UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Shadow Thundercloud?

2/10/12 5:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
scrnm
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello all,

Has anyone ever heard of this guy? A friend from work (not into martial arts) gave me this guys card and told me he teaches Native American martial arts. That sounded good to me as I never saw them before, but a search turned out that he teaches JKD, but no one seems to know if he is legit or not.

And the name...just sounds made up.

Thanks for any help!
2/11/12 4:32 PM
BJJSavate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie North Carolina, Chief Instructor
Isn't Shadow Thundercloud, like "Strider", one of the Rangers of the North, also known as the Dúnedain of the North, descendants of the Dúnedain from the lost kingdom of Arnor, tasked with patroling the boundaries of Eriador in Middle Earth?
2/11/12 5:18 PM
lloydmtz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being Full-Blooded (1/4 Navajo & 3/4 Apache) I don't buy into any Native American Martial Art Mumbo Jumbo but that's just me.
2/11/12 9:32 PM
scrnm
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ, that's kind of what I'm afraid of. I don't want to waste my time, get worthless training and end up with an Indian nickname that means "fat-sweaty-white guy" or something.

lloydmtz, all of the stuff I've seen on the web that claims NAMA is usually a mix of TKD, judo or another mix of Asian arts, with maybe a few knife techniques thrown in.

Do you know anything about Navajo or Apache martial arts, or maybe why there isn't any formal training for them?
2/18/12 10:21 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't Chris Clugston the guy incorporating "native America Indian arts" into his JKD?
2/20/12 11:01 AM
lloydmtz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like all Cultures I am sure there were "fighting techniques" that existed but to my knowledge I do not know of any authentic formal Native American Martial Art. If those four words are used together I would assume the art that is being marketed is made up of a blend of different Asian Arts. Every Native American that I know who does Martial Arts has studied one form or other of a Known Martial Art.

If I was to theorize I would assume most Native Americans were more concerned with the Welfare of the tribe as opposed to waging war on their brothers. Look at the tribes down in South America who live a very simple life I have never seen a picture or video or read a story that they practice any form of a Martial Art, yet I am sure they have ways of dealing with conflicts should they arise.

Maybe isolation doesn't warrant a need for a Style of Fighting?

3/4/12 3:50 PM
scrnm

Thanks Lloyd, interesting stuff.
3/6/12 1:29 AM
BshMstr
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't have much specific insight here, other than i thought wrestling was pretty popular.

but i think much like soldiers, the various tribes utilized a variety of tools and weapons, which would require a lot of time/practice, and be more effective.
3/12/12 10:20 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/12/12 10:32 AM
Nonsense, War is War. The teaching's learned would first be how to make the weapon, either with , plant, wood, bone, stone or stolen metal . After the material was gathered the construction of the weapon was learned and how to hunt with your personalized weapon. Then the killing and processing of the animal was learned, then the same method was applied to the enemy, with hope in their heart and blood on their hands. Is there any art out there today that will prepare you for this?
No!!! The War training exist but the so called Martial Artist doesn't want to see it or go through it.It can become spiritual because there is honor in taking a life.for the right reason

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.