UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Started Systema....please help! Tips, advice, etc

5/23/12 3:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Zero1
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We worked pretty basic stuff. Movement and punches and techniques to release tension.

Vladimir is completly different. You can feel he is mentally completly empty when he is working. No tension no emotion he is just there.....

His movements are even more deceptive than on DVD. You simply can´t see what he is doing until its to late since there is no tension in his body that is showing that he will do something.

His punches hurt and he exactly knows where you are tensed and he can hit exactly this spots all in split seconds.

It´s a complete different level of movement what he is doing. Awsome is all I can say.....
10/1/12 7:58 PM
seek
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got to train with Martin in August! Was awesome, I cant wait to train with Vlad and Ryabko!

TTT for more tips!
10/29/12 7:48 AM
jellyman
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/29/12 7:49 AM
Hey any of you german guys get to check out Valentine Vasiliev in Munster? He's Vlad's brother, older brother I think. Ex-KGB who stayed in Berlin after the wall fell and transitioned into security. I've met him on a couple occasions, he knows his striking. In fact I'd say he's in love with striking. I met one of his students in Canada, said he was the only guy he could find in EU who will go bare knuckle.

The newby vs veteran thing...

My take is that it never hurts to know stuff. If I come in understanding joint locks for example, that's a lot of ground that doesn't have to be covered and likely won't change much because it's anatomy based.

OTOH the mindset from whatever you were doing may have to change.

Once this accomplished judoka and sport grappler who was in the class got permission from Vlad to show us some moves afterwards. He wanted to show us a sweep to some kind of hammerlock, but the problem was the guy he picked for uke sort of forward rolled over the guy's shoulder at the first opportunity and then got to his knees facing him.

Our friend's response was "Aw, nobody reacts like that".

Obviously he was wrong there but I think the difference was that his uke in this case was thinking of escape/survival first and aggression second. Less concern for points you might say.

Similarly I've worked out with boxers who've forgotten they aren't boxing, TJQ guys who forget it's okay to move etc. For me the hardest thing as a jujutsuka was that there was no waza to copy. Don't force the throw, see/feel the opportunity to throw and throw.

So for the gain you get in experience and technical expertise, there may be a deficit in terms of having to lose some thought patterns and expectations.

I have some training exercises if you're interested
10/29/12 8:14 AM
jellyman
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, with respect to Maxim's assertion that it's a way of living, I will say that I think the mindset I got from VV has helped me in my office career in terms of keeping my head when there's a computer related crisis or dealing with difficult people.
11/1/12 1:43 PM
Zero1
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I trained with Valentin at a seminar here in Germany together with Vlad.

Valentin is completly different. Very agressive, attacking style more like Krav Maga. Effektiv but different.

Vlads style is more like an art. I like Vlads approach more but I think Valentins stuff is easier to learn and works quicker on the streets.
11/1/12 4:09 PM
jellyman

Vladimir said he boxed along with all the other boys in his class when he was young. So I would assume Valentine, being in the same schools, would share that.

Valentin reminds me a bit of Belov. Phone Post
11/6/12 9:05 PM
Dougie
1090 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jelly, you were here, would you say this was about circa 2000?

11/7/12 7:21 AM
jellyman

I remember the seminar, in that school in Toronto right?

I'm guessing 2002 maybe?
11/7/12 8:48 AM
Dougie
1090 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jellyman - I remember the seminar, in that school in Toronto right?

I'm guessing 2002 maybe?

Yeah! That's it!

I had a great time that day.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.