UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> blood pressure cuffs to measure core activation??

2/8/12 12:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dave nagel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got a trainer in my gym that uses one.
It's placed under a client and the client is told to activate their core and the blood pressure cuff gauge is read.

Is it a reliable test?

Gimmick or not?

I'm unsure.
2/8/12 12:22 AM
groundfighter2000
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that sounds like some grade A bullshit
2/8/12 12:47 AM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it only works if you put the cuff around your cock
2/8/12 3:41 AM
Leigh
830 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

groundfighter2000 - that sounds like some grade A bullshit
Phone Post
2/8/12 6:21 AM
dave nagel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ha ha thanks for the sincere reply guys. look i think its bullshit too .... but there could be something in it. i don't know thats why i asked.
can someone give me a legit response.
2/8/12 6:57 AM
slayer806
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like some 12 year old Paul Check style nonsense.
2/8/12 1:31 PM
groundfighter2000
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dave nagel - can someone give me a legit response.

groundfighter2000 - that sounds like some grade A bullshit

2/8/12 3:30 PM
groundfighter2000

Ask him, what exactly he is measuring and how he is measuring it.

Ask him about intra and inter-rater reliability of said test.

Regardless, its bullshit. There's no way you're reliably testing "core activation" (also, thats a pretty vague term, ask him to define specifically what he means by "core" and what he means by "activation") with a frigging blood pressure cuff.
2/8/12 8:21 PM
Ninjaplata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paul Chek indeed.

" TRANSVERSE ABDOMINUS STRENGTH TEST Place a blood pressure cuff under the umbilicus and pump it up until it reads 40 mm Hg on exhalation. With your body completely relaxed, pull your belly button upward, off the blood pressure cuff without activating the hip flexors or tipping the pelvis. If you have normal transverse abdominus function, there will be at least a 10 mm Hg reduction in pressure. If you decompressed the BP cuff less than 10 mm Hg, you should include this test as an exercise "
2/8/12 10:11 PM
groundfighter2000

Ninjaplata - Paul Chek indeed.

" TRANSVERSE ABDOMINUS STRENGTH TEST Place a blood pressure cuff under the umbilicus and pump it up until it reads 40 mm Hg on exhalation. With your body completely relaxed, pull your belly button upward, off the blood pressure cuff without activating the hip flexors or tipping the pelvis. If you have normal transverse abdominus function, there will be at least a 10 mm Hg reduction in pressure. If you decompressed the BP cuff less than 10 mm Hg, you should include this test as an exercise "

Wow, that is retardation at its finest right there
2/12/12 5:46 PM
dave nagel

thanks for that. thought it looked pretty stupid.
2/20/13 4:26 PM
Dokkalfar
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found this thread through a Google search: "cuff pressure test tva transverse abdominis paul chek" and am a little perplexed at the replies.

The blood pressure cuff test is an objective test measuring the strength of the transverse abdominis (TVA)--that's all. The subject lies prone with an inflated BP cuff beneath their umbilicus (the navel). The subject is instructed to draw in the navel in order to RELIEVE pressure on the cuff, reducing the measurement of initial inflation. Distortion of the measurement (cheating) can occur if the subject presses their head, hips or feet into the ground. A similar phenomenon occurs when a person weighs themselves. Set up a scale to measure your weight near a wall and next to a table. Stand on the scale and press DOWN into the table. Likewise, stand on the same scale and press INTO the wall. Anyone doing this during their annual physical will get scolded by the assistant for altering their reading.

The ingenious test does not deserve the ire displayed here, although, its reputation is somewhat tarnished because of the PC association.
2/20/13 5:58 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The whole "drawing in" thing has been debunked for a while now. I have never in my entire career advised anyone to use this technique. It was, and is based on bad science.

The TVA is not 100% under concious control, and activates automatically during forced exhalation; coughing, sneezing, (and puking). It also activates at different times when bracing for various movements.

There is more than one version of the BP cuff test. In my experience it's more of a gimmick than anything else.

TAKU

2/20/13 8:19 PM
Dokkalfar
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you provide details regarding the (1) "bad science" & (2) "more than one version of the BP cuff test"?
2/20/13 9:46 PM
Chocolate Shatner
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dokkalfar,

Taku is probably referring to the concept that "drawing in" stabilizes the core and back. In fact, creating IAP (interabdominal pressure) through tensing of the muscles can and is most often created through EXPANSION of the muscles, and pressing them outward.

more later.
2/20/13 11:07 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I already did say why it was bad science. Because these muscles are not under 100% concious. Also, pulling in the abs, actually destabilizes the mid-section.

The other way some people use the cuff is to place it under the lower back area while the person to be "tested" lies down on it. They then have them attempt to compress into the cuff controlling their "CORE".

TAKU

2/21/13 1:42 PM
Taku

BTW...I could actully see how one might be able to use these BP cuff tests as feedback of improved controll etc. I just don't use them myself and (as previously stated) think Drawing in is a crock.

TAKU

2/21/13 2:56 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use mine every now and then.
To check my BP, that's all. ;)
2/21/13 7:45 PM
Dokkalfar

Taku, are you a therapist or trainer?
2/21/13 11:28 PM
Taku

Dokkalfar,

You can check my mma.tv profile. I am an S&C coach as well as a Personal Trainer.

TAKU

2/22/13 10:06 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Must not come to the S&C very often.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.