UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mario Yamasaki: 'To err is human'

2/2/12 11:53 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

At UFC 134 in Rio, Welterweight Erick Silva knocked out opponent Luis Ramos Do Nascimento in just 40 seconds. Four and a half months later, he came back and did it again, knocking out Carlo Prater in even less time.

However, referee Mario Yamasaki determined that Silva threw illegal strikes to the back of the head, and disqualified Silva, awarding the bout to Prater. A replay - not available to Yamasaki - appeared to show strikes that could have been legal depending upon the the definition of "back of the head" in use, and the degree to which the Prater turned in such a way that his head was exposed to an incoming blow.

UFC commentator Joe Rogan questioned the call publicly in the cage; many fans thought he over stepped his bounds in doing so. Rogan later explained himself on The Underground to what seemed to be everyone's satisfaction.

Ultimately, Marc Ratner, former Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission and current Vice President of Regulatory Affairs with the UFC determined that Yamasaki's decision would stand.

In a recent interview with Brazil's Radio PVT, Yamasaki discussed the merits of instant replay in Mixed Martial Arts.

"To err is human and it is no shame to admit that you made a mistake and change your opinion. I think it is great for the referees and give us an opportunity the take a better look in what happened and finally make our decision. The athletes work so hard to fight at the UFC that they deserve it.

"(Erick Silva) showed class and maturity. He could have made it a circus with the interview after the fight, but understood the situation and behaved like a real gentleman. He is a great kid. (Joe Rogan) was doing his job and it was my mistake of staying there in the middle. I should had left before that."

"The UFC is the one that wants and needs the most an Athletic Commission in Brazil. They want and they need Brazilian referees, judges and cutmen to help develop the sport in the country and to cut the expenses of bringing an entire staff from USA and Europe. Carlão and I are putting together all the legal issues and will be organizing many seminars, courses and training for referees, judges and cutmen. We'll start in March and will bring many professionals from the US to help us prepare and specialize people to do the work in Brazil."

Listen to entire interview...
Read entire article...

2/2/12 11:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mobycar
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A ref admitting his mistake. We need more like him. Sucks it happened but It's part of the sport. Gained a lot more respect for this guy.
2/2/12 12:12 PM
BET MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go suck some dicks Yamasaki. Yamasaki and his whole family are rats
2/2/12 12:29 PM
confusionSay
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BET MMA - Go suck some dicks Yamasaki. Yamasaki and his whole family are rats

Go accomplish something. You won't have to make that face at the computer screen.

Anyway, Yamasaki seems super humble.Him, Rosenthal, and Dean are the most consistent ref's in the biz.
2/2/12 12:34 PM
Dr Violence
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

would instant replay help in this situation? seems like no one can agree on what's an illegal back of the head shot, so I don't see how instant replay would solve that issue
2/2/12 12:37 PM
Darup

Yamasaki didn't say his call was a mistake just that he made a mistake in letting Rogan interview him
2/2/12 12:38 PM
Marco808

Edited: 02/02/12 12:38 PM
mobycar - A ref admitting his mistake. We need more like him. Sucks it happened but It's part of the sport. Gained a lot more respect for this guy.
I don't think he actually admitted to making a mistake. He just said that there's no shame in admitting a mistake. 

Instant replay is a good idea. Maybe use it only for questionable finishes, so as not to bog down the action. 

ETA: Beaten to it
2/2/12 12:44 PM
5 Round Main Event

I don't think he's allowed to actually admit he made a mistake.

The NSAC never admits mistakes so why would they let Mario.

It seems like this is Mario's way of admitting it without really saying it.
2/2/12 1:20 PM
joe canada
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh sweet jesus, why??? why poke the sleeping bear that is this topic???

Mario Yamasaki: early entry for troll of the year
2/2/12 1:23 PM
JohnnyChrist

Get a life, jesus christ
2/2/12 1:28 PM
KC007

" (Joe Rogan) was doing his job and it was my mistake of staying there in the middle. I should had left before that."

I'm not quite understanding his last sentence. Does he mean he should've left so Joe wouldn't have been able to ask him about his call? Phone Post
2/2/12 2:23 PM
sawdusk
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

unbelievable the expectations some people have on this call... fractions of an inch away from being illegal blows and a ref makes a call out of concern for fighter safety and even with instant replay it's debatable, and people still want to hang yamasaki out to dry...

he's one of the classiest guys in the sport and one of the most reliable refs there is...
2/2/12 2:24 PM
OriginalTUFer

KC007 - " (Joe Rogan) was doing his job and it was my mistake of staying there in the middle. I should had left before that."

I'm not quite understanding his last sentence. Does he mean he should've left so Joe wouldn't have been able to ask him about his call? Phone Post
Yes. Phone Post
2/2/12 2:25 PM
mobycar
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mario Yamasaki and his family are rats? Call him this and that I understand but insult the man's family? Whats wrong with you people?
2/2/12 2:37 PM
Dr Violence
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mobycar - Mario Yamasaki and his family are rats? Call him this and that I understand but insult the man's family? Whats wrong with you people?

'us people'? it's one guy! and he's clearly some seedy immoral gambler guy who probably lost money on the fight
2/2/12 2:39 PM
Fake Pie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has NSAC/Keizer ever, ever, ever admitted a ref or judge made any kind of mistake? Ever?
2/2/12 2:47 PM
JohnnyChrist

Fake Pie - Has NSAC/Keizer ever, ever, ever admitted a ref or judge made any kind of mistake? Ever?

NSAC is a government organization and Keith Keizer is a politician. When do politicians ever admit mistakes?
2/2/12 2:50 PM
Dr Violence

Fake Pie - Has NSAC/Keizer ever, ever, ever admitted a ref or judge made any kind of mistake? Ever?

As far as Kizer is concerned, there simply haven't been any mistakes to admit to *shrug*

It's amazing when you think about it really, going by the NSAC's records, the refs and judges have been correct fully 100% of the time!
2/2/12 4:02 PM
Willy Navarro

100% agreed. Instant Replay has my vote. Were not talking a foot out of bounds.

I just had a fighter (Derrick Lewis 6-2 Heavyweight) have his fight stopped by a ref in Colorado this past friday because of "unintentional blows to the head" and ruled a no contest. NO SHIT it was un intentional.Derricks opponent rolled over from the punches because he didnt want anything to do with them, causing Lewis to accidently hit the back of his head, resulting in a cracked skull and getting carried off to the hospital. Had the ref stopped it the first time Derrick knocked him out that would have never happen.

Thank you Referee Adam Martinez (Colorado Boxing Commission)
2/2/12 5:56 PM
CindyO

Edited: 02/02/12 5:57 PM

Oh shut up, idiot. Trashing the mans family makes you look stupid.

Cindy

2/2/12 6:55 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
It takes a man to admit he made a mistake. He gets credit in my book for doing so. Erick Silva handled that situation unbelievably well, like a real PRO. We all make mistakes if we're in this game long enough.
2/2/12 7:22 PM
Fake Pie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Except he never admitted he made a mistake about the call.
2/2/12 7:25 PM
sevenwithcheese

Not even when presented with HD footage from the source. Keith laughed at Dana when he tried to get Bang the fastest KO.
2/2/12 7:45 PM
Tapped Out Again
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BET MMA - Go suck some dicks Yamasaki. Yamasaki and his whole family are rats
Ban this guy please Phone Post
2/2/12 7:47 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would rather err the side of not taking away someones win on the spot. Respect him for manning up about his mistake. NSAC could learn from him

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.