UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> How long to switch stances?

2/4/12 12:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Piyo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For any of you who have truly switched stances, how long did it take you to feel comfortable in the new stance?
2/6/12 12:13 PM
martinburke
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was a kid, it was still hard to get fights for a southpaw, so I was trained from the beginning as a right-handed fighter.

To be honest, it took a while for me to have confidence in my straight right, but I had some good trainers, and the other guy had to watch for my jab and my hook, so it wasn't really an issue

It wasn't until I realized that I wasn't pulling my left shoulder back as hard and quick as I was rotating my right shoulder forward that the right hand got serious pop in it.

2/6/12 5:51 PM
e. kaye

We teach it from day one.  The mechanics are exactly the same for both sides regardless of the punch, so the position of you feet is not relevant.  
2/7/12 9:48 PM
OneScoup

e. kaye -  We teach it from day one.  The mechanics are exactly the same for both sides regardless of the punch, so the position of you feet is not relevant.  

By "we" he means his karate class, don't listen to this guy's boxing advice. He's been exposed time after time on this forum but insists on posing as a boxing trainer.
2/8/12 8:06 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im a leftie who started out orthodox. Just now starting to work southpaw. Its a different game to be honest, its not the punching mechanics imo but parrying,footwork,angles

There is a reason you dont see many switch hitters even at the highest levels. It requires an insane level of ring intelligence. Its easy to think about but hard to pull off in the line of fire

2/8/12 8:58 AM
martinburke
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best place to shift is usually inside. The other guy doesn't usually notice it right away.

Gsmn is right about the difficulty in the actual practice of switching back and forth. It helped me to be ultra "by the book" when I was orthodox, and to be a completely annoying asshole when southpaw, as awkward as I could be: stomp the foot, hand fight, punch from weird angles...every reason why boxing people used to say "take southpaws and t'row 'em in da river".
2/12/12 10:42 PM
Traditionalist

I never have felt 'normal' when not boxing south paw. I am a leftie and was first shown orthodox but did not take to it well, the mechanics were 100% different.

Punching inside or in the pocket with straights, crosses, hooks, and uppers is easy to learn and use good footwork to switch hit. Give yourself a few years and you can do this. Limit the jab to a stiff arm or range finding and not a working jab, and it will be picked up quicker.

When learning a second stance, you are re-learning boxing entirely. Ring Control, footwork, angles, distance, mechanics, and timing all become different. Cutting the ring off, picking combinations, and counters become huge complications.

Most guys who get far into boxing never completely learn a new stance. At best they switch hit to alternate distance and power while moving.

Honestly, if you are a southpaw who box's orthodox, just work your jab more and get counter timing down with a lead hand stopper. With a heavier jab and the timing to counter in any way with that lead you can shut out an opponent and out class hit with the correct power mechanics from stance.
2/13/12 11:53 AM
e. kaye

Edited: 02/15/12 2:54 PM
OneScoup - 
e. kaye -  We teach it from day one.  The mechanics are exactly the same for both sides regardless of the punch, so the position of you feet is not relevant.  

By "we" he means his karate class, don't listen to this guy's boxing advice. He's been exposed time after time on this forum but insists on posing as a boxing trainer.

Douche, you are deaf and DUMB.   

I can teach boxing better than you can.    Have not done Karate since around 1990.  Been boxing for at least 15 years and am a Level 2 Instructor under my teacher.

And surprise, surprise it seems that most people have some around to my way of thinking in stance and other issues.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.