UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Countering the chicken wing

2/14/12 12:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the rooster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, got a pretty good 7 year old but worried as the liberty nationals are coming up about the double arm bar, or double chicken wing.

http://www.playsportstv.com/wrestling/wrestling-moves_double-arm-bar-pin-maneuver

I can't seem to find a counter to this on the web and it seems pretty rough on the little guys shoulders.

Any suggestions on stopping it or countering. Thx.
2/14/12 1:08 PM
NCAA92
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best way to defend is not to get in it :) It is nearly impossible to get out of once the hands are locked. The best thing to do is if the top guy gets one bar in,  is to have your son lock his hands and "pull" the barred arm out, then base back up.

2/14/12 4:17 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watch out for the viper as well. Lots of kids seem to be hitting that right now. Phone Post
2/14/12 6:45 PM
the rooster

chip what's the viper?

This chicken wing is confounding. Like the crane kick in karate kid. If done right, no can defend!

2/14/12 7:43 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/15/12 10:39 AM
Looks like it's called the merkle in the civilized world. All the kids call it the viper down here in Ga
http://www.flowrestling.org/video/467964-Mike-Krause-Merkle
2/14/12 7:59 PM
ChipW

I had never seen the viper/merkle before Dixie nationals but a bunch of kids were hitting it there. I'm sure they will be at liberty as well Phone Post
2/14/12 11:55 PM
the rooster

Thx guys.
2/21/12 8:10 PM
DaddyO4
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hit that "viper" back in 1985 after learning it at a wrestling camp. I am from Louisiana so we were behind,and still are (but getting better), many other regions. The ref was really impressed as he had never seen that tech before.

Still use it during grappling sessions and sometimes transition to side choke,armbar off kimura,or aquire side mount.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.