UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Any Sun Ra fans here?

2/17/12 2:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hugomma
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DasBeaver - Don't know if you'd be interested in this, but the unofficial archivist of Sun Ra and author of 'THIS PLANET IS DOOMED: The Science Fiction Poetry of Sun Ra' Michael Anderson gave a really cool interview and played a bunch of unreleased stuff here:

It's about 1/2 way down the playlist:

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/41045

That sounds great, look foward to checking it out when I get home.  Thanks 'Beave, much appreciated.

2/17/12 9:21 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is that WFMU, in East Orange, New Jersey?!?

Anyway, I used to be an East Coaster (USA) in a previous life... listened to that chit all the time. This, of course, pre-internet.... this is a blast from the past for a luddite like me!
2/18/12 12:39 AM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just listened to that Sun Ra/Gilmore "Round Midnight" you hosted, Hugo. Holy $(*&Q$#~!!!!

Sun Ra is playing like Don Pullen or something. (In a way reminds me of Cecil Taylor doing Monk's "Bemsha Swing, too, though that was 1959...)

I love ever second of that thing. Nice find.
2/18/12 10:05 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously, that was beautiful.

Yeah Ali, I always listen to the live stream. That particular dj is Irwin Chusid, author of 'Songs in the Key of Z.' His show is Wed 3-6pm, worth checking out.
Also recommended is the Friday 3-6 show 'Miniature Minotaurs' - dj Kurt Gottschalk plays what I imagine you would if you had a show with no restrictions.
2/18/12 10:37 AM
Ali

Edited: 02/18/12 12:33 PM
I just this morning barely scratched the surface of that WFMU site. Listening to the Anderson/Sun Ra stuff. It's overwhelming how much material is there, and that's not the half of it. Thanks for those pointers!
2/18/12 5:05 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad I could hip you to something for a change!
That archive is truly staggering in it's scope, really amazing station. After the shows finish their available a few hours later in the archives. It's a real revelation to find music that you'd likely never hear anywhere else.
2/18/12 11:06 PM
Ali

HA! You have NO IDEA how often I've played (particularly) "The Mollusk" for people and done the whole props/big-up/Arsenio dance (whiteboy version) I've done for you. Occastional Rev. Horton Heat thing, too.

I've listened to a couple of Gottschalk shows now, too (by the way, awesome name. L.M. Gottshacshcalk being a composer both I -- and Dr. John, btw -- have "covered" back when I played...)...

Most of it doesn't actually sound like either of the radio shows I used to host (at two different college/Universities). But some of it does. And it took a while for me to admit it. I listened to the "guitar" episode, and caught myself a few times rolling my eyes ... and THEN... some tricky/bizarre and astounding shift and thinking holychit, that's TOTALLY something I would have done....!
2/19/12 9:09 AM
DasBeaver

Gotta be in dire straits to break out the Mollusk, haha.
I hope you know I meant that as a compliment!

With Kurt's show in particular the scope of what he plays at any time, Ragas to Fred McDowell to Music Concrete to early Television demos might not be exactly what you would play, but it comes from the same place. I'm also amazed that I can listen to almost any show and only know 2% of what he plays.
2/19/12 3:29 PM
hugomma
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, glad you like that Round Midnight.  Been busy with the fam, but I'll be back ASAP.  Looking foward to checking out that WFMU show.  I'm from Jersey & remember that station.  Thanks again.
2/19/12 11:31 PM
hugomma

Okay, back for now.  I need to check out some of the previous posts, but I thought this was a pretty cool doc that you guys might appreciate.
2/19/12 11:48 PM
hugomma

Just listened to the Ken Nordine clips. Although I liked it, & love Night Music, that 1st clip's delivery was a bit much IMHO. It kind of reminded me of what Shatner would sound like doing spoken word over jazz. The earlier clips were much more subdued, but that 1st won...eh...you know...

Cool stuff either way.
2/20/12 2:02 PM
hugomma

Just getting to the Ra radio broadcasts.  Although this isn't Sun Ra, it came up on YouTube.  Check it out...
2/20/12 2:34 PM
hugomma

Just listened to part of the Michael Anderson interview & listened to that "Space Aura" tune.  Wow.  Thanks 'Beave...will have to listen to this in bits & pieces, but it's great.
2/20/12 3:14 PM
hugomma

Edited: 02/20/12 3:29 PM
Just listened to "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes", solo Sun Ran playing piano & solo vox (whatever that is), about 1:36 into 'Michael Anderson...Discusses THIS PLANET IS DOOMED...' The solo vox sounds like a broken accordion, while the piano plays lush, impressionistic chords underneath. Weird, beautiful, & unlike any solo keyboard performance I've ever heard. 

Then right afterwards they played "Stop Pretty Baby" & "Boot 'em Up", with the Red Saunders Orchestra right after.  "Stop Pretty Baby" was R&B with vocals, & "Boot 'em Up" was more like big band swing.

The interview is great, & the music choices are fantastic.  I'm really glad you posted this 'Beave.

2/20/12 11:28 PM
hugomma

Edited: 02/20/12 11:33 PM
Sun Ra & Don Cherry.

2/21/12 3:32 AM
Ali

That's outrageous! I'm not sure whether it's really "untitled" and they're just quoting... but I swear I'm hearing "Lulu's Back In Town" at 1:09 - 1:36 or so most clearly. (I guess they get away from it at that point... running through very abstract versions of at least a handful of standards? A bunch of little figures I kind of recognize -- and can't place exactly -- after that!)

Sun Ra just really going at it -- again all early Cecil-like at 5:44 to 6:18, then this really beautiful delicate thing immediately (which Cherry keeps from getting *too* pretty...)

And those are two of the least likely looking people ever!
2/24/12 3:15 PM
DasBeaver

Hit and run posting - if you have time to check out KG's show on wfmu today the station is doing a fundraising drive and it sounds like he's pulling out the stops.
2/24/12 8:35 PM
Ali

....maybe I'll get to hear it archived after the fact!
2/24/12 10:15 PM
hugomma

DasBeaver - Hit and run posting - if you have time to check out KG's show on wfmu today the station is doing a fundraising drive and it sounds like he's pulling out the stops.
Sorry I missed it...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.