UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Jimmy Wages - Miss Pearl

2/8/12 6:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/08/12 6:13 PM

Jimmy Wages, a contemporary of Elvis, left Tupelo to cut four unreleased sides for Sun Records in 1956. He sank into obscurity after Sam Philips was talked out of releasing any of them due to their lack of commercial appeal.

His raw, untrained vocals and wild lyrics, coupled with a backing band teetering on the edge of a meltdown were finally unleashed on the public 25 years later when Sun began releasing material from it's vaults.

2/9/12 10:41 AM
Ali
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's fun -- I have a Sun singles box set. I wonder if that's on it? I should un-bury that thing.

I'm a bit surprised at raw and wild even those early Elvis singles sound, truth be told. My "modern ears" don't hear this Jimmy Wages song as at all too raw or wild for public consumption... but we've passed a lot of water since those recordings.
2/9/12 10:50 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In this case it was probably more of 'No Commercial Potential' than being too wild. Although you also have to consider that Elvis was causing riots during this period, and rock music was considered obscene.

I love the snare roll that comes out of nowhere.
That's where I first heard it, I think it's on Vol 4.
2/9/12 12:01 PM
Ali
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I have this in my collection and never noticed it... Once again I feel like an idiot.
2/9/12 12:25 PM
DasBeaver

Nah, I didn't hear it either until it jumped out at me when I wasn't listening. If that makes any sense.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.