UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Headgear amplifies knockout?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/4/12 4:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jw234
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been told by an experienced fighter that headgear amplifies knockouts and eventual brain damage. Is there any truth to this? Phone Post
2/5/12 12:00 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO headgear only helps against cuts. Research shows that even amature boxers suffer from dementia pugulistica

But i dont think it amplifies potential KOs. Maybe it makes you spar harder because you think having headgear on makes it safe wich in turn leads to KOs
2/5/12 2:20 PM
KwikTempah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did read a study that suggested the headgear increase the snap and concussive force , Was to do with the headgear pulling the head about actually makes it worse .

my advice would be to only use the most modern up to date head gear , I think they have eliminated the problem with the new ones , not sure though . Phone Post
2/7/12 3:41 AM
OneScoup

Gokudamus stole my name - IMO headgear only helps against cuts. Research shows that even amature boxers suffer from dementia pugulistica

But i dont think it amplifies potential KOs. Maybe it makes you spar harder because you think having headgear on makes it safe wich in turn leads to KOs

What studies?

The only one I found was where they measured a chemical in the spinal column which indicated brain damage, but didn't have a baseline. In the same study they tested cognitive function decline, but the test was right after the fight and was overall criticized for it's methods.

I don't doubt it's possible, but I'd like to see the ammy boxing specific study.
2/7/12 6:40 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was it this study? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19636997

2/7/12 9:47 PM
OneScoup

That's the study I just described in my other post. It was the first study to document brain damage in ammy boxing after previous studies failed to find any, but this study was heavily criticized for reasons I already discussed.
2/8/12 7:48 AM
Gokudamus stole my name

I dont have access to my uni account so i can only see the absract so i will concede as you may be right

This one was just published last year

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21496394

Would be cool if you could go through it if you can get the full study
2/9/12 8:51 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do we really need a study to know that getting punched in the head isn't good for one's brain?
2/17/12 7:19 PM
HULC

The effect of the padding in both the gloves and the headgear is to lessen the impact damage (cuts, broken bones, broken teeth) but in doing so they instead transfer the impact to the whole head, which will shake the brain more. Theoretically, this would lead to worse brain damage over time, but i don't know how any study could show this without getting people to volunteer for possible brain damage.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.