UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> US Marshals Hiring

2/12/12 1:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TrappeBier
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

March 5th...

http://www.usmarshals.gov/careers/exam_flyer.pdf
2/13/12 7:45 AM
You Against Me
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have any tips in regards to making your resume stick out to them? I know getting your resume seen is half the battle.
2/13/12 3:43 PM
FJJ828
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just off the top of my head...

I think the key is to tailor your emphasis to the specifics of the job and attributes critical to doing it really well. Use power words that convey active accomplishment. Too many generic resumes I have seen look like people were just along for the ride. You don't have to have been the quarterback, but your history and/or training needs to support how you were an important part of the team's success. 
2/14/12 12:43 AM
You Against Me
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, FJ. That's exactly the kind of information I am looking for. I know departments get bombarded with applications that are mundane and I know that the posting on USAjobs.gov is going to be for 5 days or until 5,000 applicants sign up - so whoever has to go through those resumes is going to be breezing through a bunch that don't draw attention.

I've never put in an application on USAjobs.gov, are cover letters with a brief synopsis appropriate?
2/14/12 10:45 PM
TrappeBier
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

USAJobs has a resume builder I think, I am not 100% sure. All the cop forums are going nuts on this so if I go there you will get tons of tips. Basically be one of the first 5000 to get on the list and your resume will probably get looked at. Most people fail out at some point in the process. From this 5000 person cattle call they expect to get a hiring list of 250.
2/16/12 7:45 AM
You Against Me

Trappe, yeah I've got most of my resume imported onto USAJobs now. Just fixing it up here and there in the meantime and uploading all my documents. That's a pretty steep cut - 5,000 to 250.
2/16/12 9:25 PM
TrappeBier

You have to remember most of the 5000 have no chance, they do not meet the minimum qualifications and are just hoping to get lucky. Basically screwing qualified people.
2/23/12 1:03 PM
KidJustice
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe unless you are current Federal LEO the USMS is also making applicants test during this process. Let me double check.
2/23/12 8:09 PM
TrappeBier

yes, written test. Very easy.
2/24/12 3:46 AM
You Against Me

Any idea if everyone who gets their application in will take the test or if they'll weed out applications from the start? I wonder where the test locations will end up being. I've got my resume and documents all uploaded on USAjobs. So I suppose it's time to play hurry up and wait.
2/24/12 10:58 PM
TrappeBier

They should be weeding out applications from the start. Make sure you are on that website at 1201 trying to get in, it will be like a fucking radio call in contest.
3/2/12 7:09 PM
Muay Tired
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trappebier,
Just out of curiosity, was there a guy in your class who looked and sounded like Ray Romano's brother on "Everybody Loves Raymond" (Brad Garrett)?
6/14/12 12:04 AM
You Against Me

Edited: 06/14/12 12:08 AM
Well, just wanted to update this thread. I got a test invite for the 19th in NYC. I'm pretty excited to say the least. On 3/5, I was on at midnight and USAJobs was crashed for about 15 minutes because of the high traffic. Over 30,000 people applied and the rumor I heard was that about 3,000 actually got test invites. It's just nice to actually be given the chance to take the next step.
6/14/12 1:14 AM
KidJustice
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck! Maybe we will work together in the future :)
6/14/12 1:14 AM
KidJustice

Good luck! Maybe we will work together in the future :)
6/15/12 9:16 PM
TrappeBier

37'000 applied, impressive even getting to test. Good job.
6/23/12 10:20 AM
You Against Me

The test took a total of 90 minutes for 104 questions. 70 questions were scenario based with 60 minutes to complete. They would give you a scenario and you would pick what you most likely would do and then what you would least likely do. The next section was 30 minutes to complete 34 questions regarding spelling, grammar, capitalization, sentence structure, ect. Should get test results back in 4-6 weeks according to OPM. Appreciate the encouragement, fellas! I'll keep this thread updated to my status.
6/23/12 11:38 AM
KidJustice

TTT
6/25/12 3:34 PM
TrappeBier

Kid, I could not find you on the global, so I hit you up on facebook.
7/22/12 10:07 AM
You Against Me

Still standing by for more information. I've heard a few people have gotten interview invites, but nobody from a district near me (I took the test in NYC). Fingers still crossed, though!
7/25/12 9:35 AM
You Against Me

Got my interview invite yesterday.
7/25/12 10:35 AM
KidJustice

TrappeBier - Kid, I could not find you on the global, so I hit you up on facebook.

Did I answer you?? You may have hit up my father...Don't remember getting an e-mail, but then again I have been dealing with so much shit recently.

I think you can get MMA mail so I'll send you my DHS e-mail
10/18/12 6:50 AM
You Against Me

Interview is done and out of the way. Now it's the waiting game. I've heard that they're doing two classes of 48 in FY13, I'm not sure of how many people are still in the process, but I know there is a lot of competition. It was an honor to make it this far and even get the opportunity to interview. I've heard mid-Nov to Dec we'll hear about tentative offers.
10/21/12 2:13 PM
MarsMan
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You Against Me - Interview is done and out of the way. Now it's the waiting game. I've heard that they're doing two classes of 48 in FY13, I'm not sure of how many people are still in the process, but I know there is a lot of competition. It was an honor to make it this far and even get the opportunity to interview. I've heard mid-Nov to Dec we'll hear about tentative offers.

Good luck man!
10/21/12 8:48 PM
TrappeBier

Good luck.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.