UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> FretKillr

2/15/12 10:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Xecrate
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/15/12 10:39 PM

Surprised I haven't seen him mentioned in this forum. Great musician. 

2/15/12 11:02 PM
Xecrate
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another bad ass

Scotty Anderson
2/15/12 11:38 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/16/12 12:06 AM
Scotty Anderson, at least, has been scaring me for years! Doesn't leave Cincinnati much, from what I understand.

Just like Phil DeGruy basically never leaves New Orleans:

2/16/12 9:18 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FretKillr is great, thanks for posting it. Reminds me a bit of Reverend Peyton.
Scotty Anderson is a monster that makes me wonder how the hell he does those things, whereas Phil Degruy makes me wonder what planet I'm on.

http://faststrings.com/scotty-anderson-red-hot-guitar.html
2/16/12 4:20 PM
hugomma
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great videos, thanks guys.  How the hell is Scotty Anderson doing that chord/trilly lick at 2:46?
2/16/12 10:49 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is sick. I'm pretty baffled by most of it from 1:32 on. And I "get" classical chops.
2/16/12 11:48 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I could watch/listen to Scotty Anderson all day. What a killer player and the music he plays is right up my alley. I saw Phillip Degruy at jazz fest in new orleans in the 80`s. I had never really listened to him much, but he was just jaw dropping. What an imagination.
2/17/12 3:37 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hugomma -  Great videos, thanks guys.  How the hell is Scotty Anderson doing that chord/trilly lick at 2:46?

I believe that lick is called "Don't quit your day job, son"
2/17/12 3:54 PM
hugomma
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DasBeaver - 
hugomma -  Great videos, thanks guys.  How the hell is Scotty Anderson doing that chord/trilly lick at 2:46?

I believe that lick is called "Don't quit your day job, son"

I think that sage advice 'Beave, LOL.  Looking forward to that Michael Anderson interview on the Sun Ra thread.  

Thanks again,

Hugo
2/17/12 4:14 PM
DasBeaver

Haha, no problem.
Don't forget to check out 'The Right Trousers' by Professor Elemental on that playlist.
2/17/12 4:23 PM
hugomma

DasBeaver - Haha, no problem.
Don't forget to check out 'The Right Trousers' by Professor Elemental on that playlist.

Will do, thanks for the heads up. Don't know who Professor Elemental is, but I can't wait to find out. When a dude who likes Scotty Anderson & Sun Ra tells you to check something out, it's definatley worth checking out.
2/17/12 4:40 PM
DasBeaver

In that case prepare to be greatly disappointed!
2/17/12 4:46 PM
hugomma

DasBeaver - In that case prepare to be greatly disappointed!

I say that to my wife every night.  I'm used to disappointment.
2/17/12 4:55 PM
DasBeaver

Haha, your in good hands with me then.
2/18/12 2:47 AM
Ali

Edited: 02/18/12 2:47 AM
I posted this some years back. A blast from the past, then. TOTALLY different thing, but Fretkillr and that right hand rhythmic power made me think of it:

Sir Richard Bishop. Only one record that I like (which is called "While My Guitar Violently Bleeds"). He's been around forever, did a million records with Sun City Girls. All that stuff just sounds like a couple of stoned guys screwing around. But clearly when he puts his mind to it, the guy's a beast. A few really special things on youtube.

2/20/12 12:48 AM
hugomma

Thanks for posting the Sir Richard Bishop videos, Ali.  Never heard of him before.  Great right hand indeed, along with some tough sounding Celtic stylings.

Here a guy I recently found out about: Danny B. Harvey, a rockabilly guitarist that studied with Joe Pass.  Check out his version of  "The Claw".
2/21/12 11:05 PM
Ali

Edited: 02/21/12 11:09 PM
Danny B. Harvey. Nice. Helluva player, and that's a tough tune.

Any idea of his other output?

Meanwhile, here's Jerry Reed doing it with a band:

And some dude named Bill Simpson... whom I know nothing about other than what I hear here.... great tone on electric nylon string, and a really cool run interpolating some harmonics at 1:03ff ... I like this guy (so far) a lot:

2/22/12 4:43 PM
hugomma

Cool Ali, will check this out later.  Thanks dude.
2/23/12 3:35 PM
DasBeaver

Sir Richard Bishop is mighty impressive, I'll definitely be wasting a few hours on youtube watching this guy.
Great renditions of the Claw but as always hats off the the man himself, Jerry Reed. What a phenomenal player!

I'm beginning to lose track of where this thread is heading, so to steer it back on course and throw it off completely here's a pair of videos I hope might be new to you.

Kevin Breit & Harry Manx are both Canadian guitarists, Kevin Breit is the local 'what-the-fuck-was-that!?!' guy, for lack of a better term. He plays in several different styles but is known for his unique approach to the electric.

Harry Manx invented a 'sitar-guitar' and plays a hybrid of slide blues and indian ragas. It's pretty incredible stuff, and I wish I could get into it more than I do. Something about the technique and vocals kill the 'blue' part of the soul in his music for me.

Here's and excerpt of Kevin Breit from a show called SOLOS which I'd love to see the rest of:

Kevin and Harry Manx together:

2/23/12 9:30 PM
hugomma

Ali,

I just got turned on to Danny B. Harvey. Don't know much about him other than what's on YouTube, although I am going to see him in Denver on Fri March 3rd. Here he is with The Living Deads doing a cool version of a song you've heard before.

DaBeave's right, Jerry Reed was outta sight. Although Bill Simpson's harmonic lick & rendition was badass.

Beave, thanks for the Kevin Breit clip. The licks he played on the 2nd tune, with Harry Manx, reminded me of something Nels Cline might do. And although I enjoyed the Manx, I feel you on the vocals & technique killing the blooze.

Does Berit play jazz fusion shit, or punk shit like Nels?
2/24/12 1:24 AM
Ali

I love some of Simpson's touches, but I won't compare him with the Original Jerry Reed.

I'm a stickler for tone on the nylon strings; often VERY good electric and steel string players just SUCK with that. (Steve Howe has all kinds of classical pretensions, but his right hand SUCKs for nylon; Clapton is execrably bad using a pick on nylon strings. I just heard a live McCartney show with Joe Walsh playing (what are on the record) the Clapton parts, and sounding equally bad with the nylon strings. Sometimes even the always estimable John McLaughlin.

All that is to say... I think the biggest deal about Bill Simpson's version of The Claw is that the instrument sounds good; he knows how to use a right hand on those kinds of strings. This apart from the harmonics run, or anything else.

I"m typing too much -- just sayin' what struck me about that guy, while not at all trying to say it was better than either of the other two.
2/24/12 8:52 AM
DasBeaver

That Danny B guy could turn out to be a good find, but he didn't take my attention away from the bass player with that clip.
Hugo, Breit is all over the place. He plays in that style a lot (really at a loss for what to call it), an with a few bands that do rootsy/countryish stuff and weird jazz stuff. He released an album of instrumental Neil Young covers which is kinda cool.

Ali, I'd like Simpson more if he didn't look like an evil villain from Criminal Minds.
2/24/12 10:15 AM
Ali

DasBeaver -  I'd like Simpson more if he didn't look like an evil villain from Criminal Minds.

BEST thing about him!
2/24/12 10:24 AM
hugomma

Edited: 02/24/12 10:32 AM
Ali - I love some of Simpson's touches, but I won't compare him with the Original Jerry Reed.

I'm a stickler for tone on the nylon strings; often VERY good electric and steel string players just SUCK with that. (Steve Howe has all kinds of classical pretensions, but his right hand SUCKs for nylon; Clapton is execrably bad using a pick on nylon strings. I just heard a live McCartney show with Joe Walsh playing (what are on the record) the Clapton parts, and sounding equally bad with the nylon strings. Sometimes even the always estimable John McLaughlin.

All that is to say... I think the biggest deal about Bill Simpson's version of The Claw is that the instrument sounds good; he knows how to use a right hand on those kinds of strings. This apart from the harmonics run, or anything else.

I"m typing too much -- just sayin' what struck me about that guy, while not at all trying to say it was better than either of the other two.

Ali, you really have a knack for honing in on what makes something good & interesting. Because "The Claw" is such a cool, tricky piece, it's easy to overlook his tone. I just went back & really paid attention to the tone rather than the piece it's self, & I agree. And the cool harmonic lick struck me again.

I also agree with you about most other rock dudes sounding like shit on nylon strings, Clapton being the one that bugs me the most.  Then again, most of Clapton's solo work just bugs me in general.   
2/24/12 10:30 AM
hugomma

Edited: 02/24/12 10:45 AM
DasBeaver - That Danny B guy could turn out to be a good find, but he didn't take my attention away from the bass player with that clip.
Hugo, Breit is all over the place. He plays in that style a lot (really at a loss for what to call it), an with a few bands that do rootsy/countryish stuff and weird jazz stuff. He released an album of instrumental Neil Young covers which is kinda cool.

Ali, I'd like Simpson more if he didn't look like an evil villain from Criminal Minds.

'Beave, I'll look up Breit more on my own, but if you can post more clips highlighting his style, I'd appreciate it.  Although I like the 1st Breit post more as a piece of music, I enjoyed his playing more in the 2nd clip.  He reminds me why I like Nels Cline so much: they both seem to have that same 'what-the-fuck-was-that?!?' quality to whatever type of music they happen to be playing on any given night.

LOL at the Criminal Minds villan.  Simpson does have a bit of serial killer look to him, doesn't he?   

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.