UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Great looking new campstove

2/3/12 11:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://vimeo.com/32822376

Combo camp-stove/usb charger. Pretty sweet idea.
2/3/12 2:23 PM
Dire
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pretty bad ass
2/3/12 2:33 PM
jfmx345
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is my #1 question regarding this stove...

Who the HELL eats marshmallow's that burnt !?
2/3/12 5:21 PM
LeroyJ

Guess my littlebug stove just went out of vogue....
2/4/12 1:16 PM
MoreThanUFC

I'm buying one.
2/4/12 3:58 PM
jfmx345
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool, built in fan that runs off the electricity generated, and the stove stays cool while cooking !
2/5/12 10:12 PM
EasyTapper
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/6/12 8:28 AM
simthefarmer

looks cool. Not that expensive either
5/28/12 10:14 PM
Incindio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks very cool, still not available yet.
10/9/12 1:01 AM
dunc
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

available now
10/9/12 3:35 PM
ghost of KVR
593 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHomeSteadingBoards.com

sweet

10/9/12 7:07 PM
EasyTapper
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I may have to break down and get this.
10/13/12 3:34 AM
vegasdolphin
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool stuff

11/9/12 5:10 AM
Resolute

Got one. Used it and it worked great.
11/16/12 3:06 AM
vegasdolphin
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Need to get one!

12/4/12 12:15 AM
ringworm

Bought one. Used it to cook dinner indoors. This is all the ash it left.

http://i49.tinypic.com/21a0bip.jpg

Very efficient. Ask me anything about my experience with it.
12/4/12 1:28 AM
vegasdolphin

ringworm - Bought one. Used it to cook dinner indoors. This is all the ash it left.

Nice! Why indoors? No issues with smoke? What did you use to get it started? Twigs/ paper ? Any negatives at all? Was it as simple to use as shown in the video from the company selling it? 

And finally- what did u cook? lol

Thanks

12/4/12 6:59 PM
ringworm

vegasdolphin - 
ringworm - Bought one. Used it to cook dinner indoors. This is all the ash it left.

Nice! Why indoors? No issues with smoke? What did you use to get it started? Twigs/ paper ? Any negatives at all? Was it as simple to use as shown in the video from the company selling it? 

And finally- what did u cook? lol

Thanks

I used long thin splinters of kiln dried alder wood to get it started, threw in a few larger pieces and once they caught hit the power button to turn on the fan. The website says it reduces smoke by more than 90%, and based on what I could see that's credible.

It was as easy to use as in the videos, and if you know how to start a fire, the stove won't give you any problems as long as you don't hit the button for the fan too early. The parts that are supposed to stay cool and soot free do. The only bad thing about it is that the legs are as flimsy as everyone says they are. Fortunately they're the most dispensable part of the stove.

I tried it indoors because I wanted to see how useful it would be in an actual emergency. I've seen survival authors who teach people how to build emergency shelters suggesting that you build one in your own home during certain kinds of emergencies. In an ice storm or a blizzard that knocks out your heat and power, you may go outside to scrounge up some firewood, but you're probably not going to want to abandon your house completely and outside in front of an open fire.

I could see using the biolite for:
* camping
* cooking outside on your patio in summer when you don't want to heat your house
* cooking outside or in your garage during an extended blackout
* heating water outside or in your garage then bringing the water into your house during a utility outage in the winter
* letting it do its 15 minute cool down in the cabinet under a kitchen or bathroom sink to prevent pipes from freezing in an emergency.
* Using it in a basement with some outside ventilation to keep pipes from freezing in an emergency.
* using a the stove running in a garage, a dead tree, and a bathtub full of water to create a makeshift radiator that keeps the bathroom with your family in it at room temperature for days while you wait for road crews to dig you out, even though the rest of your house has completely frozen. (and unlike other scenarios, it would actually be safe and efficient to melt snow for water if you had a biolite)
* cooking inside a hut in a third world country (which is what the big unit is intended for)
1/4/13 1:00 PM
CHS
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/17/13 11:53 AM
raoulDuke

fuck me i need this
8/18/13 9:11 PM
SolomonGrundy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
10/7/13 3:40 PM
Skpotamus

My buddy bought the stove, he likes it, but it's kinda large compared to other stoves.

Check this out: a regular pot with a thermocouple hookup for USB charging. Works on any heat source.
http://www.thepowerpot.com/
1/30/14 10:42 PM
TommyRSU
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.