
- Stitch kit (for stitching wounds)
- Hygene bag (toothbrush, paste, foot powder, etc)
- Ibuprofrin

Clothes
- Extra change of underclothes
- Polyproprylene long johns
- Baclava
- Googles w/ sunglasses
- Cold weather goretex jacket and outerpants
- Boot (undecided as to which exact cold weather/ extreme duty boots to go with)

Gear/ Miscellaneous
- -40 degree rated cold weather sleeping bag
- Cold weather tent
http://www.amazon.com/EV-Tent-Apricot-Mountain-Hardwear/dp/B001TD228K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328134608&sr=8-3
- Duct tape
- Long stemmed lighter
- Firesteel
- Large baggy of 100+ cotton balls covered in Vaseline (firestarters)
- Emergency blanket
- Signaling mirror
- Whistle
- Pack of large Zip ties
- Pen, All steel
- Notepad
- 100 ft of black 550 paracord
- Fishing gear 
- Wire snares 
2/4/12 1:49 PM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ I think from the clothes alone you would freeze to death. And you are definitely going to want an heavy round than 5.56. Shit you would probably just piss off the mosquitoes with that round. ;)
2/4/12 2:46 PM
Vincent Fields

Your right Quick, I didn't go into enough detail with the clothes. There would deffinently have to be a few more layers added.

As far as the round, I'm not sure. I was debating this with a friend. He says he'd bring a 22. I told him I didn't think it would be big enough. He's counting on multiple shots. Keep in mind though that the AR I'd bring would be full auto, which would hopefully be enough to handle wolves while still being a lightweight carbine with 200 rounds not adding up to too much weight.

I might be able to be convinced to bring a AK-47. Still a lightweight rifle, very dependable, and better firepower than an AR.
2/5/12 6:24 PM
Vincent Fields

Ya I did, I figured it would hit it's target audience there better.
2/6/12 10:58 AM
LeroyJ

IMO, fire is a better deterrent than a firearm. Yes, guns are great for front line defense, but being smart by picking safe campsites, crafty by improvising weapons, tools and utilizing natural defenses, and generally being smart are more important tools.

Vincent Fields - Niteprowler;
Ya I didn't like the ending at all. Hated it. Still overall I liked the movie though.

LeroyJ (JJJJJenkins?);
Nice list. But, no rifle and ammo? How you gonna fight off the wolves?

Also, 5000 feet of paracord is a huge, heavy roll of it. I'm guessing 30 plus pounds. What you gonna do with all that?
2/6/12 2:28 PM
LeroyJ

paracord was a typo....should have been 500
2/7/12 10:58 AM
paw
1435 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interesting thread
2/9/12 3:06 AM
sourcheese
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/09/12 3:31 AM
Gear that I would use... no alice pack.. I dont want metal freezing on the outside.

Internal frame backpack, sleeping bag liner, 40- sleeping bag, camp stove, cook set, knife, axe, North Face Mountain 25 Tent, but I wouldnt rely on a tent. I would go try to make snow caves. Also I think if you have 300 miles to travel and you are being hunted by fucking wolves I dont think anyone would have a chance. Even if you were armed like rambo. this is wolve land, they know where to go, they are silent and they will kill you.

My thoughts are that to make a base camp area if you know you are being hunted down. Make an igloo... a good igloo will stay above freezing inside, up to even 40 degrees even when its -45 and snowing like crazy with wind. Find the wolves and kill them. Make bate with food at night, and stay downwind and snipe them. this is not bow and arrow season. I am not a hunter but I would not trust a bow and arrow in the - degree weather that the arctic would provide. Once you kill a few of the wolves then I would move on. I dont think I would chance it other wise. And you can eat what you catch of these crazy bastard wolves.

I would also have a toboggann to carry supplies. you will beable to carry more gear and any extra food and animal skins that you would beable to carry.

For more gear an axe, for sure a flair gun with multiple flairs. You want to beable to signal to any motherfucker that might be flying around.

I dont know much about guns but I would want something thats light wieght with some firepower and a lot of ammo and a scope that can handle condensation and cold.

A spear. I know it sounds crazy but a spear would come in handy. You can use it as a walking stick and if something attacks you in the wild you can use it to thrust from a distance. A machine gun is all nice but you are not carrying it around in your arms with all the other shit you will need for a fucking 300mile hike in the freezing cold. A side arm I would have a .454 and some bear pepper spray

Snow shoes
2 pr. silk long underware (it breathes well and dries quickly)
3 pr. woll sock liners (silk will also work nicely)
3 pr. heavy wool socks
2 pr. wool pants or some gortex pants Polertec jacket
Heavy Wool sweater
Waterproof hat with attached face mask, wool mittels, or some gortex type shit thats for subzero.
sunscreen, 2 water bottles, a water purifyer, coffee filters paracord, food, compass, local topagraphical, caffeen pills, ephadrine, (though I would be careful I would not want to pee my precious water away in the freezing cold) map, first aid kit

Well this list is forever really.. but you get the idea. .... but you can only carry so much even with a taboggan.
2/11/12 4:52 PM
Vincent Fields

Some good ideas there sourcheese, thanks for sharing.

I've never made an igloo and don't know anything about them, but would that take too much time to make one each night when you set up camp? What are we talking time wise to make one, several hours at least?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.