UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Calf exercises for Achilles rehab?

2/8/12 12:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mitey Mouze
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, I've been rehabbing an Achilles tendon rupture but the damn calf is still atrophied. I still can't run or jump yet (it's been a year). I'm doing calf raises (body weight) and theraband exercises. Any suggestions? Phone Post
2/8/12 12:38 PM
martinburke
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mobilitywod.com/?s=calves
4/12/13 8:40 AM
DeuceDroppin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How's the recovery going? Pretty sure I ruptured, or at least partially ruptured mine the night before last. Going to the doc in an hour. Sucks!
4/12/13 8:53 AM
Mitey Mouze
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DeuceDroppin - How's the recovery going? Pretty sure I ruptured, or at least partially ruptured mine the night before last. Going to the doc in an hour. Sucks!
That sucks, good luck in your recovery! It was a long recovery for me, over a year before I could do much. Got back in to BJJ first due to the less explosive movements, still haven't really got back to doing karate (how I tore it). I can do pretty much everything now...run, jump, etc. I did some Muay Thai recently and it was fine, but I don't think it will ever be the same. The calf is still a bit smaller than the other and there is some lost flexibility. I really recommend working on flexibility before trying to regain strength, it's harder to get that back. Phone Post
4/12/13 10:18 AM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, what do you want to do now that you can't?
4/12/13 10:20 AM
DeuceDroppin

Thanks for the update. I'm actually sitting in the waiting room at the docs now.

Would you mind sharing any other tips on what worked well for you and what you feel was maybe a waste of time? Phone Post
4/12/13 11:07 AM
HUMBLED1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I blew up my right calf a few years back doing Muay Thai,did not go to the doctor. I had no insurance,STUPID! My muscle sits a little higher then my left leg, but I'm doing everything I used to do. What really helped me rehab it was to start running after about 5 months. I also wore compression sleeves by mcdavid all day for a long while. I did not do any direct raises or lifts. Just slow steady running with some occasional speed work.
4/12/13 11:36 AM
DaddyRich
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mitey Mouze -  So, I've been rehabbing an Achilles tendon rupture but the damn calf is still atrophied. I still can't run or jump yet (it's been a year). I'm doing calf raises (body weight) and theraband exercises. Any suggestions? Phone Post

I ruptured mine the end of September 2012. It does sound like your behind if you can't run or jump at all. I'm doing light jogging and can do a few one legged hops on the repaired leg. I'm still far from where I want to be but here are some of the exercises that helped me the most.

If you can't get up on your toes on only your bad leg you can do negatives. Get up on your toes on both legs and slowly come down with all your weight on the repaired leg.

I use therabands when watching tv and work my foot in every direction until I get tired or bored.

I do a standing one leg matrix. I stand on repaired leg and hold my other leg out in front, 2 the side, and behind for 10 seconds 3x.

4/12/13 11:53 AM
Mitey Mouze

vermonter - Well, what do you want to do now that you can't?
I'm actually about as good as I'm going to get :). Just replying to Duece's questions.
DD, like I said, I think I pushed for recovery strength too soon...definitely would have focused more on daily flexibility. I used the therabands for awhile but they seemed to limited benefit. My doc didn't send me to PT, but in hindsight I wish I had gone. There is a general stiffness in my ankle that never really goes away. It doesn't stop me from doing anything, but it can be uncomfortable. That being said, I'm only two years from the injury, so that may fade over time as well. Phone Post
4/12/13 12:09 PM
DaddyRich
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My Achilles is stiff every morning. I have to get it pretty active for it to loosen active and feel ok.
4/12/13 12:52 PM
DeuceDroppin

Thanks for the info gents. I just got home from the doctor. News is about what I expected. Torn achilles. Going for my MRI tonight, but doc thinks it's about 75% torn. Sucks!

On a weird note...I have and have had almost no pain. When the doc asked me the 1-10 scale pain question my answer was 3...BUT...I told him it was a 10 if we are talking an overall weird, fucked up feeling! Phone Post
4/13/13 12:23 PM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mitey Mouze - 
vermonter - Well, what do you want to do now that you can't?
I'm actually about as good as I'm going to get :). Just replying to Duece's questions.
DD, like I said, I think I pushed for recovery strength too soon...definitely would have focused more on daily flexibility. I used the therabands for awhile but they seemed to limited benefit. My doc didn't send me to PT, but in hindsight I wish I had gone. There is a general stiffness in my ankle that never really goes away. It doesn't stop me from doing anything, but it can be uncomfortable. That being said, I'm only two years from the injury, so that may fade over time as well. Phone Post

Yup, did NOT pay attention to the date of the OP.

But good to hear!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.