UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gary Goodridge Diagnosed with Pugilistic Dementia

2/13/12 7:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Team GDP
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmaweekly.com/gary-goodridge-diagnosed-with-ctepugilistic-dementia-says-no-regrets-about-his-fighting-life

Gary Goodridge Diagnosed with CTE/Pugilistic Dementia; Says No Regrets About His Fighting Life

Former UFC, Pride and K-1 star Gary Goodridge has a new battle on his hands, but just like his fights in the cage or ring, he won’t go down without swinging.

Goodridge recently visited a top neuro-physician in Canada where he was diagnosed with early onset CTE/pugilistic dementia.

CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) by definition is brain damage caused by repeated head trauma, resulting in degeneration of brain tissue. It’s commonly found in boxers, football players, ice hockey players and other athletes who have suffered repeated traumatic shock to the head.

When Goodridge first got the news from his doctors, it shocked him like it would any other athlete, and it wasn’t easy to swallow.

“You get the news you just have to deal with it, live with it,” Goodridge told MMAWeekly.com on Monday. “There’s no treatment that goes along with it. There’s pills to make it slow down the process, but it’s inevitable.”

Goodridge, who just released his autobiography titled ‘Gatekeeper: The Fighting Life of Big Daddy Gary Goodridge‘, says that he would like to get the word out about the dangers of repeated concussions to other athletes.

He most specifically points to his kickboxing career that took off in 1999 and lasted until early the end of 2010.

“I would like to share with people, but I think most of my damage came from K-1. MMA really wasn’t an issue because there’s hardly any shots to the head,” said Goodridge. “90-percent of my injuries came from K-1, where there’s nothing but head trauma, head injuries over and over again.”

While some would feel bad for Goodridge going through the debilitating disease where there is no cure, he doesn’t want anyone’s pity because if he had his choice he’d do it all again.

Goodridge isn’t a man who lives with regret. Even on Monday when he was playing the new UFC Undisputed 3 with his daughter, watching her compete with his character on the game, he loves every minute of life he has and never looks back on anything with regret.

“I have no regrets,” said Goodridge. “I love the way I live my life, I mean I would like to make little changes, but no, I have no regrets. I loved the way my life was, I lived a good life, and I’m happy with what I did.”

Don’t expect Goodridge to slow down however. With his new book in release, Goodridge is also keeping very busy teaching seminars all over the world.

In April, Goodridge will travel to Australia to do a seminar and he’s always looking to share his secrets of kickboxing, ground and pound and everything he learned for the last two decades with the next crop of young fighters out there.

Gary Goodridge truly led a fighting life and he wouldn’t have it any other way.

For more information on his seminars or to speak to Gary Goodridge follow him on Twitter @BigDaddyFight
2/13/12 7:57 PM
Team GDP
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best wishes to big daddy.

link for his book

http://www.amazon.com/Gatekeeper-Fighting-Life-Daddy-Goodridge/dp/1550229931/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329178356&sr=8-1 
2/13/12 8:00 PM
Jamie_B
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best wishes Gary. Phone Post
2/13/12 8:03 PM
MMAxNate
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt 4 big daddy

fan 4 life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-upS9D8BLjE
2/13/12 8:03 PM
OUTCOLD
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta love Big Daddy
2/13/12 8:04 PM
Devlin
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best of luck man, you're a real warrior.
2/13/12 8:07 PM
DamnSevern
1191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP -  best wishes to big daddy.

link for his book

http://www.amazon.com/Gatekeeper-Fighting-Life-Daddy-Goodridge/dp/1550229931/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329178356&sr=8-1 

2/13/12 8:14 PM
Brigham
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ugh that absolutely sucks. Phone Post
2/13/12 8:16 PM
Soul Gravy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Big Daddy. Always enjoyed watching him fight.
2/13/12 8:20 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no excuses

no regrets

still taking on challenges & still not backing down

ttt for a true legend
2/13/12 8:22 PM
Malvert the Janitor
849 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad news Phone Post
2/13/12 8:24 PM
PhilBaroni
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Big Daddy
2/13/12 8:25 PM
Tommyunited

TriumphUnited.com, MarketingCoordinator
KimboByGhettoplex - no excuses

no regrets

still taking on challenges & still not backing down

ttt for a true legend
. Phone Post
2/13/12 8:26 PM
lildragonof
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best of luck Gary.. Phone Post
2/13/12 8:32 PM
DanCrase
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saddening news :(

All respect and all the best for Goodridge, though; a legend in the sport
2/13/12 8:36 PM
Musashi
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember when he fought for the first time in the UFC like it was yesterday. My heart goes out to him and his family.
2/13/12 8:36 PM
LiverpoolFC
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
2/13/12 8:38 PM
inf0
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sadly there will be many who also develop this from MMA... or already have

2/13/12 8:48 PM
DIZZZLE

Big fan of GG

all the best from a few hours up north
2/13/12 8:55 PM
thenino
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

all the best for GG
2/13/12 8:56 PM
jahmon
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wish Goodridge the best!!
I hope they caught it early enough to manage and maintain a lifestyle that he can become proud of. Much respect my friend. Phone Post
2/13/12 9:00 PM
BrutalBackus
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for Big Daddy, keep up the fight.
2/13/12 9:06 PM
MMAxNate
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this needs to be stickied for at least a week.
2/13/12 9:08 PM
Attila
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best of luck Big Daddy. You're an intellgient guy and a natural fighter. If anyone can handle this it's you.
2/13/12 9:09 PM
Seamus619

Best of luck to a legend. Somebody please put in a gif of Goodridge KOing Herrera. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.