UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Okano O Soto Gari

2/12/12 3:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nowaydo
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone use the Okano entry into the Osoto? I know Neil Adams uses the entry. If so, was it something you were taught formally or picked up on your own?
2/12/12 3:59 PM
nowaydo
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/12/12 6:57 PM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It looks like he does a mock ouchi gari before the Osoto and then switches so fast to the Osoto.
2/14/12 12:49 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He uses the exact same step for osoto, ouchi, kouchi, kosoto... he does it on purpose.
2/14/12 1:39 AM
nowaydo

Edited: 02/15/12 4:31 PM
I think it is a interesting way to teach footwork with only one single entry to all of his attacks.
2/14/12 3:22 AM
easyrhino
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the trouble with this entry for most unskilled judoka is getting countered. same with this entry for ouchi. i think this is one of the reasons many coaches teach the techniques coming in with your body square.

however, its what works for you. i practiced judo for years on seoi otoshi in the way my uncle taught it to me and quite a lot of other coaches scoffed at it because i liked to grip very low on the lapel. they were correct, and got mauled for it for a very long time, but as my grip fighting improved, it started working well for me.

that said, if i ever become a coach to competitive juniors, i would not teach them my style of seoi otoshi as a primary technique.
2/15/12 3:54 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ER... the entire idea behind the way Okano teaches and does these throws is to streamline the body, thus streamlining the attack's direction, power, speed. trust me when i tell you that if i was going to teach a child how to use these throws this is the exact way i would do it. they have lots of time to learn them and by having 1 pattern for all of them the amount of repetition they can get in quadruples compared to learning all 4 in the normal manner with different patterns for each.

i was introduced to the way he does these too late in my career to alter what i did. but without any doubt i see the genius behind it. there is absolutley zero increased risk of any counter, in fact it is the opposite. by streamlining the steps tori is afforded greater drive with the throws due to greater repetitions and positioning... it is extrememly difficult to counter somebody who slams into you in a perfect line with that kind of force.

ive felt it moer than once. no way could i counter it.
2/15/12 4:31 PM
nowaydo

That's what I was thinking, Josh.
2/19/12 12:18 PM
judom
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Having multiple attacks from the same entry is critical. The opponent does not know which way you will go, even if he knows its 1 of the 4 attacks.
2/27/12 7:18 PM
shen
671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/27/12 7:19 PM

That is smart.

Reminds me of throwing all your kicks from the same knee chamber, used in Sport Karate.

Same idea.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.