UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Tell me about the Jurus of Silat

2/8/12 1:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kido777
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After the last Tournament my school attended we were a little disappointed because we didn't get to participate when they were doing their Forms and Weapons Kata. We are a Traditional Hapkido school, but my Instructor likes to mix in some Filipino Martial Arts from time to time.

Later on last year my Instructor told me that he's always had an interest in Pencak Silat. He once trained with a guy who was a practioner of the Art.

Early this morning I had a dream of doing Forms from Silat. I didn't even know Silat had Forms till I did a Google Search and found out they are called Jurus in that style. Finding information was difficult. Silat doesn't seem to be a mainstream style to me. At least that's just what I've gathered.

Anyone know where I can find more information on the Jurus? What are the best books or tapes out there? I did a search, but it's hard to tell which books and tapes are best.
2/11/12 11:19 AM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ugghh...well it differs with style... traditionally you'll tend to see very small jurus, i.e a few moves put together...not long forms like in karate or kung fu... but it varies on the style and newer styles often have long forms.. I did silat for many years and many styles... a lot of the styles are very small sets of tactics to counter another style that was having success at the time... eg cikalong to deal with cimande.. im not a big fan of forms

as for videos to learn from...i dont really know im afraid... tbh most of the silat you see in the US is pretty bad, and a lot oin asia is awful... its an art that will die out in a purer form Im sure
2/11/12 8:44 PM
Kido777
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So far, the best vids I've seen are those made by Victor De Thouars.

In the other vids they show the djurus with no piece by piece breakdown.

I've been going over the reasons for the deterioration of Indonesian/Filipino Martial Arts for a while now. That's the subject of another thread when I feel like outlining it. For anyone who cares that is...
2/11/12 8:51 PM
Kido777

BTW I hear Victor De Thouars has a terminal illness, if that is true it is very sad.

Here is a link to a vid with about 9 of his djurus on it, it is bad quality but still watchable.There is also a link to the right for the first vid. It is his The Deadly Art of Pencak Silat-Serak from the 80s.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTg3NTQ2MDM2.html
2/19/12 10:22 PM
yusul
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm interested in the decline of indonesia arts. imo asian arts in general are declining as stardard of living and globalization are increasing. the exceptions might be in china, hong kong, japan and places more isolated like tibet.
2/20/12 4:00 PM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yusul - i'm interested in the decline of indonesia arts. imo asian arts in general are declining as stardard of living and globalization are increasing. the exceptions might be in china, hong kong, japan and places more isolated like tibet.

china?? theyre horrible there..best chinese arts are in malaysia and taiwan imo

heres the thing...take an art like silat... from experience those arts can take a long time to learn... in malaysia the syllabusses tend to be trimmed back to make an art quicker to learn,.... then young folks are interested in the competition...so the arts become altered more to the competition rules...silat has horrible competition rules which make some silat styles impossible to use... then people arent interested in their indigionous arts...they want the arts that ahve come in... taekwondo for example is big in indonesia

when i trained kalaripayatt in india, people were more interested in karate and stuff there... plus the traditional ways are very time consuming... take kalaripayatt... training early in the morning everyday from childhood daily takes commitment...in poorer countries people dont tend to see much point in investing so much energy with no financial gain

japanese karate is a shadow of what it once was, with the methodologies created to teach kids being the mainstay... have a look at steve morris' site for more info on the decline of karate
2/20/12 9:27 PM
yusul
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^to answer your question about china, it's such a large area and mainly aggrarian, that not all traditions and family lines are eradicated by famine and the cultural revolution. i'm not talking about wushu.

research indicates that in beijing and tianjin bagua is at a high level as mao had promoted it. in chen village, chen style taiji seems to be preserved. and in some costal towns, there are lineages of northern mantis that seem authentic around. also, shiao chiao and baji quan seem to be at a high level still, although the pracitioners are fewer.

finally, since hongkong is part of china, there are still some practitioners of hung gar, choy li fut, etc.

re; japan, i wasn't talking about karate, although i'm assuming that kyokushin is still popular enough. for example, there are schools of aikijujutsu and kenjutsu that are preserved, at least in kata and drill format. judo is still extremely strong in japan as well as kendo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.