UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> FretKillr

2/24/12 10:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
729 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a pain in the butt with nylon string guys. I don't even get why someone like Clapton picks up one of those guitar... what the hell? You could sound good on your Martin Dreadnought (or whatever), or like crap on this thing. Pick one!

But that's just because I played classical, so I have some stricter ideas. Simpson makes a few mistakes, some fret buzzes, isn't the virtuoso the other dudes are in their renditions. But he SOUNDS damn good. (And I think it's mixing harmonics with muting, if that's what he's doing (?) that really kills me in that one run. I thought whatever it is he does was really original).

I'm listening to that first Kevin Breit right now. WOW. Really good. I have a record with Manx and Breit called "Simply Whatever". I haven't really listened enough to say for sure, but nothing struck me as like what he's doing on that video. If it's there I need to notice -- if it were there much, I'd have listened to the record a lot more! Still need to get to the Manx and the latest Danny B. Harvey.
2/24/12 10:42 AM
hugomma
1008 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, you may hold nylon string guys to a high standard, but you're right.  The tone SUCKS, it's shrill & annoying, especally when they try to use picks.  I love Steve Howe, but I think "The Clap" is a much better sounding, cooler piece of music than "Mood for a Day" ever was.

Curious to hear what you think of Briet's licks on the Manx piece.  
2/25/12 7:49 AM
Ali
729 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hugomma - 
Curious to hear what you think of Briet's licks on the Manx piece.  

Just got to that. He's really good... I totally hear the Cline comparison; especially some little touches (like that muted string thing he opens the big solo at 4:31 with; but like lots of things). Actually hear some in Manx, too, who does a bunch of things I love as well, and then sometimes a little more than I love :-(

Vocals didn't bug me on that one, unlike you guys, but they would (and have) over the course of a couple more songs.

Those guys are beasts. I want a little more dirt thrown on it, now. I saw on Breit's webpage a listing of artists he's recorded with. Frisell is one of them -- I want to know which recordings.
2/26/12 7:55 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to hear more about Nels Cline, I'm not familiar with his music at all.
I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm an expert on Breit, I've only seen him perform a handful of times and own none of his albums.
2/26/12 12:44 PM
Ali

A couple of us tried to push Cline at you a long time ago... I think you lost interest when you learned he took a day job (playing in Wilco). But at the other extreme he's closer to Keiji Haino. And does a pretty full spectrum in between.

Forgive the thread drift (sort of like this one) because I turned it I think 75% into a Frisell thread, but you can pick and choose videos and links from below. Or maybe above, I'll "ttt" it. Hugo's thread "Guitar God Nels Cline". That'll give a hint.

Cline's got a bunch of writings on his website that are great, too. And he's on a pretty absurd number of records.
2/27/12 10:07 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha, that sounds about right. Wilco gives me A.D.D pretty quick. Thanks, I'll go check it out

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.