UnderGround Forums >> Stephen Thompson Makes UFC Debut: 62 Straight Wins

1/31/12 4:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trigguh Mike
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/12 4:32 PM

Kickboxing Record: 57-0 (39 KOs) [20-0 Pro record][37-0 Amatuer Record]
MMA Record: 5-0 (2 KOs; 1 Sub)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/01/31/after-62-straight-kickboxing-and-mma-wins-stephen-thompson-make/ 

Edit: Pro/Amatuer Records
1/31/12 4:31 PM
ausgepicht

Impressive. I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure.
1/31/12 4:32 PM
Reem's-obbler
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm, interesting for sure..
1/31/12 4:33 PM
Brian Rule
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dat guy is muito bom. but no 400-0
1/31/12 4:36 PM
ausgepicht

Edited: 01/31/12 4:39 PM
In this video he was throwing combos while moving backwards, which is definitely useful in MMA:

This one has some MMA training footage and sparring with GSP and Marquardt.

1/31/12 4:38 PM
OriginalTUFer

I think I remember this guy. Total killer. Phone Post
1/31/12 4:41 PM
ausgepicht

Edited: 01/31/12 4:46 PM
TOAO -  Thats going to suck getting ur first loss ever against someone that is going to lay n pray on him. Phone Post
In the video GSP said he's become a regular part of his training camp since 2008. He's training on the regular against a guy with one of the best takedowns in the sport, so he's gotta be developing some TDD. Like I was saying above, he can throw combos moving backwards. These two things are excatly what he needs for MMA.

1/31/12 4:41 PM
iTakeRockHardBrock
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow that is insane.
1/31/12 4:42 PM
Halligalli

How old is the guy?
1/31/12 4:46 PM
Suess
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - 
TOAO -  Thats going to suck getting ur first loss ever against someone that is going to lay n pray on him. Phone Post
In the video GSP said he's become a regular part of his training camp. He's training on the regular against a guy with one of the best takedowns in the sport, so he's gotta be developing some TDD. Like I was saying above, he can throw combos moving backwards. These two things are excatly what he needs for MMA.

also - he is closely related to a well-known BJJ guy and i heard he has a good ground game ;)

1/31/12 4:48 PM
Suess
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"28-year-old Stephen Thompson (5-0) is well-versed on the ground, earning a Jiu-Jitsu black belt from his brother-in-law, none other than legendary grappler Carlos Machado"

from smoogy's prospect thread
1/31/12 4:51 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - In this video he was throwing combos while moving backwards, which is definitely useful in MMA:  
Apparently, there is a heavy emphasis on combos while moving at that gym. I've done some drills borrowed from them. Awkward as shit. I can imagine it would be very effective in MMA if mastered, and he has certainly mastered the skill. The problem that most people have moving and striking is that they don't time their footwork and hands to work together, so they become volume punches. I would think that if he can implement this technique in the UFC, he can stay at an angle, giving him more effective strikes, and a much better defense to a shot.

He also appears to work kicks into combinations, something that many UFC don't do.
1/31/12 4:54 PM
heatmeiser
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Halligalli - How old is the guy?
Gotta be under 30 Phone Post
1/31/12 4:57 PM
Windfall
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why were his hands down at his knees? Is this no-punches-to-the-face rules kickboxing?
1/31/12 4:57 PM
DanCrase
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...is he fighting Horror movie actor Tony Todd in that video?

Also, I hope he doesn't turn his back or lean over so much in MMA; he'll be fucked if he does
1/31/12 5:00 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Suess -  "28-year-old Stephen Thompson (5-0) is well-versed on the ground, earning a Jiu-Jitsu black belt from his brother-in-law, none other than legendary grappler Carlos Machado"

I don't think this is completely accurate. He has a JJJ BB. I think he's blue in BJJ under Carlos (who, by the way, is funny as shit).
1/31/12 5:00 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weight class? Phone Post
1/31/12 5:02 PM
MTomlinson
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen is 28 and trains right down the road from me.

I've announced 4 of his 5 MMA fights and the guy is the real F'n deal and if you didn't already know that, you heard it here.

Stephen's style is unique. His kicks are a HUGE part of his game. He's got trunks for legs and uses his lead foot actually as kind of a jab.

his hands are low for a reason, by the way.

Carlos Machado is his brother-in-law. Stephen is not a black belt in BJJ. He's a purple i'm pretty sure, but is very athletic.

i'm VERY excited for his UFC debut and so should all mma fans that keep up with prospects.

Stephen will be a problem for a lot of guys in the WW division
1/31/12 5:05 PM
Rafael135
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn that's awesome. I wonder how good his TDD is... Phone Post
1/31/12 5:13 PM
BadRobot321
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -
In the video GSP said he's become a regular part of his training camp since 2008. He's training on the regular against a guy with one of the best takedowns in the sport, so he's gotta be developing some TDD. Like I was saying above, he can throw combos moving backwards. These two things are excatly what he needs for MMA.

Yes hes gonna be nahsty in the UFC. Phone Post
1/31/12 5:16 PM
SC MMA MD
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zedlepln -
Suess -  "28-year-old Stephen Thompson (5-0) is well-versed on the ground, earning a Jiu-Jitsu black belt from his brother-in-law, none other than legendary grappler Carlos Machado"

I don't think this is completely accurate. He has a JJJ BB. I think he's blue in BJJ under Carlos (who, by the way, is funny as shit).
Correct, his BB is in JJJ. Also correct that Carlos is a great guy, and fantastic teacher. If he does a seminar near you, take it Phone Post
1/31/12 5:18 PM
SC MMA MD
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Windfall - Why were his hands down at his knees? Is this no-punches-to-the-face rules kickboxing?
Full contact kickboxing. That was his kickboxing style, hitting him in the face is no easy task Phone Post
1/31/12 5:22 PM
zedlepln

SC MMA MD - 
Windfall - Why were his hands down at his knees? Is this no-punches-to-the-face rules kickboxing?
Full contact kickboxing. That was his kickboxing style, hitting him in the face is no easy task Phone Post
If you are the quick and have good distance, you can do that. See Chocolate Al's title run.

If you are not quick and don't keep distance, you can't do that. See Chocalate Al's post-title run.
1/31/12 5:30 PM
Russ
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so when is his debut?
1/31/12 5:43 PM
SC MMA MD

zedlepln -
SC MMA MD - 
If you are the quick and have good distance, you can do that. See Chocolate Al's title run.

If you are not quick and don't keep distance, you can't do that. See Chocalate Al's post-title run.
Very true, and he is very quick and covers more distance that you would expect, and faster that you would expect. If he performs to his potential on Saturday people will be talking after the fight Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.