UnderGround Forums

RugbyGround >> Does the rugby world care about 7s competition?

2/12/12 4:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
seg
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

American tv has shown the Wellington and Las Vegas legs of the international circuit.  I know the crowds at the matches turn into one huge costume party / drunkfest, but how much weight do the individual countries put on their 7s programs vis a vis their 15s programs?

It looks like the Island nations take it very seriously, but the traditional rugby powers view it as a kind of minor league for young players or those otherwise not good enough to make a national 15s squad.

Has the upcoming addition of 7s as an Olympic sport changed anything?
2/13/12 3:39 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its a fun in the sun game.

Some of the new guys in teh 6 nations were blooded on the 7s stage but its usually people on the cusp of internationals rather than fully fledged internationals that play in them.

The Pacific islanders have always played it a lot.  It might be due to the lack of space they have or just a cultural thing.  I'm not sure really.

England tend to think of 7s as another traiing program.  Its rare you see full on legends of the game playing it, particulally forwards.  Its hard for forwards to maintain the mass they need because of the pace of 7s and the numebr of matches you play during a day.  there have been concerns that the difference in abilities required by 15s v 7s and their styles of play are making them less and less interchangable at the top level.

i don't know how the olympics will change things.
2/14/12 3:08 AM
Squatdog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The players take it fairly seriously, but Sevens comes a distant second to Rugby and is mainly used for developing and identifying talent. It's a great lifestyle, though.
2/14/12 6:25 PM
Squatdog

A lot of great players have come through the Sevens system.

2/20/12 1:47 PM
seg
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kenya will dominate that game if they ever put resources into the team.  It was hilarious watching the white boy Argentinians get stiff armed into oblivion by the Kenyans in Vegas.
2/20/12 6:06 PM
Squatdog

I have no idea how Kenya became so good in Sevens within such a short time frame.

The typical world class Kenyan athlete looks like this:

2/20/12 6:07 PM
Squatdog

But no, they will never 'dominate Sevens'.
2/26/12 4:56 PM
seg

Squatdog - But no, they will never 'dominate Sevens'.

Do you have any personal experience with blacklethicism?  The Pacific Islanders may be able to compete but countries like Scotland and Argentina might as well hang it up (not that they shouldn't already, anyway).
2/26/12 5:14 PM
Squatdog

...against KENYA? LOL!

Considering that the Island nations are routinely slaughtered by teams that look like an Ayran Brotherhood convention, I'd say no.

Even in New Zealand, the Crusaders are by far the most successful Super Rugby team, yet were criticised for allegedly having a 'three Darkie' rule whereby only a maximum of three Islanders would be allowed in the team...
2/29/12 8:56 AM
seg

I don't think Kenya will ever dominate in 15s, but 7s is a different game.  If they put resources into the program, only the Pacific Island nations will have a chance (and NZ and Australia which will be forced to use players of Pacific Isalnd heritage).

It was laughable watching Argentina try to compete athletically with Kenya.
2/29/12 5:40 PM
Squatdog

Apparently, that was a very young Argentinan team without their best players and the previous time Argentina played Kenya, they won 43-0.

LOL!

Seg is going to have to find a new trolling angle. This one isn't working out for him.
3/3/12 6:02 AM
seg

Yeah, I guess there's no reason why I bunch of white boys shouldn't be able to keep up on a 7s pitch if the level of training is ever equalized.

3/3/12 3:39 PM
Squatdog

Because running in a straight line and being able to perform on the Rugby field are EXACTLY THE SAME, amirite?
3/3/12 5:35 PM
seg

I think whitey is in lane 1, he should be along anytime now.
3/4/12 6:25 PM
Squatdog

Now Seg is forced to resort to race trolling, which is just sad.
2/14/13 10:26 AM
seg

Squatdog - Now Seg is forced to resort to race trolling, which is just sad.

Well, well, well.

England Wins Wellington 7s in OT

In a breath taking final England overcame Kenya 24-19 in extra time to win the 2013 Hertz Sevens in Wellington.

Kenya had led 19-12 but after they loss two players to the sin bin England were able to score two late tries through Christian Lewis-Pratt, to take the match to Extra Time, and then Sam Edgerley to win it.

It was just the final dramatic act in an extraordinary day in Wellington when Kenya earlier beat New Zealand 19-14, also in Extra Time, to reach the 2013 Hertz Sevens final.

Having trailed 14-0, Mike Friday's side scored two second-half tries to take the match into sudden death extra time before Oscar Ouma scored the all-important try, his second of the match. New Zealand still finished third overall, beating Samoa 17-7 in the third place play-off.

Ben Ryan's side booked their place in the final beating Samoa 21-19. Trailing 12-0, Christian Lewis-Pratt (twice) and Marcus Watson gave them a 21-12 lead which proved enough despite Lio Lolo's effort.

In the quarter finals, New Zealand beat Australia 24-5 thanks to two tries from Gillies Kaka, England defeated the Auld Enemy 31-7 with Dan Norton and Marcus Watson scoring two each, while Samoa proved too strong for Argentina.

In what was arguably the most entertaining quarter final, Kenya defeated African rivals South Africa 21-20. Having trailed 15-7 and 20-14, Willy Ambaka scorched away to score his second try of the match to snatch a 21-20 victory for Mike Friday's side with four missed conversions proving decisive for South Africa.

2/15/13 3:56 AM
Squatdog

You're posting the results of a tournament from two weeks ago?
2/15/13 5:22 AM
seg

Let me help you with reading comprehension.   A year ago I watched Kenya play 7s, and based on the raw skill I saw I said they would dominate if they ever put resources into the game.  You laughed.

One year later, Kenya beats New Zealand at its national sport, humiliating you and the entire nation.  I was thinking it would take like 10 years of focusing on the sport, but it took more like 10 months.

New Zealand will likely withdraw from international 7s competition in humiliation before the end of the decade.

2/15/13 7:27 AM
Squatdog

They won one game and lost in the final. It's Cool Runnings all over again.

Sevens isn't New Zealand's national sport.
10/6/13 12:33 AM
GrotesK

Sevens is the 'exhibition' level of rugby.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.